• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ENworlder created Jackie Chan Adventures! (was: Jonrog1's new TV series "Red Skies")

K'llan Dax

First Post
Don't kill me...

First off, let me congratulate you on writing/submitting/selling your screenplay. That in itself is more than I'll ever do. But before I get all mushy, PLEASE- if you're going to make this into a series, do some research...

1) REAL cops don't say Freeze... EVER...

2) REAL cops carry guns- any cops who dont are a danger to themselves, their partners, and to the people they are sworn to protect.

3) REAL cops don't voluntarily go toe to toe- ever. They have access to other weapons (Gun, Baton, OC spray) to give them an advantage so that they don't have to be kicked in the face.

4) REAL cops wouldn't tell the rookie officer not to wear body armor.

5) REAL cops, when confronted by other REAL cops do not fight. They submit, and wait til later to show their credentials.

6) When a REAL cop interferes with another agencies investigation, and it leads to the death of another officer, there is a massive investigation, mandatory suspension of the offending officer, and a court case which would most likely end up in the firing of the officer, and jail time. Sounds harsh for an accident, right? It is, but its the truth.

7) If someone is in handcuffed, ESPECAILLY after fighting an officer, at least TWO officers should 'assist' her in walking. If some fancy chick kept slipping my cuffs, she'd get a face full of pepper spray, and trust me- I can put cuffs on in a way that can't be slipped.

Now- before you flame me, curse me, call me names and shoot me, let me say this- ALL cop shows do these things. I'm not picking at you- as I said before, congrats on getting published- the fights were pretty cool, ( I did like the gun kick in the air, beat the bad guys and catch the gun scene in the beginning, and the I beam scene was great) Also- having the chick from Special Unit 2 as the daughter of the mom/daughter team was enough to keep my attention.

I have been a john woo fan for quite some time, Hard Boiled and the Killer are two of my favorite movies, and yes, they portray police the same way... My point is that people see these movies, think police can do things that they can't, and then curse the police for not acting.

I guess this isn't a rant against your show- once again- congrats on succeding where so many have failed- it's a general rant that fits in here- So, call me what you will- yell and scream, tell me I'm an idiot, I really don't care. And yes, before you ask, I am in Law Enforcement- I'm an Ex cop, and a current Federal Officer.

K'llan

PS- Cops who handcuff in the front get their wrists broken- it happens, and its not hard to do...

Wolvorine

First Post
Kick-arse, Jonrog1!

Loved it, watched it... then watched the 'encore' showing. Yeah, I watched it twice, it was groovy. :)

I still think, as I told my fiance while we were watching it, that this kind of thing should be called 'Kung Woo'. hehe

Hope it gets picked up as a series -- if the pace, quality, and budget can be maintained. :)

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

This is not a show that offers to be an accurate representation of police work. It is an action-adventure show.

Lawyer shows would become very boring - since they would have to show ever detail. Jury selection alone would take weeks of show time, and wow would that pack in an audiance.

Oh, and let me tell you that ER would become even more nail-biting as we watch the patiences sitting in the waiting room filling out forms.

It is called entertainment. Reality is not flashy and exciting- it is usually ugly and depressing.

I am willing to suspend my disbelief to enjoy a television show.

It must be a peachy time to have you play in a modern rpg.

You sound like the nutty Tolkien fanboys and their nitpickings over the LOTR movie.

FD

Elph

First Post
Thanks!

Just wanted to offer sincere thanks to all who tuned in or plan to in the future. The Pope once said that if women banned together they could rule the world. After seeing ya'lls response, I think the same may be true of gamers.

And thanks to Piratecat for spreading the word and giving us a place to talk about the show. Stay tuned -

jonrog1

First Post
Re: Don't kill me...

First of all, before we get to a post I feel deserves a reasoned response, I want to make sure I'm not misleading anybody. It's not like I wrote this out of my basement and got it made. I do this for a living -- wrote for television for five years, been rewriting films for three. This just happens to be the only thing I've worked on recently I thought my d20 brethren would dig.

Now, granted, I didn't have any contacts or family members in LA, and I didn't go to film school, so hope does spring eternal.

