• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elite: Year One - Issue #1

Mordane76

First Post
"Mein Gott! Nicht kann ich etwas Frieden herum erhalten hier?" Frida thinks to herself, going to a window nearest the source of the noise.

Translation:
My God! Can't I get some peace around here?

Last edited:

Synchronicity

First Post
Christopher Jones

Tokiwong said:
“Oh where are my manners, yeah a merger is in the works, it should be final by the end of the week. I have been placed in charge of looking over the rosters of the current employees and find those that are not needed during the restructuring. You don’t have to worry, BioGen is looking forward to working with you Christopher,” Vera replies.

“BioGen has received a sizeable grant to do work with the United Nations into looking into the phenomena happening around the world. We are assembling a team as we speak, and your name came up, and after reviewing your records BioGen thinks you would be perfect for the team,” Vera says enthusiastically.

'That's perfect! If I'm on a team tasked with studying this new phenomena, with any luck I'll have samples provided by other people to examine! I won't have to run the risk of discovery by using myself as the subject, and I'll get a better idea of what all this entails into the bargain!'

To observers, Chris's eyes seem to light up, and his smile becomes larger and more enthusiastic. His polite demeanour is replaced by the delighted incredulity of a fanatical scientist..

"Really?! I was hoping I could somehow do some research into this strange phenomena on my own time, besides my work for VanDyne..but to be part of a team doing it full time would be perfect! From what I've heard about the way the phenomena have been occuring, I've been considering possible explanations, but lacking an data of course it's all just been supposition. I..ah...who else is going to be a part of this team? Who will be leading it? Is the team going to have co-operation from any of the people who've developed abilities -say, Mr McCoy, or...oh, what's his name..that Czechoslovakian man?"

Chris controls himself up with an effort, his grin becoming sheepish. "Sorry. It's not every day you get your dream job handed to you on a plate. It's a fascinating field of study, and I've been dying to do some work on it. Is there a estimated amount of time until the team is ready, or is it more in the preliminary stages? And is there anything you need from me at the moment? I think you may have gathered that I'm more than willing to be a part of this initiative."

Last edited:

Samnell

Explorer
Tokiwong said:
The first message from father is well similar to the rest he leaves with many adulations for Jan’s latest appearance in the news. Some questions on how he is doing, and then a healthy dose of political rhetoric and what Jan should be doing with his newfound abilities, to help the cause…
Pained, Jan listens to the predictable message and tries to decide again how much is genuine and how much is naked self-interest.

The second message is about to start, when the power goes out with a satisfying zap.
"It wasn't I!" Jan defends himself to the empty room. "Bloody Hell. Ought to sell myself into the grid." Jan turned back to his door and opened it, looking for lights in outside and in other buildings. At least I don't think it was I.

Mimic

First Post
Tokiwong said:
Todd looks over as well, "Yeah, why is that so surprising?"

"Well, for one thing I thought you and Jen were pretty happy together." She tells him raising up her index finger to emphases the points she is making.

"Two, Jennifer is like my best friend and I wouldn't want to do anything to hurt her. Besides I always kind of thought you just put up with me because Jen and I hang around each other." Sam tells him the last part sheepishly.

"Todd likes me? Wow, that's a mind blower... he is kind of cute though." Sam thinks to herself as she talks to him.

Calinon

First Post
Mr. Maynard shakes his head, “Good god man, I thought we won the war already,” he sighs, “You were one of my best workers Jason. But don’t you worry when you are done with your stint over there this job will be waiting for you. I can’t say I am not disappointed though, but Uncle Sam needs you boy,” he pats Jason on the shoulder, God bless you out there, be safe and come home in one piece.”
"Yeah. Thanks," Jason says with a glance at Major Grant, too worried about saying anything wrong to really say much. "I don't like leaving with this short of notice, but there's a lot I have to do in the next few days. I better get home and tell Alan; he's gonna love this," he says with a bit of a groan.

"Hopefully see you later," he adds, heading to recover his jacket and lunchbox so he can take the subway back home already.

Rybaer

First Post
Tokiwong said:
David shrugs, “I heard Barcelona being tossed around but nothing is final. Anything can happen, look we just have to stay flexible, talk it over with your wife, and figure out if you want to do this. I really want you onboard but I understand if you can’t.”

He spins the racquet in his palm, “Speaking of which, how is the old ball and chain?”

"Wow, Barcelona," Gordon says. He'd been expecting something like New York when David first mentioned relocation. "That'd certainly be a change in scenery."

He picks up his racquet, noting that David looks ready to conclude his weekly thrashing.

"As far as how Lauren is...well, pretty much the same I imagine. She's still buried up to her eyeballs in half a dozen cutting edge genetics projects. Hardly even has time to speak on the phone anymore. I doubt she'd even notice if I popped off to Spain for a couple years."

