EDIT - Looking for a few suggestions on a HOLY Warrior Build

jarlaxlecq

First Post
Thanks Everyone those are some great suggestions. One thing someone else on a differant board brought up that seemed to make sense was that since so far no one is a cleric that i sould try to multiclass as a Cleric or be a Paladin for Buffs and healing? Think its a good idea?

MorganKiller

First Post
Well... a pretty cool charachter in our party is a Paladin/cleric/templar, he can hit hard, heal and buff himself. Now, since you don't have his nice stats, I would suggest Fighter instead of Paladin. The fact is... he is not the only tank in the party, so I'm not sure he can stand a lot of punishment... If you have a second combat character, and a second cleric too, this rocks... If he must be your main fighter... stick to a plain fighter (or barbarian or paladin)...

mikebr99

Explorer
jarlaxlecq said:
Thanks Everyone those are some great suggestions. One thing someone else on a differant board brought up that seemed to make sense was that since so far no one is a cleric that i sould try to multiclass as a Cleric or be a Paladin for Buffs and healing? Think its a good idea?
I'll point you again to the #12 post for how I feel about clerics. ;)

Mike

jarlaxlecq

First Post
Korak said:
Some of the other posters have listed numerous possible paths and styles to choose from. Perhaps we could give you some more specific advice if you were to let us know what your preferences are. What kind of fighter interests you? What kind of things would you like your fighter to be good at?

Basically when i picture in my mind's eye a Fighter several come to mind but it basically brakes down into two classes, Heavy and Light. Since my role in this adventure is going to be heavy Fighter two pictures come to mind. A Huge Muscle bown fighter (think Conan but with medium armor on) with a equally huge Sword strapped to his back. The other is of a Knight. A guy on a horse in customised full plate and a large one handed sword (Bastard S.) in his hand an a Shield in the other. The Movie at the end of the original Human Campaign of Warcraft 3 (Arthas) would be a cool example (except maybe less evil looking armor ;) ) I can picture other types of Fighter but they are lighter fighters dual wielding rapiers and doing backflips over their adversaries. I hope that helps.

DarkMaster

First Post
Darklone said:
Paladin fighter knight with some nice Divine feats? Parsival or Galahad type?

Low level Paladin is not a good Tank, unless you are very lucky generating your character (like everybody on this board) and you get 16+ everywhere but INT and DEX. Same thing with a point build. If you want to be able to use all your power effectively you need to put points in ability not needed to be a tank.

Saw one die thinking he was able to follow the fighter.

Never heard of the "fable" the frog that wanted to be an ox.

jarlaxlecq

First Post
DarkMaster said:
Low level Paladin is not a good Tank, unless you are very lucky generating your character (like everybody on this board) and you get 16+ everywhere but INT and DEX. Same thing with a point build. If you want to be able to use all your power effectively you need to put points in ability not needed to be a tank.

Saw one die thinking he was able to follow the fighter.

Never heard of the "fable" the frog that wanted to be an ox.

If we play we can role for our scores or use a 32 point buy. If i went with the buy i'd get the following scores

Str = 16
Dex = 12
Con = 16
Int = 10
Wis = 10
Chr = 16

When you factor in the Assimar as a race (pending DM approval) that would become

Str = 16 (+3)
Dex = 12 (+1)
Con = 16 (+3)
Int = 10 (0)
Wis = 12 (+1)
Chr = 18 (+4)

If i were to go paladin it'd be a Chr based Paladin with as many divine feats as i could get.

Korak

First Post
James McMurray said:
When the only melee character in he party avoids the foe's full attacks, the remainder of the party suffers them. Your barbarian will be much better at srving that than the rogue or the wizard. When there's only one party member on the front lines, his job is generally to remain in that front line.

It all depends on the position of your party mates. If no one else in the party needs flanks, or will otherwise be in the full attack range of the enemy, you can make your stab and retreat with spring attack to a point beyond the enemies full attack but still preventing a charge at your allies.

jarlaxlecq said:
If we play we can role for our scores or use a 32 point buy. If i went with the buy i'd get the following scores

Str = 16
Dex = 12
Con = 16
Int = 10
Wis = 10
Chr = 16

That is a 38 point buy... rather high. You buy stats up from 8, and 15s and 16s start to cost more than 1pt per pt. Each 16 costs 10 points, the 12 costs 4, and the 10s cost 2 each.

Anyway, yes, if you are allowed a very high point buy, paladins can be great, monks too. However, at a more standard point buy, they are significantly weaker.

Remove ads