EDIT - Looking for a few suggestions on a HOLY Warrior Build

jarlaxlecq

First Post
Darklone said:
Ask your DM for approval if you can multiclass freely with the paladin/ftr.

Aasimar was ECL+1, right?

I'll run it by him but Paladins of Torm according to the FR book can multiclass with one class freely. and yeah Aasimar are ECL +1, i suppose i can make him Human if need be, the extra feat would come in handy. I picked Aasimar more for role playing purposes. hmm, its a tough call, either +2 to Chr or 1 Extra feat and quicker leveling up. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Endur

First Post
My low-level tank was a Paladin. He was a tank amongst tanks (retired now and living happily ever after while raising a family).

28 point buy
Str 14
Dex 14
Con 14 +2 racial bonus=16
Int 8
Wis 12
Chr 14 -2 racial penalty=12

race: mountain dwarf
starting armor: chain mail + large shield
AC: 10 +5 armor +2 shield +2 dex = 19 (very good for level 1)
starting feat: toughness
starting hit points: 10 +3 con + 3 toughness = 16 (excellent for level 1)

I went 6 levels as a mountain dwarf, then 1 level of fighter, then Dwarven Defender after that.

Darklone

jarlaxlecq said:
I'll run it by him but Paladins of Torm according to the FR book can multiclass with one class freely. and yeah Aasimar are ECL +1, i suppose i can make him Human if need be, the extra feat would come in handy. I picked Aasimar more for role playing purposes. hmm, its a tough call, either +2 to Chr or 1 Extra feat and quicker leveling up. What do you guys think?
Ah, FR... right. Sue me. ;)

Since you're going with ftr multiclass, you'll have some nice feats and your spellcaster level will already be low. I'd worry more about the hitpoints you're going to miss for that Aasimar level. It's less strong than a human, you'll get Divine Might at class level 5 earliest, (e.g. level 6 without ECL)...

But Aasimar has style.

uzagi_akimbo

First Post
jarlaxlecq said:

Hmmm don't Aasimar have a Wis +2 and a Cha+2 bonus ? I know they do around here (FRCS page 16 ).
I would stick with the Aasimar over the human build though, Darkvision is major mojo, and you have some really funny Aasimar race related feat options if you look through Races of Faerun (Celestial Bloodline plus either Eyes of Light or Outsider Wings ). Beats the few extra skill points on a main tank, and Feats should be less of a problem if you multiclass with Fighter.

Last edited:

MorganKiller

First Post
Wonderul rolls... with such stats everybody should play a paladin... :)

Anyway... why bastard sword? I could understand it if you were playing a human fighter. I would stick to longsword/battle axe/warhammer (depending on what you like) and shield. Actually, using one of these weapons two-handed is almost identical to using a bastard sword. Since you don't play a human single class fighter I would suggest to use your feats to buy more useful feats (dodge, mobility and spring attack, combat expertise and improved disarm or improved trip but also sunder, cleave and those nice divine feats...).

Since you have less HP than your friends (due to level adjustment) at low levels you shouldn't overlook the idea of carrying a shield.

Of course IMO... ;)

Gaius Agricola

First Post
My suggestion, and mind you, this is based only on the first page of responses, is to go fighter/barbarian.

I highly suggest Power Attack, Cleave, Imp Sunder (or Imp Bull Rush, or Imp Overrun). Go 1 Barb, then 2 fighter, then 1 barb, etc, alternate. The feats will give you the versatility to survive, and the extra HP, rage, and skills of the Barb allow you to be the tank. The extra speed doesn't hurt, either. I suggest a Greatsword or Great axe, chain shirt, maybe a shield and a spare weapon for those times when you need the extra AC.

My co-DM has a similar fighter/barb hobgoblin (Kalamar campaign), which I ran last night (we alternate running the game, so I played his character and mine last night). He created the character, then let me play him. I illustrated the danger of a raging barbarian with an 18 base Str, even a disarmed barbarian (we were stripped of our weapons by a mindflayer), when he's punching you for +6 damage.

He's our tank, I play the Gnome Dog-Cavalry, with ride-by-attacks a-plenty.

Hope that helps.

Endur

First Post
And, of course, another option for a tank is to play the "monster" tank.

Ask the GM if you can play a Centaur. Str +8, Dex +4, Con +4, Wis +2, Int -2. ECL 6, which includes 4 monstrous humanoid d8 hit dice. Can use weapons one larger size (since Centaurs are large). +3 natural armor. Favored Class: Ranger, but they are effective as any fighter type. Darkvision, etc.

jarlaxlecq

First Post
One of the things i'm going for is a Holy Warrior, my natural instint is to go Paladin but since my guy is an Aasimar that kind of meets the "Holy" part of it. Running with that idea i came up with this alternate, tell me what you think.

Class: Fighter Lvl 1
Race: Aasimar
Sex: Male
Align: Lawful Good
Deity: Torm
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 192lbs
Speed : 30

Abilities
----------------
Str 17
Dex 15
Con 16
Int 13
Wis 12
Chr 16

These are the same rolls from the paladin, when they are that good you can understand why i dont want to reroll :)

Hp: 13

AC: 18

Skills
---------------

Feat
--------------
Exotic Weapon: Bastard Sword
Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword)

The reason for the Bastard Sword is it gives me flexability if useing the weapon one or two handed. That allows me to get use out of a power attack for maximun damage for through on a Shield what AC is more important.

Equipment
--------------
Bastard Sword
Large Metal Shield
ScaleMail
Backpack
Bedroll
Flint and Steel
Torch
80GP

Abilities
-------------
Acid, Cold, Elec Resistance 5
Light 1/Day
+2 Spot and Listen
Darkvision 60

The advantage of this build is the extra feats which will allow me to get stuff like Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical etc while allowing me to use my non-fighter feats to get stuff like Celestial Blood Line and Outsider Wings (I read up on them and they seem very Cool) The down side would be worse saves and not being able to use Divine Feats

Last edited:

jarlaxlecq

First Post
This is another alternative

Class: Cleric Lvl 1
Race: Aasimar
Sex: Male
Align: Lawful Good
Deity: Torm
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 192lbs
Speed : 30

Abilities
----------------
Str 15
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 12
Wis 19
Chr 15

These are the same rolls from the paladin, when they are that good you can understand why i dont want to reroll :)

Hp: 11

AC: 18

Skills
---------------

Feat
--------------
Power Attack

Equipment
--------------
Great Sword (Torm's Perfered Weapon)
Large Metal Shield
ScaleMail
Backpack
Bedroll
Flint and Steel
Torch
Holy Symbol of Torm
55GP

Abilities
-------------
Acid, Cold, Elec Resistance 5
Light 1/Day
+2 Spot and Listen
Darkvision 60
Divine Spells
Domains Good, War

The advantage of this build are the spells that i can use to heal and buff both myself and others in the Party. I would still be able to use Devine Feats. I still plan on using my to get stuff like Celestial Blood Line and Outsider Wings . The down side would be lower BAB and Hit Points

jarlaxlecq

First Post
hmm i just saw the news and saw the Prestige class Paladin in the Unearth Arcana book..... hmmm that might just be the answer. I could use a Fighter/Cleric (Aasimar of course) then get the Paladin Prestige class afterwards. Lol yeah thats perfect.

Remove ads