Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure

Attachments

• Picture0005.JPG
    Picture0005.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 64

fireinthedust

Explorer
a) Pathfinder Core and SRD only; does this mean APG is out, since it came out after your original rules?
b) Races allowed?
c) I haven't read any of the "classic" fantasy as you have described except maybe Fafhrd/Grey Mouser. What are you looking for in an 'epic' Bard?

a) I don't have the APG, so I'm taking it out on my players. That and I only like a couple of the classes from it (so far I don't like Alchemist; Summoner is ok, but doesn't conceptually make sense to me as a sorcerer). I like the concept of the witch and the oracle, and the anti-paladin looks fun, but I havn't read them in detail.
Also, I'd feel bad having cornered my players in the Core book.

b) Core or Bestiary 1 & 2.

c) Hrm... usefulness for the party. Bards aren't in a lot of appendix N, though I suppose Gygax might have added Wheel of Time (thus Gleemen like Thom Merrilin) if it had been around then. At this point you'd have mastered "the Song", bardic magic, and could very well be the bardic equivalent of Gandalf the White.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
And by usefulness... I'll be the ultimate Sage, sure. :)

I was thinking of taking the Arcane Bard/Spellsword alternate class feature from the APG, allowing me to wear and cast in heavy armor and give weapon boosts to the party. Allowable, or would you prefer the more traditional bard? I'm happy with either.

fireinthedust

Explorer
thought I'd posted...

a) I don't want to shaft the other players who only got Core, so let's hold off on APG for this adventure.

b) Core and Bestiary 1&2

c) You'd be a master bard, *the* bard. Think Storm Silverhand or the bardic version of Gandalf the White or Galadriel. You're a master of "the song" magic, and both can and likely have brought down mountains using music. You're powerful with music.

Most Appendix N stuff is low level, 10th at most (for Elric, I'd say; though that's not including his sword), and while this campaign is designed with that spirit in mind, I'm expecting 20th level characters. Like, pick the idea you've pictured for an uber character, especially in comparison to an actual 1st level party, and make that goodguy or gal uberbard.

And tie in with the Broken Eagles. I don't want to get sidetracked. They are the focus of the adventure, the linchpin.

Also: imagine you're in the Bloodstone series of modules. Anything can happen at this point.

fireinthedust

Explorer
dratted internet made me re-write!

Feats from APG sound good, if they're SRD.

That swap... I dunno. Can you make it a feat or feat tree? Let me have a look and get back to you.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Arcane Duelist

A master of the martial applications of steel and spell, the spellsword blends both into a lethal combination.

Arcane Strike
: Arcane duelists gain Arcane Strike as a bonus feat at 1st level. This ability replaces bardic knowledge.

Bardic Performance
: A spellsword gains the following types of bardic performance.

Rallying Cry (Su)
: At 1st level, an arcane duelist can use performance to rally dispirited allies. Each round he makes an Intimidate check. Any ally (including the bard) within 30 feet may use this check in place of his own saving throw against fear and despair effects. Those already under a fear or despair effect can attempt a new save each round using the bard’s Intimidate check. Rallying cry does not work on effects that don’t allow saves. This is a mind-affecting ability that uses audible components. This performance replaces countersong.

Bladethirst (Su)
: An arcane duelist of 6th level or higher may use performance to grant one weapon, one natural weapon, one end of a double weapon, or 50 items of ammunition of the same type within 30 feet a +1 enhancement bonus. This enhancement bonus increases by +1 for every three levels after 6th (maximum +5 at 18th level). These bonuses stack with existing bonuses and may be used to increase the item’s enhancement bonus up to +5 or to add any of the following weapon properties: defending, distance, ghost touch, keen, mighty cleaving, returning, shock, shocking burst, seeking, speed, or wounding. If the weapon is not magical, at least a +1 enhancement bonus must be added before adding special abilities. This performance replaces suggestion.

Mass Bladethirst (Su): An arcane duelist of 18th level or higher can use his bladethirst performance to enhance the weapons of as many allies as desired within 30 feet. The bonus provided by this power is +4 if conferred on two allies, +3 for three allies, +2 for four allies, and +1 for five or more allies. The power granted to each weapon must be identical.
This ability replaces mass suggestion.

Bonus Feats:
An arcane duelist weaves might and magic in his combat style, gaining the following bonus feats at 2nd level and every four levels thereafter:

This ability replaces versatile performance and well-versed.

Arcane Bond (Ex):
At 5th level, an arcane duelist gains the arcane bond ability as a wizard, using a weapon as his bonded item. He may not choose a familiar or other type of bonded item. He may use the hand holding his bonded weapon for somatic components. This ability replaces lore master.

Arcane Armor (Ex):
At 10th level, an arcane duelist gains Medium Armor Proficiency and can cast bard spells in medium armor with no chance of arcane spell failure. At 16th level, he gains Heavy Armor Proficiency and can cast bard spells in heavy armor with no arcane spell failure.
This ability replaces jack of all trades.

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
The Magician alternate class features are even tastier if you want me to sub as a wizard. ;) I could add that Plane Shift spell to my spells known.

[MENTION=51930]fireinthedust[/MENTION], ye gods... they took my favorite class and made it SO MUCH BETTER... *droolz*

Remove ads