ENworlder created Jackie Chan Adventures! (was: Jonrog1's new TV series "Red Skies")

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Is there any website? BEcause I want to know more while I wait to or three years for French broadcast...

Shadoe's Lady

First Post
My hubby told me about this and planned to watch. I seriously thought I could whip out a book and safely ignore the TV, but no. I must admit I was hooked. I LOVED the female characters, all of them. This is going to be a series, right? I'm looking forward to watching it!

Yay jonrog1. You go, boy!

Ashy

First Post
Congrats, jonrog1!!!! Question - how does one go about getting a screenplay accepted??? Inquiring minds want to know!!! :)

Kerrick

First Post
I saw it last night, after what with bated breath. The commercials got me hooked, though I wasn't sure if it was a movie or a series, and I was overjoyed to find out it was a series. USA has been kind of hit and miss (to me, at least) with their series, but this one is a definite two thumbs up. I loved the part after gunfight in the club, and they catch the guy in the alley, and Cross says something like "Running firefight, dynamic collar, and me just out of the academy" (yeah I know I mangled that all to hell). "I just need to lean against a wall for a minute." That was great. When Li keeps removing the handcuffs... I could go on. The entire show was awesome - the fight scenes, the characters, the interaction... This is a definite addition to my TV lineup.

jonrog1

First Post
Wow, again, thanks for all the support. It's a series ... maybe. We find out the ratings this Friday, and we'll know next week.

I actually got into writing through stand-up, so I had an agent from my abortive acting career. I then started writing, got a job staffing TV shows, and have been working in features for the last 3 years.

If you really want to get started, TV's almost impossible without living in LA, but it can be done. Your best bet is to pick up some books on screenwriting like Syd Field's SCREENPLAY and my favorite Lew Hunter's SCREENWRITING 434 for feature stuff, and then write your movies. Your movies will suck. The first ones always do. Then, after you throw them out, right two good ones, and start calling agents.

For TV, tape a whackload of your favorite show, watch, break it down with a stopwatch, see how the story's done, what characters are focused on when, and then write a script with your own story.

Then do it again for a different show. And make sure both are popular shows. These are your spec scripts, which you then send to agents.

You can also try to find the number for the main office of the a show you want to write on, find out their submission rules, and then try to get in to pitch story ideas. That is somewhat less of a longshot than being struck by lightning ... four or five times.

All in all, the best advice I can give is William Goldman's: "If you want to be a writer ... go lie down in a dark room with a cold towel across your forehead until the feeling passes."

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Pesky Canadian broadcasting...

On the off-chance any Canadian channel picks it up, let me know. Looks like it's so far up my alley I'm going to have to start charging you rent.

Anyway, getting a script written in the first place is a massive achievement -- well done.

Getting a script read is yet another achievement -- good for you.

Getting a script sold is almost unheard of -- you rock!

Getting a sold script produced just never happens -- *jaw drops in awe*

Getting a produced pilot on the air? As if! -- 21 gun salutes all around.

A show appears on the air and informed audiences actually LIKE it? -- sorry, you're clearly full of turd. You've manipulated everyone's minds like some devious mastermind, haven't you?

I'm kidding, of course. Very well done, indeed, Jonroq1. Here's to a long and satisfying career telling great stories!

Now, just get the harmonica going willya...

DanMcS

Explorer
Rebroadcast

Tvguide.com says Red Skies will be rebroadcast (in my area, probably similar elsewhere):
Saturday, 10 3:30 AM 29 USA
Saturday, 10 3:00 PM 29 USA
Friday, 16 11:30 AM 29 USA

And I assume imdb has it right, and jonrog1 is:
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Rogers,+John+(X)

Interesting list of credits. American Outlaws? Badass.

The pilot was awesome. Three fights in the first 20 minutes! Then I stopped counting. I'm going to tape it this saturday to show to my friends and get them hooked. The apple pie jokes were a little hokey, though, might say something to someone about that :).

Remove ads