D&D 5E Enigmatic Esoterica Forms

Have you played with Rogue or Ranger that uses a ranged weapon before? It's pretty much always "plink plink plink plink" with arrows/crossbow bolts. It's still a Fighter, so it still gets Fighting Styles, more Feats than anyone else, Action Surge, Second Wind, Indomitable, and all of the other fighter features. Battlemasters do have more diversity for weapons than this subclass, but IMO that's not a weakness of this subclass, it's a strength of that subclass.
I don't get to play many characters, as I'm stuck being the DM, but I do know a player who played a DPR archery ranger. They where thoroughly bored with the character by level 5.

The subclass design space of 5e is getting very full now, and its very difficult to come up with good new ideas - you can tell WotC are struggling by the stuff they put in Tasha's. But as a 3PP you can be more radical, or you can go very setting specific - e.g. Buclon Archer of Forestia.

Something else I look for is "how many different types of character can I build with this subclass?".

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I don't get to play many characters, as I'm stuck being the DM, but I do know a player who played a DPR archery ranger. They where thoroughly bored with the character by level 5.
Maybe that specific player just shouldn't play archery-based characters. I know plenty of people, both in my group and in online forums, who are satisfied with the "spam one single attack over and over again" characters. If you, or they, don't find that type of play fun or engaging, that's fine. Thanks for giving your feedback and thoughts anyway.
The subclass design space of 5e is getting very full now, and its very difficult to come up with good new ideas - you can tell WotC are struggling by the stuff they put in Tasha's. But as a 3PP you can be more radical, or you can go very setting specific - e.g. Buclon Archer of Forestia.

Something else I look for is "how many different types of character can I build with this subclass?".
I just made this subclass because there is no generic archer subclass in 5e, as of yet. There is the Arcane Archer, Ranger, and Scout Rogue classes/subclasses who typically use ranged weapons, but none of them are a "generic archer." I understand if you don't like the subclass, and I appreciate you giving your feedback.

I don't agree with the sentiment that the "subclass design space in 5e is very full now," as in the course of just about 2 weeks I was able to brainstorm over 40 new subclasses to put in this book that can have a vast amount of characters for them, but that's neither here nor there.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Okay, I currently have 8 reviews for the first survey and 3 for the second one. I would really appreciate getting more responses to the surveys, as the current feedback that I have gotten has helped a lot so far. I understand that some of you may be busy, and this week has been crazy, but if you have looked over my subclasses and spells, each survey should only take about 5 minutes of your time. The "Comments" section to list specific thoughts is completely optional, as well. You don't need to be great with giving mechanical feedback or designing homebrew to fill out the surveys, either. If you want your opinion to be heard on the theme of the homebrew, or any other aspects of it, that is completely fine. All feedback is welcome, and all of it helps with this product.

Huge thanks to everyone who has given feedback, and I can't wait to get more. Have a good day, everyone!

Battlemaster generic archer.

Champion generic archer.

Making up ideas is easy. Making up good ideas is very difficult. Most of the things you have posted so far are too similar to things that already exist. "Sun domain" is included in Light Domain. Eldritch Knight-but-a-sorcerer is too obvious. etc. And people don't get excited by "generic".

