Dune Messiah Movie may be greenlit.

Paul kills sixty-one billion people, but we should take comfort in the fact that his prescience* tells us that it would be worse if he hadn't. As Frank Herbert wrote:

"I wrote the Dune Saga because I had this idea that charismatic leaders ought to come with the warning label 'May Be Dangerous To Your Health'"

*Dingbats
Indeed. In the second part of the novel Paul is faced with choices, and all of them are terrible. It's the fact that he looks for a way out, or failing that, the least bad option, that makes him not a villain. Fayd Rautha Messiah?

But to get this across in a movie is difficult without Paul's inner voice. Judging by the trailer it looks like Villeneuve is having Chani give voice to the dark side of Paul's path. But even with that, without Dune Messiah it would be difficult to show that Paul's path leads not to glory and power, but sacrifice and death.

But to get this across in a movie is difficult without Paul's inner voice.
The problem with Paul’s inner voice is that it’s hard to give it any objective truth value. I mean, Pol Pot and Idi Amin had inner voices, too.

Edit: I mean, Paul’s messianic status is never really confirmed or denied; from a purely human perspective we are forced to consider whether he is delusional or psychotic.

Last edited:

Remove ads