DRAGON+ Now Available For Ratings

I must admit, I don't personally get some of the reactions to DRAGON+, the mobile app from WotC which launched in April. It's described as "...your official mobile source for all-things Dungeons & Dragons. This free app for iPhone or iPad has everything you want to know about D&D in one easy place. In addition to ongoing up-to-the minute news updates, every second month you’ll enjoy a new issue of Dragon+ showcasing what’s new in Dungeons & Dragons – from backstory and world information to discussions about what’s coming next with the creators and developers of your favorite D&D products." I think it does pretty much exactly what is says it'll do; it's not a content platform, it's one of those "brand news" apps which every company has these days. Perfectly normal. I think it's the name which is causing issues, because - being named after a magazine which published gaming content - people were disappointed that this wasn't that. I'm not personally interested in it, but I don't resent its existence. It's not really designed for folks who are up to date with the latest morsel or tweet from the D&D team.

I must admit, I don't personally get some of the reactions to DRAGON+, the mobile app from WotC which launched in April. It's described as "...your official mobile source for all-things Dungeons & Dragons. This free app for iPhone or iPad has everything you want to know about D&D in one easy place. In addition to ongoing up-to-the minute news updates, every second month you’ll enjoy a new issue of Dragon+ showcasing what’s new in Dungeons & Dragons – from backstory and world information to discussions about what’s coming next with the creators and developers of your favorite D&D products." I think it does pretty much exactly what is says it'll do; it's not a content platform, it's one of those "brand news" apps which every company has these days. Perfectly normal. I think it's the name which is causing issues, because - being named after a magazine which published gaming content - people were disappointed that this wasn't that. I'm not personally interested in it, but I don't resent its existence. It's not really designed for folks who are up to date with the latest morsel or tweet from the D&D team.

Anyhow, I know that many people disagree (some pretty strongly) with my take on the apps, so the first two issues are available on iOS and Android now, and both can be commented on and rated in the reviews section here on EN World. Enjoy! Feel free to rate each issue as it comes out, and leave comments.

Dragon+_01.png

God

Adventurer
I think it's the standard "pissing on the memory of a beloved institution" that's generating the nerdrage, with a side of "unconscious resistance to doublespeak" due to the inexplicable (and unearned) "+". I don't think there would be as much backlash if they'd just called it "Dragon, Jr." or "Dragon Lite," or "Dragon Free" (of charge as well as substance!).

If they'd asked me (and they didn't) I'd have gone with "Pocket Dragon." I can just see the kids whipping it out at school: "Hey Suzie, wanna see my Pocket Dragon? It's got an ooze demon on it this month!"

Using the name Dragon sets it up to be something that WotC isn't intending it to be. I think a big chunk of the ire is basically folks going up to an ice cream parlor and picking out the Chocolate+ because they like chocolate, only to find out that it's really some sort of raspberry sorbet and isn't really very chocolate-y at all. I mean, yeah, the description on the board says "It's a raspberry sorbet" but you call the thing Chocolate+ and you set up certain expectations that are failing to be met here.

If it was an app called, I dunno, Multiverse or something, you'd be seeing less nerdrage.

That's entirely separate, of course, from whether or not it is actually good raspberry sorbet. It could be great raspberry sorbet. But it's not what people expected when they saw the name.

I think this cuts to the crux of the issue.

WotC release an app/electronic magazine/whatever it is. They call it Dragon+. People (somewhat understandably) expect it to be similar to or a replacement for Dragon Magazine. It isn't. Gnashing of teeth ensues.

I agree that they probably would have been best served calling it something else if they didn't plan on providing similar content to what Dragon Magazine used to provide.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
If they'd asked me (and they didn't) I'd have gone with "Pocket Dragon." I can just see the kids whipping it out at school: "Hey Suzie, wanna see my Pocket Dragon? It's got an ooze demon on it this month!"

"I'm sure it does, Billy. You should probably be showing it to a doctor, though, and not me. I certainly don't want an ooze demon in my pants!"

TheSwartz

Explorer
I recall specifically stating in WotC's survey I got on Dragon+ that I don't mind the advertisement nature of Dragon+, in fact you could bring on more of it.