If I was going to create something for publication, it would be an adventure. It's a whole lot easier. Subclasses that people will pay for - you don't need 40 variations on existing stuff, you need half a dozen really really innovative and/or flavourful ideas.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Making up ideas is easy. Making up good ideas is very difficult. Most of the things you have posted so far are too similar to things that already exist. "Sun domain" is included in Light Domain. Eldritch Knight-but-a-sorcerer is too obvious. etc. And people don't get excited by "generic".
I did not make a sun domain, I made a Circle of the Sun Druids. I agree that most people don't get excited by generic, but the Juggernaut is not generic, the Arcane One Warlock is not generic, and neither are a lot of the other subclasses I have designed for this product. If you think the 7 subclasses I have put in these forms are uninteresting, there's not much I can do for that.
If I was going to create something for publication, it would be an adventure. It's a whole lot easier. Subclasses that people will pay for - you don't need 40 variations on existing stuff, you need half a dozen really really innovative and/or flavourful ideas.
Okay, then. I'm not going to stop making this product because one person online tells me that it sucks. Thank you for your feedback so far, but if you don't want to give any anymore, I would not be disappointed.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I currently have gotten 9 responses on the first survey and 4 on the second survey. This thread has more than 850 views, and my other one has over 200 views. That means that less than .9% of the people who have seen these surveys and homebrew content have decided to give feedback. I am super grateful to those that have given feedback so far, but I need more. If you have not yet given feedback on the surveys for these forms, I would really, really appreciate it if you did so. It won't take long and is not difficult. You just need to read the subclasses and other content and give your feedback on it in the survey. All feedback is welcome and all of it is helpful.

Again, thank you to everyone who has given feedback and I await further responses. I hate to harp on this, but I really need more feedback for these.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Okay, the new form is done.

Enigmatic Esoterica Form 3: Lifedrinking Magic Wizard Subclasses​

Path of the Steel Fist Barbarian​

Barbarian

Base Class:Barbarian
Many barbarians of different primal paths can physically transform themselves or their environment while raging, but rarely do they as completely and dramatically as the barbarians that are members of the Path of the Steel Fist. When they transform, their whole bodies turn into solid metal, and granting them more physical resilience and powerful strikes.

Metallic Body​

When you choose this path at 3rd level, your whole body turns into solid steel while raging. While you are under the effects of your rage, your base Armor Class while not wearing armor is 10 + your Strength modifier + your Constitution modifier, and you gain resistance to acid, cold, fire, lightning, and poison damage.

Steel Fist​

Also at 3rd level, while raging your unarmed strikes are more powerful and count as heavy melee weapons that you are holding. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, and they deal an amount of bludgeoning damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, and you may make an unarmed strike as a bonus action.
This damage dice increases to 1d6 at level 6, 1d8 at 10th level, and 1d10 when you reach level 14.

Body of Iron​

Beginning at level 6, while raging you are immune to any effect or condition that would incapacitate or exhaust you while you are raging, except for the unconscious condition.

Unbreakable​

When you gain this feature at level 10, while you are raging and take damage from an attack or spell, you may use a reaction to reduce the damage dealt by it to 0. You may use this once each rage.

Crushing Fists​

At 14th level, while you are under the effects of your rage, once a turn when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack that deals bludgeoning damage, you may immediately use the Shove action against the creature, no action required.

Frost Strider Ranger​

Frost Striders dwell in the arctic tundra of the realms, playing the role of a buffer between the settlements of the North and South of the worlds, protecting settlements from harsh weather and creatures, and warding them from other hazards of these lands. They typically work to protect and preserve these people, as well as help them tame these wilds in order to make them more hospitable to these peoples, and allow for them to assimilate into these lands. They have helped domesticate arctic axe beaks, ward off hungry white dragons and remorhazes, and help instruct them on how to gather food for these towns to thrive on.
Now, Frost Strider Rangers wander through these frozen frontiers, driving off monsters they come across, assisting struggling townsfolk and travelers, and attempting to destroy evil clerics and druids dedicated to xenophobic deities and demigods, such as the Circle of Frost in Icewind Dale, Auril's Frost Domain Clerics, and ancient white dragons.

Frost Strider Magic​

Starting at 3rd level, you learn an additional spell when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown in the Frost Strider Spells table. The spell counts as a ranger spell for you, but it doesn’t count against the number of ranger spells you know.

Frost Strider Spells​

Blizzard Sight​

Starting at 3rd level, you can ignore the effects of lightly obscured on areas within 120 feet of you, as well as the effects of heavily obscured created by weather and effects based on ice and snow in the same range.

