• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Animated Movie Concept Art

satori01

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Sighs. I'm getting used to a lot of things that makes humaniti and mainstream so disappointing to me.

Oh please, pull the cork out quick you might explode!

I like the Tanis artwork seems very true to the Elmore covers. Perhaps it is just the shape of the bodies, and the simple lines on the Tanis piece, but it reminds me of Dirk the Daring of the old laserdisc arcade game Dragonslayer.

Sturm seems to old with his moustaches. I think the drawing needs a bit more youth.

Mercule

Adventurer
Pants said:
I have no idea what picture you're looking at, but Tanis has always been sulky and angsty. He's a half-elf so metrosexual is a good fit. ;)

Hey, Tanis was my favorite character, so you know I don't have a problem with the attitude. I just always pictured him more as more brooding than sulky. For crying out loud, the boy looks like he's going to cry. :D

Ranger REG

Explorer
satori01 said:
Oh please, pull the cork out quick you might explode!
If I pull the cork, I will explode. May not be a bad thing. It would definitely cheer you up at my expense.

satori01 said:
I like the Tanis artwork seems very true to the Elmore covers. Perhaps it is just the shape of the bodies, and the simple lines on the Tanis piece, but it reminds me of Dirk the Daring of the old laserdisc arcade game Dragonslayer.

Sturm seems to old with his moustaches. I think the drawing needs a bit more youth.
"Dirk the Daring" from Dragon's Lair??? :confused: :eek: :\

Could you make me hate the artwork any more? Just keep talking. :]

These pictures have very little or no influence from anime. Whether that's good or bad is a judgement you will have to make for yourself. Although I do recommend watching 'Record of Lodoss Wars' or 'Scrapped Princess' to see what D&D and anime can do together.

As for the pieces themselves, I agree with the comment that Sturm is going to make animators weep if they have to draw all the armour swirls for every shot. Either this is a very early pre-production shot or else they're going to render that design on via CGI.

Now Tanis... his legs are too short for his arms and body. The picture makes it look like his hands are down around his knees, something that is not anatomically correct. Hands should be closer to the waist than the knees.

Barring that quibble, I think the designs are fine and approach the images people like Elmore and the other artists have given us.

Mad Mac

First Post
Heh.

Artist: Mr. Director, Sir!

Boss: What is it worm? I'm busy here.

Artist: Well...me and the boys were thinking. About how great this project is, and how you are the most magnificent human being who ever lived, and we only wish we could all have your manbabies and live in a commune with you or something.

Boss: The stuff everyone is always thinking, right. So what?

Artist: It's, just...me and the other artist love Sturm sooooo much.

Boss: Yeah, Sturms awesome. That's why I got Hickman to approve this new scene where sturm fights 100 Draconians in full armor, plus his long flowing cape, all by himself. The fight runs like 20 minutes, and we plan to show every little dent in the armor as the fight goes on...this is the fight scene everyone will be talking about....Bam! Straight to the Big Leagues!

Artist: Uh, wow...that's just...wow...I can honestly say I want to die just thinking about it.

Boss: Really gets the creative juices flowing, eh?

Artist: Something like that, yes...so much so, that I think our creative juices started flowing in a completely different direction. Like a big raging river of awesome creativitiosity. This is the Mississippi river of great Sturm related thinking, here.

Boss:You got two minutes.

Artist. Well...it's like this...we're thinking...drama...

Boss: Drama

Artist: Yes, drama...something very dramatic...and, uh...suspenseful.

Boss: 100 Draconians is dramatic and suspenseful! High Fives all around!

Artist: Such a kidder..except

Boss: Except?

Artist: Perhaps...subtle?

Boss: Subtle?

Artist: Right. Instead of a huge, life-threatning battle, we're thinking of showing Sturms vulnerability in a different way.

Boss: How so?

Artist: We're thinking, what if...he falls in a river and gets all wet?

Boss: Wet is nuanced?

Artist: Not just wet, but...cold...

Boss: Cold?

Artist: Faced with dire hypothermia, our brave Knight wraps himself in a snowy white blanket which is, of course, completely design free. Shows his purity and stuff.

Boss: Ooh, purity! Then what happens?

Artist: Uh...that's about it. He gets really cold and tired, so he keeps the blanket on and doesn't move much. Like at all. For the whole movie.

Boss: How's that dramatic?

Artist: Well, he moves so little, everyone is going to worry that he's dead or something. No one wants to see Sturm die, so they'll be glued to the screen waiting for the big white lump to spout forth another classic line, indicating that he'll be alive for at least another 3 minutes!

Boss: You are so fired.

Artist: Yes sir. I know sir.

Pants

First Post
Mercule said:
Hey, Tanis was my favorite character, so you know I don't have a problem with the attitude. I just always pictured him more as more brooding than sulky. For crying out loud, the boy looks like he's going to cry. :D
Maybe he just stubbed his toe.

Remove ads