• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Easy questions I think

DracoSuave

First Post
If ignore vulnerability, wouldn't you also ignore resistances?

Though you have a point on the stacking part... forgot about that. :erm:

Resistance applies to all damage. Vulnerability applies to damage from attacks. They are not the same thing. Tho they are kinda mirrors of each other, they aren't -completely- the same thing.

Engilbrand

First Post
The question came into my mind when I looked at the new Paragon Path for Swordmages previewed on DDI. One of the abilities allows you to do something like 10 typed damage on a miss, or 5 typed ongoing damage of whatever the creature's vulnerability is. This made me wonder if they did this so that the creature would take 10 typed damage at the beginning of its turn until it saves. The alternative, more damage on a miss than on a hit, didn't make much sense to me.

Tellerve

The question came into my mind when I looked at the new Paragon Path for Swordmages previewed on DDI. One of the abilities allows you to do something like 10 typed damage on a miss, or 5 typed ongoing damage of whatever the creature's vulnerability is. This made me wonder if they did this so that the creature would take 10 typed damage at the beginning of its turn until it saves. The alternative, more damage on a miss than on a hit, didn't make much sense to me.

What paragon path was that? Trying to find it, such an annoying website.

Tellerve

I think that it's called the Arcane Hunter. It's a preview for Arcane Power. It was previewed just a few days ago.

I really hate WotC's site. I have paid my subscription to DDI, I log in at the top, and can't find where in the heck this preview is on their website. Really frustrating.

In any case, trying to get the thread back to where it was originally going. Anyone have any customer service feedback on the Insubstantial and resistance/vulnerability thing?

Griogre

First Post
I hear you on the Wizard's website - it sucks. On the Insubstantial and Vulnerable to radiant - I wrote into them and asked about the order. I'd quote it but their stupid web site won't retrieve the letter. :(

They said half the damage first then apply the vulnerable. I knew that CS likes to say yes so I just offered them a list of how to do it plus a something else option. They picked the half then add vulnerable one.

Trebor62

First Post
I agree, I'd still have the vulnerable creature take the extra damage. If something is burning from ongoing fire, and it really is vulnerable to fire, then well, it should take the extra damage.

Onto another perhaps easy question I just remembered. At what point do you do the vulnerable for something that is insubstantial? If someone hits a wraith with a radiant power for 10 damage, do you add say the vulnerable 5 to make 15 and then half it and round down to 7. Or do you take half of the 10, to 5 and then add the vulnerable to 10 damage?

Great question.

D&D Q&A archive answered this one on 11/10/08.

You add the vulnerablity and then apply the insubstantial. Thus in your example the damage would be 7.

They said half the damage first then apply the vulnerable. I knew that CS likes to say yes so I just offered them a list of how to do it plus a something else option. They picked the half then add vulnerable one.

D&D Q&A archive answered this one on 11/10/08.

You add the vulnerablity and then apply the insubstantial. Thus in your example the damage would be 7.

Yep; much as I hate to say it, in this case Customer Service really did steer you wrong, Griogre. Trebor62's got it right. When I first began working on 4E stuff, this was one of the first questions I asked Andy Collins. He confirmed that insubstantial halves everything, including the extra damage from vulnerabilities.

Tellerve

Any dice that you would normally get on an attack (Warlock's Curse, Hunter's Quarry, etc.) are maxed. Dice that are conditional upon getting a critical (magic weapon, Devastating Critical, etc.) are rolled.

I would be interested in hearing the second. My gut tells me that you still receive the additional effect.

Anybody have any insight about the poison with additional effect affecting you if you happen to have a item that gives a resist poison equal to the damaging portion of the attack?

DracoSuave

First Post
Resistance only applies to damage. Anything else is not damage and resistance does not touch it, negate it, even if damage is zero.

Remove ads