Harness Cold​

At 3rd level, you can harness your magical adaptations to cold environments to your benefit in combat, unleashing this bond to harm others. You gain resistance to cold damage and ignore resistance to cold damage and also gain the ability to infuse your weapons with magical frost. As a bonus action, you may imbue one melee weapon you are holding with freezing energy, dealing an extra 1d10 cold damage the next time you hit with that weapon within the next ten minutes. Any weapon infused this way loses its magic if it is no longer in your hand at the end of your turn. Each weapon you are holding can only gain this benefit once at any given moment.
At level 11, this extra damage increases to 2d10.

Arctic's Volition​

Beginning at 7th level, you are as resilient as a glacier and as adept at surviving in the wild as the most powerful behemoths. When you make a Constitution or Wisdom saving throw or a Wisdom (Survival) check, you may add 1d6 to the total roll.

Snow Skulk​

At level 11, you are an expert at hiding in arctic environments. While you are lightly obscured or are hidden in snowy environments, you are invisible to any creature that does not have blindsight, tremorsense, or truesight and you are in the range of it. Also, you can hide while you are being watched while you are in a snowy or icy environment.

Quick Parry​

When you gain this feature at 15th level, you can swiftly block an attack that would normally hit you. When you are hit by an attack, you may use your reaction to deflect it to the side, forcing the attack to miss. If the attack was a critical hit, it still hits, but does not deal extra damage dice due to it being a critical hit.

Luck Shifter Rogue​

Rogues of this archetype have discovered how to manipulate luck and karma, combining it with their fine-tuned dexterous expertise. These magical masters of luck originally learned this art form from leprechauns and other lucky fey, allowing them to aid themselves in combat while sabotaging their enemies.

Spellcasting​

When you reach 3rd level, you gain the ability to cast spells. See Spells Rules for the general rules of spellcasting and the Spells Listing for the bard spell list.

Cantrips​

You learn three cantrips: guidance, vicious mockery, and one other cantrip of your choice from the bard spell list. You learn another bard cantrip of your choice at 10th level.

Spell Slots​

The Luck Shifter Spellcasting table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your bard spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.
For example, if you know the 1st-level spell charm person and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast charm person using either slot.

Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher​

You know three 1st-level bard spells of your choice, two of which you must choose from the divination and enchantment spells on the bard spell list, or a dunamancy spell that must not be a graviturgy spell (which need not be on the bard spell list).
The Spells Known column of the Luck Shifter Spellcasting table shows when you learn more bard spells of 1st level or higher. Each of these spells must be an divination or enchantment spell of your choice, or a dunamancy spell that must not be a graviturgy spell (which need not be on the bard spell list), and must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 7th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.
The spells you learn at 8th, 14th, and 20th level can come from any school of magic.
Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the bard spells you know with another spell of your choice from the bard spell list. The new spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots, and it must be an divination or enchantment spell, or a dunamancy spell that must not be a graviturgy spell (which need not be on the bard spell list), unless you’re replacing the spell you gained at 3rd, 8th, 14th, or 20th level from any school of magic.

Spellcasting Ability​

Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your bard spells, since you learn your spells through dedicated study and memorization. You use your Charisma whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Charisma modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a bard spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.
Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Luck Shifter Spellcasting​

��
Rogue
Level
Cantrips
Known
Spells
Known
— Spell Slots per Spell Level —
1st2nd3rd4th
3rd332
4th343
5th343
6th343
7th3542
8th3642
9th3642
10th4743
11th4843
12th4843
13th49432
14th410432
15th410432
16th411433
17th411433
18th411433
19th4124331
20th4134331

Punish the Unlucky​

Starting at level 3, when you hit a creature that has had disadvantage on an attack roll since the start of their last turn, you automatically add your Sneak Attack damage to the first attack roll you hit them with for a finesse or ranged weapon, unless it was made at disadvantage.

