• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Even Newer(er) Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

CaBaNa

First Post
Mikara stirs from having been staring at the wall for quite some time. She takes a drink from Artemis' tankard, "Conquering is good,
but saving it is better.
It makes no diff'rence.

The world falls quite well
on its own if given time.
Just you wait and see.

Who wants to rule a pile of bones bleached dry,
or reap riches only in time to die.

I would advise you not to look for fame,
but yet to make for yourself a good name."

The eladrin say much the same, funny how nigh immortality improves an individuals patience. Gil looks Mikara up and down, considering her in the new light of not being a teacher. Though Saving the world has a much nicer ring to it than Conquering the world. You could always help us Mikara, your moral compass could guide our path.

7 Rabbit frowns as he tries to untwist the metal man's words. "So you DON'T have a group of five saviours assembled at this moment? Well, thanks for your time."

Rabbit scribbles frantically in his book. "I'm sure I'll be able to untangle this sooner or later. I'll be back to consider your application again if the stars are right." He hurries back to the bar near Gil, and sits squinting at his charts, rubbing his temples as if to ward off a headache and soothe the ringing in his ears.

So you've met the construct without volume control. I saw him outside, mental note to give him distance, seems like a great warrior from what he's described of himself. Gil takes another long drink from his glass.

Artemis takes his tankard back from Mikara and toasts her, "Mikara. Our diamond... (then circles his finger to indicate the tavern) ...in the rough."

He slides the still full beer tankard back to her, stands and hands some coins to the barkeep. "Keep my spot. I'm still itching from the dragon breath. I'm going to get out of this armor for a moment, take a bath. I'll be back in a bit."

He walks, mostly in a straight line, upstairs.

Later Artemis. Gil tips the cup again, 7 Rabbit, how do you read these charts?

bluesfella

Explorer
HALFLING MEAT? SIR EXSIXTEN NEVER GOES HALF-WAY ON ANYTHING! GIVE HIM A DRAGON AND SIR EXSIXTEN WILL FEAST ON DRAGON WINGS, FACE HIM AGAINST A DEMON AND HE'LL HAVE DEMON MEAT, PIT HIM AGAINST A GELATINOUS CUBE AND HE WILL INVENT JELLO!

Sir Exsixten looks the barbarian UP AND DOWN. WHAT IS THIS 'COIN' YOU SPEAK OF? SIR EXSIXTEN HAS HEARD THE TERM BEFORE, WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

*Zardi slumps his shoulders, disappointed.*

A coin is...hmmm....never mind. Forget I mentioned it.

So...have you ever really fought a dragon?

*He starts to cheer up a bit.*

I'm kind of new to this...business. But I can't wait to face off against a dragon, or a beholder....or even a mighty halfling! My friends have told me they are huge, wonderous enemies!

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
So...have you ever really fought a dragon?

HAS SIR EXSIXTEN EVER FOUGHT A DRAGON? WHY, OUR HERO CUT A DRAGON IN HALF WITH A SINGLE SWING OF HIS AXE! WITH THE CITIZENS OF JUSTICE AT HIS SIDE, HE SLEW A WHOLE NEXT OF THE BEASTS!

He pulls it out and swings it around for dramatic effect, causing nearby patrons to scurry out of the way with sour glances at the annoying and somewhat unsafe construct.

AS FOR HALFLINGS, THEY'RE NOTHING COMPARED TO A FULLING! LIKE A HALFLING, BUT TWICE AS MUCH!

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
7 Rabbit, how do you read these charts?

"THESE charts? I have no idea. I don't think those are real stars he named...

Are you interested in astronomy? I can teach you the basics, but it will take some time. With so many influences to track on subject's life, the calculations get very complex very quickly."

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Though Saving the world has a much nicer ring to it than Conquering the world. You could always help us Mikara, your moral compass could guide our path.
"Don't confuse cynical prophecies for morals. The two are sometimes indistinguishable, but the difference becomes clear the moment they are put into practice."

Mikara stares down into the mug Artemis left behind, watching bubbles rise to the top of the amber liquid.

At first she begins mouthing words, but as her courage, or simple apathy, in creases her voice rises to a soft drone,

"Look to me, my sweet love, as you lie prepared for dreams.
Let heartbeats be your soothing drums as breaths become your wings.

Straight as arrows flight you fly as off to sleep you wend.
Nightmares will not find you here in Si-Falingalen

The morning dew will wet your lips with kisses and a smile,
and you will all too soon feel like you've slept too short a while,

But sunlight beaming through the trees will give you strength again
to face whatever meets you here in Si-Fanlingalen."

The song grows in volume slightly, but there is less strength in her voice. Tears well in her eyes, though they do not fall. The key of the song changes from major to minor, and

"Oh mother you were such a fool. I let myself believe
that morning light would give what you knew I could not receive.

The night stole you away, and you were gone from this world when
the sun's light fell upon the leaves of Si-Falingalen.

