Erekose's Savage Tide - Act 1: There is No Honour

Erekose13

Explorer
"I know Vark was a problem, but do you really think my life is in danger? I can go with you in disguise. I'm just curious why you've come to that conclusion. If thats true, then it definitely sounds like I was right to hire all of you to stick around." replies Lavinia, not knowing who Alix suspects.

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Vark was a small fry. He was a foul man who was breaking several laws and trying to extort you, but ultimately I doubt he meant you physical harm. On the other hand, I have hard evidence that there is someone who has been trying to break into your vault and take the money, and if I am right, for which my evidence is overwhelming but not yet 100% conclusive, then our culprit has already shown that they are willing to resort to murder," Alix replies, handing Lavinia the disguise, "It would pain me deeply if something untoward were to happen to you. As soon as you change, we can go to Castle Teraknian."

'No one ever pays attention to servants, particularly not nobles. The disguise is the perfect one to choose, even the symbolism notwithstanding. I can't tell her who it is yet until we have the rats in the trap--the act of springing the trap will seal the deal. Of course, Rowyn taunted me with the fact that the Dawn Council is quite corruptible. This may be another of those days where things end in blood, but a parricide and possible future fratricide is too vile to ignore.'

(OOC: Alix is ready to go once Lavinia dons the servant's garb (and the appropriate servantlike pose and stance, which he will help her with until she gets it if she doesn't have it at first) )

Erekose13

Explorer
"I am glad to have all of you on my side, with the Jade Ravens out of town I'd have never known that someone was after my life. Come lets head to Castle Teraknian now. Your disguise is a great idea, pass me the servant's garb." says Lavinia. She'll step out of the room for a moment to change. It doesn't take her long to return. With a little coaching she'll better fit the part.

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Alix offers Lavinia coaching on how to act like a servant--things like keeping a demure expression, not meeting the gaze of others (more important for her than for a regular servant), standing a bit behind her make-believe master, reading Alix's body language in order to act in tandem, etc. Once she is ready, they head to Castle Teraknian. Alix makes sure to find the same person who let him in a few hours ago.*

"Thank you so much for your help earlier today! My patroness is most pleased that we have excellent people like you working here. Anyway, I'm heading over to the vault again with my friends here. Just let me sign in again--"

*Alix will sign in and try to wave away the suggestion of one of the people to guide him to the vault like this morning, pointing out that he already knows the way and that the staff here has to work hard and he wants to give them a break. If they insist, he will make sure not to actually open the door to the vault until the entire area around is clear (having Tereg help him check for that--he knows his own weaknesses at Spotting). Once all is clear:*

"Tereg, I have a job for you that is very important. I need you to stand guard outside of this door and make sure that there is no one snooping around, trying to get in behind us, or here to see it when we open the door and carry out the treasure. You are the best among us at doing such while remaining unseen. You'll hear me knock softly three times from the other side, which means I will wait exactly two minutes before heading out--that's your cue, if there is someone here, to do whatever it takes to make sure they don't notice us. Thank you Tereg. Everything depends upon you, my friend."

(OOC: I picked him because he's an NPC so he won't miss anything and because he's good for the role)

*At that point (having already thoroughly check to make sure no one is close enough to either see or hear the door open), Alix has servant-Lavinia produce the ring and open the door. After they are inside, he requests:*

"My Lady, let me hold onto the ring for a while. I fear some kind of trap or guardian that will attack whoever enters without this symbol of legitimacy, and yet, we cannot risk that the trap is instead indiscriminate and send you first. I will take point today."

*Before continuing, Alix needs to make sure of one detail--am I correct in assuming that the door is likewise locked on the inside if you don't have the ring? In other words, there isn't some easy way to open it from inside? This is crucial. Once he has ascertained this, Alix will lead the others into the vault, brandishing the ring openly and calling out ahead to any potential guardians:*

"We come in the name of Lavinia Vanderboren, true and rightful heir to the Vanderboren fortune."

(OOC: I posted a lot of actions here in attempt to help us move forward through some simple details since I know you don't have time to post much Erekose. You can absolutely definitely stop me earlier if there's anything important at all!)

Erekose13

Explorer
The group travels to Castle Teraknian. The castle sits alone on an island near the noble district. Once catapults lined the towers to protect the bay from intruders trying to enter the port. Now the castle is little more than an icon for the nobility of Sassarine. The group takes a ferry over to the small dock at the base of the castle. There a bleary eyed youth in the livery of the castle itself ties off his boat not paying much head to the young noble. Once past the bailie, the group can see that the castle grounds have been kept in shape, but show the wear of an unused castle.

The door to the main keep is open for the morning and a bored looking guard in the same livery as the page stands guard, his polearm leaning against the castle wall. He looks up as the group makes its way forward but does nothing to stop them.

Inside the decore of the main room has been kept up to some degree. No longer are there any evidence of the finery that would accompany the lord of a city as grand as Sassarine, but the carpets and lanterns are all well kept. Two score paces into the room a grand desk (of Olman teak) sits ready to welcome the nobles of the city. Behind it a studious scribe works away at a small pile of papers.

Eron Cebran, the scribe is easily bluffed with Alix's return visit and the group passes without issue. Eron even lets them head to the door without his assistance.

The group heads down a spiral staircase into a large circular chamber. Over a dozen five-foot-wide hallways radiate out from the central vault chamber, each of these halls is ten feet long and ends at a single iron door - the entrance to the family vault.

The short passageway ends at a solid-looking iron door. The portal is emblazoned with a simple rune - an eight-pointed star. Above the door, inscribed in flowing script on a polished silver plaque, is the name "Vanderboren". A single handle protrudes from the door, just below a circular depression bearing the mark of the Vanderboren signet.

Tereg agrees to keep watch outside.

When Lavinia presses the signet ring into the small depression above the handle, the door flashes once with blue light, then slowly swings open on creaking hinges. The door remains open until it is closed manually. Testing things Alix determines that the door can be opened from the inside without the ring just by pushing on it. However, while inside the door will not open from the outside without another application of the ring.

The floor of this domed chamber is of polished green marble. Two fifteen foot wide alcoves have lower ceilings and feature marble pillars carved to resemble coiling snakes. In the centre of the room, five similar pillars are embedded into the walls, rising up thirty feet to a dome overhead. Looking up the dome bears a huge representation of the same eight-pointed star that was engraved on the door to the south.

As Alix steps in to lead the group deeper into the vault a raking metal sounds begins issuing from the left alcove. A three foot long snake that looks like a cobra made of dozens of circular iron bans fitted together moves quickly towards Alix.

Roll Init!

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: It's still attacking while he brandishes the ring? Phooey, that's a silly guardian. Well, maybe there's something else that we don't know that we have to do to prevent an assault.)

"Maybe this won't actually attack me--let's leave it alone unless it strikes," Alix suggests, turning to the snake thing, the ring still brandished openly "Umm, the Gray Render looks to the east?" he says to the snake rather sheepishly.

(OOC: 17 init)

Remove ads