Gordon sighs deeply, trying not to let his conflicted feelings about his marriage get in the way of his afternoon. He gives the racquet a couple practice swings. "So, you ready to finish this?"

Tokiwong

First Post
Mordane76 said:
"Mein Gott! Nicht kann ich etwas Frieden herum erhalten hier?" Frida thinks to herself, going to a window nearest the source of the noise.

Translation:
My God! Can't I get some peace around here?

There is silence for a moment, before the power goes out. Frida is plunged into darkness; the whole block at least seems to be plunged into darkness. She hears a sound, a slight buzzing in her ears… followed by footsteps in her own home.

Gordon

David smiles, “Sure, let’s jam!” the game ends as expected and they both get cleaned up and head back to work to finish up their work for the day. David enters towards the end of the day, “Hey Gordon, I got some good news, Dr. Bashar Hudabo wants to meet with us tomorrow, and go over some preliminary stuff, you up to it?”

Jason

As Jason and Charles leave, “I apologize for being so threatening, but in my business we don’t like to have mistakes. Do you think you can handle it from here?”

Samantha

“We were,” Todd says, “but things change you know…”

He sighs and turns around looking forward, “I guess you may be right, I just thought if anyone could understand it would be you…”

*SMASH!*

Samantha and Todd are thrown from his vehicle, as it flips into the air and lands in the street. The smoke and debris clear and standing in front of them is a slim woman, dressed in hip clothes. She smirks sheepishly, “Oops, I didn’t mean for that to happen you guys alright?”

Jan

The city lights are out all over. There is an eerie silence that settles over the neighborhood as he goes to the door to look around. He hears a sound on the upper floor, a door closing, perhaps.

You should relax… Jan, close the door. Everything will be fine, a voice says into Jan’s mind.

Christopher

Vera smiles, “I am pleased that you are so eager. I can’t say who you will be working with as far test subjects, but hopefully Dr. Bashar Hudabo can you fill in on the subject. Oh as a caveat we hope that you can glean as much knowledge as you can to apply to in-house projects as well.”

Vera hands Christopher an envelope, “This should have everything you will need for tomorrow.”

Last edited:

Samnell

Explorer
Tokiwong said:
The city lights are out all over. There is an eerie silence that settles over the neighborhood as he goes to the door to look around. He hears a sound on the upper floor, a door closing, perhaps.
I don't think I could take out the whole city's power. Now without feeling at least a pleasant buzz, anyway. "I guess I'm missing the Beeb tonight."

You should relax… Jan, close the door. Everything will be fine,
a voice says into Jan’s mind.
"Isn't that what the voices in my head always say?" Jan asks his flat as he steps back in and closes the door behind him. Fishing around, he found the lamp on the end table by the door and unscrewed the light bulb. He sent a current into it, keeping it very small at first and gradually increasing until he was happy with the light it shed.

"I'll have you know I have an email address in good working order. But very well, you're in my brain now. Why have you come here? I trust it's not for the rendition of the Internationale I had stuck in there yestereve."

Mimic

First Post
Tokiwong said:
“We were,” Todd says, “but things change you know…”

He sighs and turns around looking forward, “I guess you may be right, I just thought if anyone could understand it would be you…”

"I'm sorry Todd, I didn't know that things were that bad." Sam says to him as she lightly touchs his arm with her hand, sympathy is evident on her face.

"I am here to listen if you want to talk, but I really think you should..."

Tokiwong said:
*SMASH!*

Samantha and Todd are thrown from his vehicle, as it flips into the air and lands in the street. The smoke and debris clear and standing in front of them is a slim woman, dressed in hip clothes. She smirks sheepishly, “Oops, I didn’t mean for that to happen you guys alright?”

The next thing she knows is she is flying through the air and screaming her lungs out. she hits the ground and rolls with it, spreading out the inerta so she doesn't get hurt. She is up in a moment, swearing in Spanish, until she sees the woman.

"Who the hell are you and what did you do to Todd's car... Todd..." She runs to where he fell to make sure that he is ok.

Tokiwong

First Post
Mimic said:
The next thing she knows is she is flying through the air and screaming her lungs out. she hits the ground and rolls with it, spreading out the inerta so she doesn't get hurt. She is up in a moment, swearing in Spanish, until she sees the woman.

"Who the hell are you and what did you do to Todd's car... Todd..." She runs to where he fell to make sure that he is ok.

Todd shakes his head, “Oh my god… that was my dad’s car he is going to kill me!” He stands, “What the hell happened, who hit us?”

The girl grins sheepishly, “I am really sorry, I was jumping… and… well I jumped several miles, and well I am still getting a hold of how to master my landings. Oh man, I am really sorry, are you both alright?”

Jan

The voice continues, Good, just relax. Please come upstairs, we have much to talk about. the voice assures Jan, but there is an awful buzzing in his ears. The voice speaks once more, Upstairs…

Remove ads