Our glory is now all but gone as you are now, I fear.
No nightmare can compare with what I've seen while I've been here.

They came with axe and hewed our homes. They burned our life and shade.
They carried off the living wood and cut our earth with spade.

And now I'm spirited away and can't return again,
but there is naught to return to in Si-Falingalen."

Her voice cracks a little as the song ends, and she folds her arms in front of her. She lays her head down on her arms and closes her eyes.

FourMonos

First Post
Artemis isn't sure what made him pause at the top of the stairs. He was enjoying the view of the motley collection of tavern patrons when he heard the song. He listened quietly. With a set jaw, he turns quietly and heads to his room.

rb780nm

First Post
"You are much too sad. We hunted today, and we brought down strong prey. You landed the killing blow on the strongest of them. We survived, what more is there to seek in a day?" Sound of Stone stands from table and stretches. "My people do not sleep like you fleshy ones do, but I need rest - My wounds from today's hunts are many and need tending

"Do not allow anything to happen to the inn while I am in my torpor."
Sound of Stones mandibles clatter in an approximation of a laugh. "And call for me if another like me arrives, or a person enters who requires the dispensation of justice."

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
"Look to me, my sweet love, as you lie prepared for dreams.
Let heartbeats be your soothing drums as breaths become your wings.

Straight as arrows flight you fly as off to sleep you wend.
Nightmares will not find you here in Si-Falingalen

The morning dew will wet your lips with kisses and a smile,
and you will all too soon feel like you've slept too short a while,

But sunlight beaming through the trees will give you strength again
to face whatever meets you here in Si-Fanlingalen."

"Oh mother you were such a fool. I let myself believe
that morning light would give what you knew I could not receive.

The night stole you away, and you were gone from this world when
the sun's light fell upon the leaves of Si-Falingalen.

Our glory is now all but gone as you are now, I fear.
No nightmare can compare with what I've seen while I've been here.

They came with axe and hewed our homes. They burned our life and shade.
They carried off the living wood and cut our earth with spade.

And now I'm spirited away and can't return again,
but there is naught to return to in Si-Falingalen."

Sir Exsixten, never to be outdone, immediately launches into his own version:

LOOK AT SIR EXSIXTEN, ADORING FANS, AS YOU DREAM OF BEING HIM.
LET YOUR MEAT-PUMPS BE AERIAL PROPELLANT AS... UM... INTERNAL AIR EXCHANGE PROPELS YOU INTO THE SKY.

UM... A SPEAR LAUNCHED IN A STRAIGHT LINE AT FORTY FEET PER SECOND HITS THE GROUND AFTER THREE SECONDS.
HOW HIGH WAS THE PROJECTING DEVICE THAT FIRED SAID SPEAR?

THE MORNING DEW WILL CAUSE RUST, SO IF YOU ARE EXPOSED TO IT,
FEAR NOT! STEEL WOOL AND DETERMINATION WILL HALT ITS INEXORABLE ADVANCE.

BUT... ERM... <MEMORY FAULT: EMULATION/INFRINGEMENT MODULE HARMONIC-OVERLOAD STRAIN, INITIATE IMPROVISATION MATRIX - ERROR: CASCADING TERMINAL EGO-RESONANCE, ENTHUSIASMOTOR OVERLOAD, SHUT-DOWN ALL NON-ESSENTIAL SYSTEMS...>

The metal knight twitches and there are a series of clanks and clangs come from inside his torso. Finally, panels fly open and black, oily smoke billows out in all directions and he slumps into the corner. There is blessed silence in the Hanged Man for a time.

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
Standing awkwardly during the song, Gil silently berates himself for once again being a downer somehow. Not knowing what to say to Mikara in response to the mournful dirge, Gil instead leaves her to recover from the experience.

Awesome [MENTION=79440]H.M.Gimlord[/MENTION], and great comic timing [MENTION=60965]Iron Sky[/MENTION]

"THESE charts? I have no idea. I don't think those are real stars he named...

Are you interested in astronomy? I can teach you the basics, but it will take some time. With so many influences to track on subject's life, the calculations get very complex very quickly."

Yes YES! I'd love to learn astronomy! You mean the stars actually have influence on us?! What a theory! Do they just affect us naturally, or is there an intent behind their machinations? Oh the possibilities, show me where to start please. The enthusiasm that bubbles up seems to be a mix of finding something to distract from the song, and an actual earnest love of learning.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Mikara refuses to acknowledge the mechanical mockery of her song. If she had the strength, she would shake her head, or better yet, put an arrow through the hulking mech, but it just isn't worth it.

She doesn't sleep, she just remains, eyes closed, head on folded hands, by the warlord's mug until the feeling abates.

OOC: [MENTION=53947]Iron[/MENTION]Sky: Likewise. That was cool. Mikara's not too impressed, but I am :D.

Remove ads