However, I find myself a little dissapointed in this, second issue, I guess because I had assumed that with the advertisement nature (which I still don't mind) that they would be putting a little more meat in their with it.

However, so far that isn't appearing to be the case.

I still have low expectations, though. It's free. But I'd be much more excited if there was 1 or 2 more articles with exclusive/meaty content. That'd be awesome.

OTHERWISE. I, for one, am willing to pay for a paid subscription if it was chock full of goodness, ala a recreation of the Dungeon magazine of old?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Using the name Dragon sets it up to be something that WotC isn't intending it to be. I think a big chunk of the ire is basically folks going up to an ice cream parlor and picking out the Chocolate+ because they like chocolate, only to find out that it's really some sort of raspberry sorbet and isn't really very chocolate-y at all. I mean, yeah, the description on the board says "It's a raspberry sorbet" but you call the thing Chocolate+ and you set up certain expectations that are failing to be met here.

If it was an app called, I dunno, Multiverse or something, you'd be seeing less nerdrage.

That's entirely separate, of course, from whether or not it is actually good raspberry sorbet. It could be great raspberry sorbet. But it's not what people expected when they saw the name.

Not only that, it's a mocha-brown raspberry sorbet that smells like chocolate, and takes you back to when your dad used to buy you chocolate ice cream as a kid. :) as an advertisement app, it does what's intended; but call it "WotC Now!" Or "D&D Exclusive!" Or something like that.

Actually, they had the perfect vehicle - Rich Baker used to have a column called "Ampersand". :) it did largely the same thing, highlighted a topic of the day or a new prodcut they were touting at the time. Yeah, the name is terrible for a wide audience, so not a good choice, but just something that won't make fans of the former Dragon Magazine (in all of its previous forms) think it's an actual vehicle to support the RPG.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I think it does pretty much exactly what is says it'll do; it's not a content platform, it's one of those "brand news" apps which every company has these days. Perfectly normal.

Since I can't stand those those things, i think the fact that they finally created one was a disappointment, too. But I need to learn to delete it, give up, and move on. At least the books aren't going anywhere - though digital versions of the books would still be one nice last thing I could use during play, instead of re-copying everything by hand when they're not in the basic rules PDFs.

Rune

Once A Fool
Your post count (this being the 3rd) and measured call to be reasonable smack of working at WotC.

EDIT: Yeah this guy likely works at WotC, read his posts.

Even if that were true, you say that as if it's a bad thing. EN World has many members in the industry and does allow them to speak, because why wouldn't they?

Erik Mona, Lisa Stephens, Mike Mearls and oh so many more have demonstrated over the years that they are perfectly able and willing to speak their minds without hiding behind anonymous proxies, even if their busy schedules keep them pretty quiet most of the time. I'm pretty sure Gary Gygax was associated with Troll Lord Games during the period he was posting here, too (although his very first posts were anonymous).

Part of what makes EN World so great is that the consistent effort to maintain civility and respect amongst its members makes it the kind of place many people, including those within the industry, might actually like to visit once in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Part of what makes EN World so great is that the consistent effort to maintain civility and respect amongst its members makes it the kind of place many people, including those within the industry, might actually like to visit once in a while.
I agree, and I also admit that I am a bit harsh in my critiques of the direction of the company strategy at times, but most of it is born from frustration at a disappointing level of added content support.

Last edited by a moderator:

MartyW

Explorer
If that is the logic...then why would we trust his post given it's subject to the same criticism? Couldn't he be presumed to work for a competitor and have a vested interest in bashing Wizards?

Positive astroturfing is a very commonly paid practice for a business. Reputation.com isn't the only big league player in this industry (just the most well known). It's a multi-billion dollar industry because large companies (even one like Hasbro) do use these methods.

Unless you are a politician, negative astroturfing is almost unheard of. It only occurs during political campaigns when you get Super PACs working against a candidate. It's not worth the money to try to tarnish a competitor's business, but it is often worth the money to try to polish your own business image online (depending on the product).

Again, I'm not saying there was any of that going on here at all. I'm just following the logic trail of the original poster.

Remove ads

Remove ads