• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EnWorlders of Color

Impeesa

Explorer
I'm scottish/welsh on one side, scottish/swiss on the other. Your generic white euro-mutt. My picture's to the left. ;)

I was going to reply that the rest of my gaming groups are all pale-skins as well.. would you believe that I made it to the end of the first page before remembering that my girlfriend (who games with us on occasion) is chinese? :/

--Impeesa--

Skarp Hedin

First Post
Standard child of Albion here, hah. Far as anyone in my family knows, there's nothing but Ireland, Scotland, and England (and precious little of England) in the family tree. This despite one of my great-grandfathers having been named "Alberto". They just liked the name.

As for my gaming group, they're all the same as me, though perhaps from different western European specific extraction... but then, I live in Vermont. We've only got white people here.

(now, that's certainly an exaggeration, but by god it doesn't seem like much sometimes. Statistically the second-whitest state in the Union, after Maine. And that's only since the 2000 census.)

Edit: blarsted typos

Last edited:

ArielManx

First Post
Steve Jung said:
I'm Chinese, though anyone (mis)pronouncing my last name thinks I must be German. :) :rolleyes:

Go figure. I'm German-from-Russia, and my maiden name ended in the same last three letters as yours does. I was asked by a few people over the years whether I was Japanese or Chinese.

:rolleyes:

Usually pointing out my uber-white skin (or the sauerkraut and beer in my grocery cart), or letting them listen to my then-thick German brogue for a few minutes was enough to set them straight... :p

Ariel

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
ArielManx said:
letting them listen to my then-thick German brogue for a few minutes was enough to set them straight... :p

Ariel

It's still thick when we visit your parents. When you've been around your dad a few hours you slip right back into it.

'Course, I do the same around mine!

No wonder our wedding was so confusing: between our parent's accents and me slipping back into my southern accent and you into your German brogue no one understood a word anyone was saying! :p

hunter1828

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
diaglo said:
i'm part Filipino...all the way back...my ancestors ate Magellan.
don't piss me off. you don't want to see me go berserk and try and eat you.

I too come from a long line of cannibals - and there is a running joke in the family about our love of 'frogs legs' (no offence to Frenchmen intended:p) as in 1772 Marion du Frense and about 12 crew of the Mascarin were caught fishing in sacred waters and thus killed and apparently eaten by my ancestors. Also have a few other ancestors who ate people on a regular basis - ps its not the beserk & eat you types you have to worry about, its us quite unassuming and smiling while we size you up ones that are the real threat! -

Anyway I'm mostly Maori (native New Zealand Polynesian) although my maternal grandfather is Scots/Irish (clan Murray of Tullibardine) born in Lanchashire (Preston)

I'm not a person of color - I'm just a perfect coffee tone, like the song says

"what we need is a great big melting pot
big enough to take the world and all its got
keep it stirring for a hundred years or more
turn out COFFEE coloured people by the score" ie people like me :p

MrFilthyIke

First Post
While I look as "white as white can be", being red-headed and
freckled/fair-skinned, the family took a strange route to America.

1/4 of my ancestors were Irish settlers in the midwest long before
the "Wild West" - That's the Murphy side, thus my name.

1/4 of my ancestors were French settlers in Louisanna - That's the
Gion side, married to above Murphys.

1/4 of my ancestors owned land in Bimini, the Bahamas, then changed
locations to owning propety in Key West, these are the Conchs that
I'm relate too (and get my love for islands from).

and

1/4 of my ancestors have almost no lineage that we can find, due to
the strange and noble professions of Salvager, Pirate, and Cigar Rollers.

No noble ancestors, just people with a reason to leave Europe. ;)

My wife was born in Britain, mostly white, but with Idian ancestors in
the past that no one in the family would apparently acknowledge
exsisted :rolleyes: Those wacky Victorian times...

That's about it. :D

So, nobody, huh?

I'm a mostly standard UK-mutt -- Scottish and English, but I've got a fairly significant strain of Portuguese running through me as well, which just means that me and my kids tan well in the summer.

My wife is about as pale as they come, though -- mostly Welsh and Danish.

diaglo

Adventurer
DMauricio said:
Still, I'm sure that with a name like mine, I confuse the hell out of interviewers.(most of them expecting some nice italian guy, and end up with my shaved monkish head popping in for the job)

i sorta get the same thing. no one can pronounce my name correctly. and they think i must be I-talian.

edit: just to name drop some more ;)

as a kid, the only public figure i looked up to of Filipino heritage was:

Gabriel, Roman I. Jr.
Football
b. Aug. 5, 1940, Wilmington, NC
Gabriel passed for 2,951 yards in three years as a starting quarterback at North Carolina State. A first-round draft choice of the NFL's Los Angeles Rams in 1962, he became a starter for a time during his rookie season, but was primarily a backup to Bill Munson in 1964 and 1965.

When George Allen took over as head coach in 1966, he made the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Gabriel the starter once more and Gabriel responded by completing 217 of 397 passes for 2,540 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Gabriel was the consensus NFL player of the year in 1969, when he completed 217 of 399 attempts for 2,549 yards and 24 touchdowns while throwing only 7 interceptions. The Rams won the Coastal Division title that year but lost 23-20 to the Minnesota Vikings in the first round of the playoffs.

Hampered by injuries during the next three seasons, Gabriel was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles in 1973. He had one fine year with the Eagles, but was once more troubled by recurring injuries in 1974 and 1975. He underwent knee surgery in 1976 and retired after the 1977 season.

In his 16 years as a professional, Gabriel completed 2,366 of 4,498 passes for 29,444 yards and 201 touchdowns. He also rushed for 30 touchdowns.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Soy Boricua!

In other words, Puerto Rican - if you want to use the name given to the island by our European conquerors ;)

Growing up most of my gaming groups were mostly other Latino nd African-American kids - in fact for a time it was ONLY other people of color.

In my adulthood, it has mostly been caucasians of various descents - but we've had a good number of women, jews and gays - which are all prefectly good minorities/disenfranchised groups. :D

I wish I could find more latinos into gaming.

Korgan26

First Post
I'm Irish, English, French Canadian. My bother burns if you mention the sun and where I grew up in north central Minnesota anyone not of Swedish or Norwegian was a person of color. :)

Remove ads