The person to be really impressed by is Andy, from the Dark*Matter campaign. I'd written a whackload of movies and five pilots before this one got shot. His show HAUNTED, on after BUFFY this year, was not only the first pilot he'd written, it's the first TV script he'd written. He really deserves a kick in the head.

K'llan Dax said:
First off, let me congratulate you on writing/submitting/selling your screenplay. That in itself is more than I'll ever do. But before I get all mushy, PLEASE- if you're going to make this into a series, do some research...

1) REAL cops don't say Freeze... EVER...

etc. etc.

Hey, I'm not going to flame you (I'm Canadian, we just don't do that)... just want to point out, I KNOW all that stuff. I'd have to be a chimp NOT to know that stuff. If I were doing a procedural, everybody would behave exactly as they should behave. I totally agree that when shows PRETENDING to be regular cop shows make these mistakes, it must be grating.

I recently wrote a sci-fi movie, and with my physics background, grinding through the sloppy,sloppy science of previous writers was awful. ("A windshield ... in a digging machine. Do you know what you'd see? DIRT! You can't see through DIRT you knobs!")

I don't think in any way, once we do the gravity-defying double-kick leap, anybody could take us seriously as as procedural. It's opera. They could just as easily be spies or superheroes.

It's what's got us in a bit of a bind, stylistically -- the characters aren't monosyllabic thugs, so people assume we can't just be an action show. And so why aren't we out CSI'ing it on crime scenes? (although I've got my own rant about that show. Why the hell are the Crime Scene Techs doing interrogations?)

I have been a john woo fan for quite some time, Hard Boiled and the Killer are two of my favorite movies, and yes, they portray police the same way... My point is that people see these movies, think police can do things that they can't, and then curse the police for not acting.

Well, in my own pitiful way, I think we were pretty spot on with police theory if not practice -- the FBI as structured is a remnant of a different time in criminal enforcement, and the SES squad is based on the Flying Squads of the Canadian Mounted Police. In a weird coincidence, two weeks after we finished shooting a Congressman suggested forming teams in the FBI quite a bit like ours. (I wonder if I could get merchandising...)

Also, that's the reason I had the Riley/Li conflict over search warrants. Although I have no intention to sweat details (again, leaping from fire escape to fire escape), with shows like this you can discuss important themes -- how the Bill of Rights keeps us from sliding into China-like fascism, as much as we bitch about it -- while keeping people happy with the chick-fu.

I guess this isn't a rant against your show- once again- congrats on succeding where so many have failed- it's a general rant that fits in here- So, call me what you will- yell and scream, tell me I'm an idiot, I really don't care. And yes, before you ask, I am in Law Enforcement- I'm an Ex cop, and a current Federal Officer.

Let me be the first to loudly and emphatically thank you for serving your community and your country while I sit behind a desk and make s&%t up. Stay safe, and take care.

Shadoe's Lady

First Post
Re: Thanks!

Elph said:
The Pope once said that if women banned together they could rule the world. After seeing ya'lls response, I think the same may be true of gamers.

:) And then when the women gamers band together, well....

Balsamic Dragon

First Post
Re: Re: Thanks!

Shadoe's Lady said:

:) And then when the women gamers band together, well....

WE WILL RULE THE WORLD!!! MUUUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oops, did I say that out loud? Nothing to worry about, no female gamers here... waiting to plot our eventual takeover... of course not!

Balsamic Dragon

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

Balsamic Dragon said:

WE WILL RULE THE WORLD!!! MUUUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oops, did I say that out loud? Nothing to worry about, no female gamers here... waiting to plot our eventual takeover... of course not!

Oh great, I finally was able to get myself to crawl out from under my bed and you have to spring this on me...

somone let me know when it is safe to come out again..

*wimper*

FD

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Jon, you sonnuva...

I typed Red Skies into the IMdB to doublecheck a hunch, and couldn't believe I was right. How could you fail to mention that you're the freakin' CREATOR of Jackie Chan Adventures? Huh? Having one of KidCthulhu's and my favorite afternoon cartoons created by you makes it all the more fun.

And here I was thinking that the bad guys act just like an adventuring party! You, my friend, rock. :D

Last edited:

Remove ads