• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Example races built using the race design system

Coronoides

First Post
This thread is intended for sharing races built using the race design system discussed in my other thread “Race creation system reverse engineered and 38 example races in short form”. You can post new races here and ask for help on specific questions for designing your race. If your comment or question relates to the system in general please use the other thread:

The race design system can be found here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...-38-example-races-in-short-form#ixzz3p9mdCC3W

Entering your race
Please include the point costs and evidence levels for your race’s traits and the safety star rating of the race overall. This will enable others to learn from your example or help them help you if you have a question. The Safety Star rating does not indicate balance; all races hopefully will be balanced. The Safety Star rating tells others how certain we are of the evidence used and how experimental the race is.

You can do this in two ways.
Firstly, you can use the standard short form format from my article.
Secondly, you can enter your race with as much or as little fluff as you like then cut and paste the points and evidence from the excel sheet in below that.
Here is an example of each method.

[h=3]Orc[/h]** ½ Medium humanoid (orc). Speed 30ft. LA0, JL1. Languages: Common, Orc.
Str +2{3-20}, Dex+0{3-20}, Con +2 {3-20}, Int-4{2-14} Wis +0{3-20} , Cha+0{3-20} (P 0).
Traits: Menacing: proficient in Intimidation skill (P 2), proficient in great axe, javelin (X 1.25). Aggressive (I 5.5), Relentless Endurance (F 2), Savage Attacks (F 2). Total 12.25
Lesser traits: Darkvision 60ft.
Notes: combines influences from the MM, DMG282, and the half-orc PC race.

[h=3]Half-Elf Variant[/h]
All the varied ways
Half elves can arise from human liasons with wandering high elf bards, rangers who come to love the woodelves they fight alongside, and evil warlocks cementing an alliance with drow queens. This variant allows the character’s traits to reflect her heritage.
Charisma is raised by +1
Speed 30ft
Choose one subrace of elf. You gain all of the traits of that subrace including the ability score modifier and lesser traits. Note that you do not get the core Elf traits and modifiers, only those listed under your chosen elf subrace (PHB23-24 or aquatic elf above).
Traits: You gain two skills of your choice. Darkvision 60ft, Fey Ancestry (PHB23), plus those granted by your elf sub-race. Languages: Common, Elven, and any one other language.
[sblock=Behind the curtain]

Half-Elf variant**** 1/2 corrected
Two skillsP4
Cha+1P2
Traits & lesser traits from one elf subraceC6
Lesser Traits
Fey AncestryX0
Darkvision 60ftX0
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
Good to see such a thread up. Here is my Fey'ri as an Elf subrace for 5e. It uses level adjustment and is not meant for use with the Variant Half-Elf made by Coronoides, as it gives a bonus to Charisma also. (Also, shouldn't the variant be a ****1/2 or lower rating, not a ***** rating?)

FEY'RI (ELF SUBRACE) **
Elf Base (6pt)
Languages. Add Abyssal to languages known (X 0pt)
Ability score Increase. +2 Cha (P 4pt) (In the original, their favoured class was sorcerer, so I made their ASI reflect this)
Wings. Featherfall @ will (I 2pt). At 6th, fly speed (I 2pt) of 40 feet (X 1pt)
Alter Self. You can cast Alter Self at will starting at 5th level. The duration for the spell is indefinite. (I feel that the indefinite duration is a fair reason for a increase in level, so this is a 3rd level combat spell (you may create natural weapons) at 5th level (X 4pt) with a uses multiplier of at will (x2)) (X 8pt)
Demonic Abilities. Pick four of the following: (highest cost 3.5, four options (x4)) (14pt)
- Cast charm person once per long rest (1st level non combat at level wizard gets (1st) - F 0pt)
- Cast clairvoyance once per long rest (3rd level non combat at 2 levels before wizard gets (3rd) - X 2pt)
- Cast darkness once per long rest (2nd level combat at gets 5th - X 3.5pt)
- Cast detect thoughts once per long rest (2nd level non combat at level wizard gets (3rd) - F 0pt)
- Resistance to fire damage (damage resistance vs one type - X 0pt)
- Cast suggestion once per long rest (2nd level non combat at level wizard gets (3rd) - F 0pt)
- Advantage on saves against lightning damage (advantage on saves vs specific source or damage type - F 0pt)
- Advantage on saves against poison damage (advantage on saves vs specific source or damage type - F 0pt)
Hit Dice. You have 2d8 racial hit dice (2x (I 4.5pt)) (I 9pt)
TOTAL = 44pt - LA 3, JL 5

