drothgery's Victorian Eberron game - IC

drothgery

First Post
"Forgive me, but we are going rather far afield." Father Mikel said. "Dr. Soldaris, I believe you know of a man of your House named Aerdane?"

Doc:
[sblock]
Aerdane d'Lyrander is, like yourself, a scion of house Lyrander who is fascinated by flight. Although at last you heard he did not have a working device, he was a brilliant engineer, ableit one prone to claiming more success than he has actually had. The last you had heard, he was boasting of securing funding for his latest research.
[/sblock]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
drothgery said:
"Forgive me, but we are going rather far afield." Father Mikel said. "Dr. Soldaris, I believe you know of a man of your House named Aerdane?"
Doc raises an eyebrow at Grant's comment, but says nothing, apparently not rising to any perceived bait. At the Inquisitor's question, he leans back in his chair and begins once again to absently chew on his cigar.

"Master Aerdane? Hmm... yes, yes!" The gleam returns to his eye at the name. "We have some interests in common. He too is looking into recapturing some of the House's old spark, though his manner is more mechanically pedestrian than the elegant artifacts of old. I remember a missive from him, oh... a little while back... something about new funding for his machinations." His eyes narrow as he gazes at Father Mikel, his voice a tad more suspicious. "Why? I can see little reason for the Church to be interested in mechanical flying apparatuses."

drothgery

First Post
stonegod said:
"Why? I can see little reason for the Church to be interested in mechanical flying apparatuses."

"I quite agree." Father Mikel said. "However, Cardinal Sarhain, she believed otherwise."

all:[sblock]Avaliah Sarhain is the youngest member of the Council of Cardinals, though not the most recent appointment. A Khorvar from Storm's Landing (the rapidly growing town on the mainland across from Stormhome), her family has ties to Lyrander.[/sblock]

stonegod

drothgery said:
"I quite agree." Father Mikel said. "However, Cardinal Sarhain, she believed otherwise."
Doc chewed on his cigar a moment thinking. "So, is it she, and thus the Church, the investor, or does she have an interest to checking up on the proceedings?" He shakes his head. "Aerdane is known for his hyperbole, so his 'progress' may be nothing of the sort."

drothgery

First Post
stonegod said:
Doc chewed on his cigar a moment thinking. "So, is it she, and thus the Church, the investor, or does she have an interest to checking up on the proceedings?" He shakes his head. "Aerdane is known for his hyperbole, so his 'progress' may be nothing of the sort."

"Cardinal Sarhain, she used her own funds for this, though the Church has given inventors its patronage before. But he most certainly does have something. Something that was shot down over the Alindan Plains yesterday. With Avaliah aboard. And thus we are here." The Inquisitor said.

stonegod

drothgery said:
"ut he most certainly does have something. Something that was shot down over the Alindan Plains yesterday. With Avaliah aboard. And thus we are here." The Inquisitor said.
The Khorvar's lips tighten slightly at the Inquisitor's announcement. "Ah. I see. So Aerdane has had some success, has he? Hmm." A pause. "So I take it that Master Grant and I are to find out what we can about this `invention,' Master Horace is to lead us to the sight, and Miss Adele is to assist in our protection then? Hmm." Doc losses himself in thought.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Grant

"A flying machine? How is such a thing crafted?" Grant's interest was went up. "Surely there is more than what Doc has said our roles are. Many could fill our roles, why us?"

nonamazing

Explorer
EvolutionKB said:
"Surely there is more than what Doc has said our roles are. Many could fill our roles, why us?"

Adele has been listening carefully to the conversation between Mikel and Doc, and when Grant interrupts, she leans forward. "I believe I can at least partially answer your question, Mister Grant. It would seem that Father Mikel intends this operation to have a low profile--if it were to become widely know that Cardinal Sarhain were missing, there could be trouble. Father Mikel has been known to deal with independant contractors from time to time, so no suspicions would be aroused by his hiring us. Whereas if he acquired offical Church assistance--a regiment of the Silver Guard, perhaps--word of this incident might spread."

"At least, that is my assumption. But I feel that even if this is true, it is likely not the complete truth." Adele turns her attention back to Father Mikel. "Tell me, Father--do you have any idea as to who might have been behind this attack?"

Einan

First Post
drothgery said:
Something that was shot down over the Alindan Plains yesterday. With Avaliah aboard. And thus we are here." The Inquisitor said.

Horace perks up at the mention of the Alindan Plains. "D'ye have any maps of the area where it were shot? It'd help a bit to know where we might be walkin' about."

drothgery

First Post
nonamazing said:
At least, that is my assumption. But I feel that even if this is true, it is likely not the complete truth." Adele turns her attention back to Father Mikel. "Tell me, Father--do you have any idea as to who might have been behind this attack?"

"The possibilities, there are many , and none seems much more likely than any of the others. Was the target the Cardinal or Aerdene's device? Enemies she has, plus and those of the Church and even of Thrane as well -- outsiders seem all to quick to forget the Keeper has not ruled Flamekeep in six hundred years. And the military and commercial possibilities for a working flying machine -- even one somewhat more limitted than the airships of old -- they are extensive." The Inquisitor said. "I cannot think it was the Alindans, though; at last report the plainsmen have no artilery, no seige engines, and no great workers of magic, which would suggest to me that they had no means of bringing a flying craft down. And they are not fools; they have no desire to see a Thranish army on the Plains."

Einan said:
Horace perks up at the mention of the Alindan Plains. "D'ye have any maps of the area where it were shot? It'd help a bit to know where we might be walkin' about."

"You will have what we have here before you depart." He said.

Remove ads