D&D 5E Enigmatic Esoterica Forms

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Welcome to the novel Enigmatic Esoterica! I am developing a DMs Guild product similar to Xanathar's Guide to Everything and Tasha's Cauldron of Everything that will be named Levistus's Codex of Curiosities. I will be (and have been) making other subclasses and content for this product in different threads, but from this point on I will be taking some inspiration from how Wizards of the Coast introduces content through Unearthed Arcana. This will be called "Enigmatic Esoterica," as shown in the title, and will function similarly to Unearthed Arcana. This post will have all the content of this first form, with a survey for it at the end.

Enigmatic Esoterica Form 1​

Path of the Juggernaut​

Barbarian

Base Class:Barbarian
For barbarians who follow the Path of the Juggernaut, unlike other barbarians, they are just as capable in combat with heavy armor as they are while unarmored or wearing medium armor. They turn their bodies into battering rams, shoving creatures and smashing through walls when running at full speed during their battle rages.

Armored with Steel​

When you choose this path at level 3, you gain proficiency with heavy armor and ignore the armor restrictions for the Rage and Fast Movements features.

Charge​

Also at level 3, you gain the ability to shove through and harm creatures you charge into. While raging, an amount of times on your turn equal to your proficiency bonus, if you have moved at least 10 feet in a straight line before reaching the space of a creature no more than one size larger than you, if you have enough movement to make it to the opposite side of the creature's space, you may force the creature to make a Strength or Dexterity saving throw (their choice). The DC for this saving throw is equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your rage damage bonus + your Strength modifier. A creature that is prone makes this saving throw at disadvantage, and a creature that cannot move automatically fails on a Dexterity saving throw against this feature.
On a failed saving throw, you pass directly through the creature's space, they take bludgeoning damage equal to your Strength modifier + your Rage Damage bonus, and they are shoved 5 feet in any direction of your choice. On a successful Strength saving throw, they take half damage, are not moved, and you stop moving. On a successful Dexterity saving throw, they move 5 feet in any direction of their choice, take no damage, and you move through their space.
If you use this feature on your turn, it counts as if you had attacked a creature for the purpose of sustaining your rage. Once your rage ends, you take damage equal to your barbarian level plus your Strength modifier.

Fast​

Starting at 6th level, you gain the ability to make the Dash action as a bonus action on your turns while raging. Additionally, your walking speed increases by 10 feet.

Sieging Charge​

At level 10, you may charge through walls and better harm objects. While raging, if you move at least 20 feet in a straight line directly perpendicular to a wall wearing heavy armor, you may make a Strength (Athletics) check, the DC being the Armor Class of the material the wall is made out of in order to break through. The wall is broken unless it is made out of wood or stone and thicker than 1 foot, is made of mithral and thicker than 2 inches, is made of iron or steel and thicker than 1 inch, or is adamantine and thicker than 1/2 inch.
Additionally, while raging, you deal double damage to objects and structures.

Unyielding Juggernaut​

Beginning when you gain this feature at 14th level, your brute strength allows you to better harm others that you have charged through. When you hit a creature that that has failed a saving throw against your Charge feature this turn with a melee weapon attack, the damage for the melee weapon attack deals an extra damage dice.

Moon Domain​

Clerics of the deities of the moon(s) - such as Selune, Artemis, Sehanine Moonbow, Eilistraee, Knonsu, Selene, and others - are typically fairly rare in most realms and worlds. Due to the obscurity of their deities, they are commonly wanderers, wardens, and sages of the realms. Their deities are often lesser deities, usually associated with healthy change, watchfulness, or the night. These moon deiteis are generally worshipped by hunters, barbarians, astrologers, druids, sages, lycanthropes, shifters, and others who gaze upon the night's sky. Whether benevolent or tyrannical, these deities and their clerics are the bleak light that faintly illuminate the slumbering world.

Moon Domain Spells​

Bonus Proficiencies​

At 1st level, you gain proficiency with heavy armor and martial weapons.

Watchfulness of the Moon​

Also at 1st level, dim light does not impose disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks dependent on sight for you. Additionally, you have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks you make for sight in dim light are made at advantage.