Luck Stealer​

At 7th level, when a creature within 60 feet of you makes an attack roll, you may use a reaction to force them to make the attack roll at disadvantage, granting you gain advantage on the next attack roll you make on your next turn. You may use this feature an amount of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Shift Karma​

When you reach level 13, you gain the ability to manipulate luck further, gaining Karma Points equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one). When you or a creature that you can see makes an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you may expend a Karma Point to grant the roll advantage or disadvantage (your choice). You may do so no more than once a turn.
You regain all expended Karma Points when you finish a long rest, and if you end a short or long rest with more Karma Points than your minimum amount, you lose the excess Karma Points. Otherwise, you may use an action to expend a spell slot to regain a Karma Point equal to the level of the spell slot you expend.

Master of Luck​

Beginning at 17th level, your ability to manipulate luck so well that you are nearly infallible due to your dunamancy magic. You gain the ability to cast the foresight spell as an action, requiring concentration. Once you do so, you cannot do so again until you finish a long rest.

Lifedrinking Magic Wizard​

A lifedrinking mage is one that blends two schools of magic; evocation and necromancy. This allows for them to drain the health and vitality of their enemies to heal themselves and their allies. The tradition of Lifedrinking Magic is not necessarily an evil practice, but is often seen as taboo or forbidden by many cultures and religions. The wizards of theis tradition are frequently societal outcasts, but in some war-focused races and countries accept them and induct them into their armies, as they can be very valuable in battles.

Lifedrinking Savant​

Beginning when you select this tradition at level 2, the gold and time you must spend to copy an evocation or necromancy spell into your spellbook is reduced by 25%.

Drain Life​

At level 2, you gain the ability to channel the drained health of an enemy to heal yourself or an ally. Once per turn when you deal damage to a creature with a wizard spell, you or any ally within 60 feet of you regains hit points equal to twice your proficiency bonus, or thrice your proficiency bonus if the spell dealt necrotic damage. You may use this feature an amount of times equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of once), regaining the ability to do so when you finish a long rest.

Dying Toll​

Beginning at 6th level, once per turn when you kill a creature using a spell of 1st-level or higher that deals necrotic damage, you may drain their last bit of life as they travel to the afterlife. When you do so, choose one of the following benefits of your choice:
  • You or any creature of your choice within 60 feet of you gains temporary hit points equal to your Wizard level + your Intelligence modifier.
  • You or any creature of your choice within 60 feet of you loses one exhaustion and is rid of one poison or disease of your choice that is afflicting them.
  • You or any creature of your choice within 60 feet of you regains one hit die, and your next damage roll deals an extra damage die in necrotic damage.
You may use this feature an amount of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining all expended uses on a long rest.

Necrotic Punishment​

When you gain this feature at level 10, when a creature damages you, you may use your reaction to force them to take necrotic damage equal to half the damage you take.

Necrotic Empowerment​

At 14th level, you gain resistance to necrotic damage. Additionally, when you deal necrotic damage with a wizard spell, you may expend and roll an amount of hit dice of your choice up to your Intelligence modifier and add the total roll to the damage of the spell.
Survey

(I would very much appreciate it if you were to fill out the survey and give your thoughts.)

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
@AcererakTriple6 , as I mentioned before I can't be of much help as I don't really design classes / subclasses; however, I thought you might get more feedback if you post these over at the UA subreddit: Unearthed Arcana You might get some more responses, though I suggest you bundle them as it seems to me that bundles of subclasses get more comments than individual classes

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
@AcererakTriple6 , as I mentioned before I can't be of much help as I don't really design classes / subclasses; however, I thought you might get more feedback if you post these over at the UA subreddit: Unearthed Arcana You might get some more responses, though I suggest you bundle them as it seems to me that bundles of subclasses get more comments than individual classes
Thanks for the suggestion. I took your advice, and have the link here:

Weiley31

Legend
Might not be the best exact thing your looking for, but I thought the new elemental Cantrips after the Bladeborne Sorcerer were pretty neat, and reminded me of the 4E Essentials Bladesinger Bladespells.

I honestly think you could still use some of the exact names from said Bladespells and perhaps base them around the SCAG cantrips.

Remove ads