• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Everything D&D Ever - Temple of the Frog

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Tiefling is fine. Elves would have a hard time getting into the city at the moment, given the current state of relations between Blackmoor and the elven nations.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Sweet!

Also: would it be too late to switch to Warlock? And maybe make Ulric a girl (not a woman, but specifically a young lady).

Warlock rules: As Ulric has a familiar, and Warlocks wouldn't get that until later, could I take FF as one of my Warlock spells known? And would that mean that I can't take Pact of the Tome or Pact of the Blade later, or would I have to take Pact of the Chain? Technically Chain is there so Warlocks can have powerful familiar attacks, which Odum (see below) wouldn't have. I leave it to you, obviously as the GM; and I hope it doesn't put out any of the players who would have gone Wizard (which I also don't mind; I'm just fiddling with revisions, and looking up tiefling art on Pinterest)

Familiar: either way, I have hashed together a variant familiar: flying monkey, with a fly speed of 10ft (and it's not pretty, with the wheezing and the complaining), and the ability to talk (but, keep in mind, he's kind of an idiot; this may not be a benefit). I used Baboon as the base, lowered the size, knocked off some strength, raised the Int a little bit, knocked off Pack Tactics (he's an artist, he can't be limited by other people's expectations), and gave him that minor flight instead. Statistically I'm pretty sure he's weaker than an owl, having no attack-related benefits.

Odum (flying monkey familiar)
Tiny beast, unaligned
Armor Class 12
Hit Points 3 (1d6)Speed 20 ft., climb 30 ft., Fly 10ft.
S: 6 (-2)
D: 14 (+2)
Con: 11
Int: 6 (-2)
Wis: 12 (+1)
Cha: 6 (-2)
Senses: Passive Perception 11
Languages: (common, infernal, monkey)
Challenge 0 (10xp)
Bite: melee weapon attack: +0 to hit, reach -, one target. Hit: 1 (1d4-2) piercing damage

I'll add him to the RG, and work on that history for you, as well as a second version of Ulric with Warlock stats.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Here is what I would rather do in regards to the familiar.

Up until you make the Pact of the Chain, it is basically an ally, associate, etc...an independent being that happens to hang around your character. You don't get the familiar benefits until you gain the appropriate level, however.

sithramir

First Post
LOL I would have probably played wizard as that's my typical class instead of bard and herobizkit probably would be bard. Oh well I think we'll do OK since we have a sorcerer.

You could do a level of wizard and then go warlock as another option

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
By RAW, the only way for a warlock to have a familiar at all is to have Pact of the Chain.

Is this true? I'm away from my book right now, but I thought Tome warlocks could also get rituals, and that Find Familiar was a ritual. I think if you want a special one, though (imp or whatever) you need to be Pact of the Chain.

Brother Dave

First Post
Is this true? I'm away from my book right now, but I thought Tome warlocks could also get rituals, and that Find Familiar was a ritual. I think if you want a special one, though (imp or whatever) you need to be Pact of the Chain.
Pact of the Tome just gives you cantrips, not 1st level spells or rituals. Either way, you don't get that pact boon until 3rd level.

If you make your pact with a Great Old One, Awakened Mind gives you limited telepathy. If your flying monkey is more intelligent than usual (intelligent enough to understand you), maybe you've befriended him that way?

fireinthedust

Explorer
Hmm... (flips through pages)
Ancient Secrets is a boon which I could only start at 3rd level, as that's the same time I'd get Pact of the Tome, which is the same time I'd get a familiar with Chain. At 3rd level pick up Tome, and retrain one invocation to be Ancient Secrets. (good catch, didn't think of that)

Class-wise, I'm not in love with the Warlock *but* I like the flavour. That said, I don't actually see any hard crunch benefits beyond wizard, other than one or two powers scattered between the various boons, and the recharge at every short rest of my spell slots (which are only one or two spells); unless the focus was the Invocations, which have some great options. The bonus spells from Pacts are to the list I can choose from, NOT to my spells known.

Okay, I'll stay Wizard, but adjust the ability scores for the second build. Odum can stay a standard familiar from her Wizard spells, which would be her focus anyway.

Thanks for the advice, all!

Remove ads