Channel Divinity: Crescent Ward​

At level 2, as an action, you can expend a Channel Divinity to create an aura of warding energy around you that lasts for 1 minute. While this aura is active, every creature of your choice within 30 feet of you (including you) are protected with a ward of shimmering light. Attack rolls made against a target with this ward are made at disadvantage. Once an attack hits a warded creature, they lose the ward.

Moon's Resilience​

Starting at 6th level, you gain resistance to radiant damage and cannot be charmed.

Divine Strike​

At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 radiant damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Moon's Eternity​

When you gain this feature at 17th level, you gain the following benefits:
  • You gain immunity to radiant damage.
  • You no longer need to sleep and magic cannot put you to sleep. When you would normally sleep as part of a long rest, you instead do light activity.
  • You, and all allies within 100 feet of you, regain all hit dice at the end of a long rest.
  • Once on each of your turns when you deal radiant damage to a creature, you may force them to make a Wisdom saving throw against your cleric spell save DC. On a failed saving throw, they become unconscious until the end of your next turn or until they take damage.

Archer​

The archetype of the archer hones their skill in martial combat even further with ranged weapons. Those who practice this archetype of fighting are masters with all ranged weapons and have deadly accuracy and piercing strikes. Unlike Arcane Archers, who blend arcane power with attacks with bowed weapons, an Archer is not as restricted with the weapons and focus on accuracy and aim more than magical effects from their arrows.

Keen Sight​

When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in either Perception and Insight, if you weren't already. If you were already proficient in either skill, when you make an ability check for that skill, you add twice your proficiency bonus for the roll.

Archer's Eye​

Also at 3rd level, you gain the ability to more effectively shoot ranged weapons. As a bonus action on your turn, you may enter a state of extreme focus and precision with your ranged weapons. While this feature is active, an amount of times on your turn equal to half your proficiency bonus before making an attack with a ranged weapon, you may choose to add 1d10 to the next attack or damage roll you make with that weapon on this turn. You may not use this feature more than one time on any attack.
This feature lasts for 10 minutes or until you lose concentration. You may use this feature an amount of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of once), regaining all uses when you finish a long rest.

Unfettered​

Starting at level 7, you cannot gain disadvantage on any attack roll made with a ranged weapon against a creature within 5 feet of you.
Additionally, you may make opportunity attacks with an attack from a ranged weapon.

Constant Readiness​

At 10th level, when you roll initiative with no uses of your Archer's Eye feature left, you regain one use.

Honed Focus​

When you gain this feature at level 15, you no longer have to concentrate on your Archer's Eye feature.

Swift Shots​

Beginning at 18th level, on your turn as a bonus action, you make make one attack with a ranged weapon you are holding.

The Arcane One​

Your otherworldly patron is a powerful archmage, sorcerer, or other arcane caster, such as Mystra, Mystril, Karsus, a Lich, and the like. Due to this, your patron does not need to be literally "otherworldly," in the sense that they live on another world, but they are "otherworldly" by being higher in intelligence, social standing, arcane power, and forethought. No matter your patrons identity or origin, they have enough power to transform you and grant you power as well.

Expanded Spell List​

Spellcasting​

When you reach 1st level, you gain the ability to cast even more spells than before. See Spells Rules for the general rules of spellcasting and the Spells Listing for the wizard spell list.

Cantrips​

You learn two cantrips of your choice from the wizard spell list. You learn another wizard cantrip of your choice at 10th level and another at 14th level.

Spell Slots​

The Arcane One Spellcasting table shows how many additional spell slots you gain to cast your warlock spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher from this feature or the Pact Magic feature. You regain all expended spell slots from this feature when you finish a long rest.
For example, if you know the 1st-level spell charm person and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast charm person using either slot.

Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher​

You know two1st-level warlock spells of your choice.
The Spells Known column of the Arcane One Spellcasting table shows when you learn more wizard spells of 1st level or higher. Each of these spells must be warlock spell of your choice, and must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 7th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.
Whenever you take a long rest, you can replace one of the warlock spells from this feature you know with another spell of your choice from the warlock spell list. The new spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
Spellcasting Ability
Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your additional spells, as these extra spells are granted by your patron.
Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Arcane One Spellcasting​

(Apologies on the formatting for the spellcasting table, I can't seem to find a way to make it more normal looking.)
Warlock LevelCantrips
Known
Spells
Known
—Spell Slots per Spell Level—
1st2nd3rd4th5th
1st222
2nd232
3rd233
4th243
5th2542
6th2542
7th2643
8th2743
9th27432
10th38432
11th39433
12th39433
13th3104331
14th4114331
15th4114332
16th4124332
17th41343331
18th41343331
19th41443332
20th41543332

Arcane Boon​

At level 3, your pact boon is changed by your patron's potent arcane magic, becoming unique and different from other warlocks. You gain a benefit based on what pact boon you have chosen.
Pact of the Chain. As an action while your familiar is summoned and within 120 feet of you, you may change its form into any other form of your choice.
Pact of the Blade. While you are holding your pact weapon, you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls with it, unless it is already a magic weapon with a bonus to attack and damage rolls. If you gain the Improved Pact Weapon invocation, your pact weapon gains a total +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls.
Pact of the Tome. When you get this pact boon, you write 2 wizard spells into your Book of Shadows of a level you have warlock spell slots for. You learn two more spells this way at the following levels: 5th, 9th, 13th, and 17th level. While holding your Book of Shadows, you may cast these spells without knowing them.
Pact of the Talisman. The wearer of this talisman gains the effects as if they were attuned to a brooch of shielding while wearing it, without requiring attunement.

Arcane Recovery​

At 6th level, once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots from your Spellcasting feature to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your warlock level (rounded up)..
For example, if you’re a 4th-level warlock, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.

Empowered Casting​

At level 10, once on your turn, you may add your Charisma modifier to one damage roll you make with a warlock spell.

Spell Resistance​

Starting at 14th level, you have advantage on saving throws against spells.
Additionally, you have resistance against the damage of spells.
Survey

I would very much appreciate it if you were to fill out the survey and give your thoughts. Later posts in this thread from me will be for other Enigmatic Esoterica forms. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Path of the Juggernaut​

Armored with Steel​

Not keen on introducing a subclass ability that nullifies a core class ability (Unarmoured defence). Battlerager did that, but was quite easy to patch.

Charge​

This looks like a more powerful and complicated version of the elk totem (SCAG) level 14 ability.

Fast​

This is stronger than most level 6 barbarian abilities, most of which tend to be out of combat utility stuff. The idea of a character who is heavily armoured and superfast seems a bit silly to me. IF 5e had speed penalties for heavy armour (which it doesn't), and this ability cancelled them, it would seem better. Perhaps something like you can sleep, move indefinitely, and stealth without feeling any adverse effects from wearing armour. The weight of any armour you wear does not count towards encumbrance.

Sieging Charge​

This doesn't seem hugely compatible with existing rules for damaging objects, and is a bit arbitrary when it comes to wall thicknesses - in my experience most dungeon walls are more than a foot thick, so this is usually going to automatically fail. Double damage against objects and structures is fine. Perhaps add ignore damage threshold up to your level.

Unyielding Juggernaut​

I'm not a fan of Charge, but as an upgrade of that ability, this is fine.

Last edited:

Moon Domain​

Bonus Proficiencies​

I kind of feel that heavy armour and martial weapons should be exclusive to War. I would drop martial weapons and give it potent spellcasting at level 8 instead of divine strike.

General comment - Moon domain from earlier editions was focused on (anti)lycanthropes, whereas this makes no mention of them. It also seems to have big overlap with the Twilight domain. You should perhaps look at 2nd/3rd edition Moon domain and base it on that.

Archer​

Seems very weak compared to simply creating an archery battlemaster.

Arcane One​

The changes to warlock spellcasting are complex, and defy quick analysis!

The text on you poll has some "satisfied" where it should have "dissatisfied"!

NB, should your title be Illicit "forbidden by law, rules, or custom" rather than Elicit "draw out" Esoterica?

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer

Armored with Steel​

Not keen on introducing a subclass ability that nullifies a core class ability (Unarmoured defence). Battlerager did that, but was quite easy to patch.
I know it's a bit strange to nullify a base class feature, but it fits the theme. Originally, I was going to make this be a Fighter subclass, but I think it fits the barbarian better, and in order to make this functional, I had to allow this to rage with heavy armor.

Charge​

This looks like a more powerful and complicated version of the elk totem (SCAG) level 14 ability.
I did not mean to design it that way. I always forget that the Totem Barbarian has more options in the SCAG.

Now that you point that out, it is an issue. I'm going to need to change this quite dramatically. Any suggestions?

Fast​

This is stronger than most level 6 barbarian abilities, most of which tend to be out of combat utility stuff. The idea of a character who is heavily armoured and superfast seems a bit silly to me. IF 5e had speed penalties for heavy armour (which it doesn't), and this ability cancelled them, it would seem better. Perhaps something like you can sleep, move indefinitely, and stealth without feeling any adverse effects from wearing armour. The weight of any armour you wear does not count towards encumbrance.
Maybe I could move this to level 10, and change this to something else? I could definitely do something similar to what you're recommending. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sieging Charge​

This doesn't seem hugely compatible with existing rules for damaging objects, and is a bit arbitrary when it comes to wall thicknesses - in my experience most dungeon walls are more than a foot thick, so this is usually going to automatically fail. Double damage against objects and structures is fine. Perhaps add ignore damage threshold up to your level.
It wasn't really meant for crashing through most dungeon walls, more walls for a stronghold or building, but I do agree that this is a bit strange. I could get rid of the first part, and maybe do something similar to what you suggested.

Bonus Proficiencies​

I kind of feel that heavy armour and martial weapons should be exclusive to War. I would drop martial weapons and give it potent spellcasting at level 8 instead of divine strike.
I could get rid of the martial weapon proficiency or heavy armor, but I gave them Divine Strike instead of Potent Spellcasting because the Light Domain gets Potent Spellcasting. Maybe that's not an issue, and if I get more comments suggesting that, I will probably do that.
General comment - Moon domain from earlier editions was focused on (anti)lycanthropes, whereas this makes no mention of them. It also seems to have big overlap with the Twilight domain. You should perhaps look at 2nd/3rd edition Moon domain and base it on that.
I did give them Moonbeam. It also does mention lycanthropes in the "flavor text" section, but not in the way previous editions seem to have done them. I have not played previous editions of D&D, so I was not aware of that fact about the previous Moon Domains. I'll think it over, though.

Archer​

Seems very weak compared to simply creating an archery battlemaster.
It seems weak? I thought that I might have to scale this subclass back due to Archer's Eye granting extra d10s to hit or damage multiple times a round at higher levels for "free."

Arcane One​

The changes to warlock spellcasting are complex, and defy quick analysis!
It doesn't change warlock spellcasting, just gives them more spellcasting. Maybe I should have been more clear with that. They get this spellcasting table and pact magic. It's just something new I'm trying out. I fully expect to have to change this.

Thanks for your reviews!

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Hey, can some more people fill out the first survey? This thread has 485 views, and I only have 3 responses on the survey. I would really appreciate getting feedback, and it would help a lot. You don't need to give fully detailed reviews, just a simple read through and answering 24 multiple choice questions would be enough to help a lot. Thanks in advance.

I am also working on the second form, which will contain an Elemental Warrior (Fighter Martial Archetype), Elemental Blade and Shot Cantrips, as well as the Circle of the Sun (Celestial Druid), and Bladeborn Sorcerer (Weapon-Using Sorcerer). It will probably be up either later tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend

Unfettered​

Starting at level 7, you cannot gain disadvantage on any attack roll made with a ranged weapon against a creature within 5 feet of you.
Additionally, you may make opportunity attacks with an attack from a ranged weapon.

In the Archer sub-class you have him not not having disadvantage at all, not just from shooting while within 5ft of an adversary. This makes it seem that there is no disadvantage at all, even from things like attacking invisible targets next to you.

Remove ads