That is for the weaker of the two. The stronger has the following two options available, but can only pick one of those, leaving it with three of the ones above. Its Demonic Abilities and Hit Dice are modified to accommodate. The following replaces the Demonic Abilities and Hit Dice from above.
Demonic Abilities. Pick three of the following: (highest cost 3.5, three options (x3)) (10.5pt)
- Cast charm person once per long rest (1st level non combat at level wizard gets (1st) - F 0pt)
- Cast clairvoyance once per long rest (3rd level non combat at 2 levels before wizard gets (3rd) - X 2pt)
- Cast darkness once per long rest (2nd level combat at gets 5th - X 3.5pt)
- Cast detect thoughts once per long rest (2nd level non combat at level wizard gets (3rd) - F 0pt)
- Resistance to fire damage (damage resistance vs one type - X 0pt)
- Cast suggestion once per long rest (2nd level non combat at level wizard gets (3rd) - F 0pt)
- Advantage on saves against lightning damage (advantage on saves vs specific source or damage type - F 0pt)
- Advantage on saves against poison damage (advantage on saves vs specific source or damage type - F 0pt)
Greater Demonic Abilities. Pick one of the following: (highest cost 22.5) (22.5pt)
- Cast dimension door at will (4th level non combat at 2 levels before wizard gets (5th) - I 0pt at will = x2 =0pt)
- Resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage (damage resistance vs 3 types special - 22.5 (see points evaluation below))
Hit Dice. You have 5d8 racial hit dice (5x (I 4.5pt)) (I 22.5pt)
TOTAL = 76.5pt - LA 6, JL 7
[sblock="Resistance Calculations"]LA1, total levels 1 extra HP this level=5x2-5=5
LA2, total levels 2 extra HP this level=5x2-5=5
LA3, total levels 3 extra HP this level=5x2-5=5
LA4, total levels 4 extra HP this level=5x2-5=5
LA5, total levels 5 extra HP this level=0 no HD
LA6, total levels 6 extra HP this level=0 no HD
Class level 1 total levels 7 extra HP this level=8x1.5-8=4
Class level 2 total levels 8 extra HP this level=5x1.5-5=2.5
Class level 3 total levels 9 extra HP this level=5x1.5-5=2.5
Class level 4 total levels 10 extra HP this level=5x1.5-5=2.5
Class level 5 total levels 11 extra HP this level=5x1.25-5=1.25
Class level 6 total levels 12 extra HP this level=5x1.25-5=1.25
Class level 7 total levels 13 extra HP this level=5x1.25-5=1.25
Class level 8 total levels 14 extra HP this level=5x1.25-5=1.25
Class level 9 total levels 15 extra HP this level=5x1.25-5=1.25
Class level 10 total levels 16 extra HP this level=5x1.25-5=1.25
Class level 11 total levels 17 extra HP this level=5x1-5=0
Class level 12 total levels 18 extra HP this level=5x1-5=0
Class level 13 total levels 19 extra HP this level=5x1-5=0
Class level 14 total levels 20 extra HP this level=5x1-5=0
TOTAL = 5+5+5+5+0+0+5+2.5+2.5+2.5+1.25+1.25+1.25+1.25+1.25+1.25+0+0+0+0 = 40
2d20 can get this, so 11.25*2 = 22.5
[/sblock]EDIT: Here's some more stuff I posted on the WotC community forums:
Here's some feats I made. The first three are based on the 3.X Dragonborn of Bahamut race, while the fourth is based on a template from an older version of D&D (3.X?), specifically the arachnoid template from City of the Spider Queen.

DRAGONBORN OF BAHAMUT (HEART) **** 1/2
Prerequisite: Lawful Good, Not Dragonborn
You have undergone a magical ritual to allow you a close bond with metallic dragons as long as you serve Bahamut. You gain a Breath Weapon. You can use your action to exhale destructive energy. The exhalation has the following statistics: 5 by 30 foot line or 15 foot cone of fire, lightning, acid or cold (choose any one combination when you select this feat). When you use your breath weapon, each creature in the area of the exhalation must make a Dexterity or Constitution saving throw (Dexterity if you chose line, Constitution if you chose cone). The DC for this saving throw equals 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus. A creature takes 2d6 damage on a failed save, and half as much on a successful one. The damage increases to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th level, and 5d6 at 16th level. After you use your breath weapon, you can’t use it again until you complete a short or long rest. Once you take this feat, you cannot take either of the other Dragonborn of Bahamut feats.
[sblock="Points"]Dragonborn breath weapon - P 6pt
TOTAL = 6pt
[/sblock]
DRAGONBORN OF BAHAMUT (MIND) **
You have undergone a magical ritual to allow you a close bond with metallic dragons as long as you serve Bahamut. You gain a +1 to your Wisdom score, immunity to paralysis, advantage vs being charmed, magic cannot put you to sleep, 60 feet of Darkvision, and advantage on perception and investigation checks for secret doors. You also gain Blindsight after you reach 3rd level. Once you take this feat, you cannot take either of the other Dragonborn of Bahamut feats.
[sblock="Points"]+1 Wisdom - P 2pt
Condition Immunity (Paralysis) - I 0pt
What amounts to Fey Ancestory - X 0pt
Darkvision 60ft - X 0pt
Adv perception & investigation secret doors - F 2pt
Blindsight at 3rd - I 2pt
TOTAL = 6pt
[/sblock]
DRAGONBORN OF BAHAMUT (WINGS) **
You have undergone a magical ritual to allow you a close bond with metallic dragons as long as you serve Bahamut. You have a pair of wings, and can use them as if you had feather-fall at will. Once you have progressed past 6th level, you can use them to fly at a speed of 30 feet. If you are flying and dive 30 feet straight towards a target and hit it with a melee weapon attack, the attack does extra damage to the target equal to the standard damage of the weapon (if the weapon deals 1d4 damage, the dive attack causes you to deal 2d4 + the modifier you use with that weapon. If you score a critical hit, the damage from the dive attack is not doubled. In other words, scoring a critical hit with a Greatsword while diving deals 6d6 damage, not 8d6, as the dive damage is calculated after the critical damage, not before). Once you take this feat, you cannot take either of the other Dragonborn of Bahamut feats.
[sblock="Points"]Wings equivalent to featherfall at 1st - I 2pt
Fly speed 30 at 6th level - I 2pt
Dive at 6th (with flight) - I 1.16pt (The most extra damage this can do is 2d6 from a Greatsword or Maul, and that is 3.5pt. Dive is the price of the extra damage divided by 1/3)
TOTAL = 5.16pt
Note: I removed a feature that previously existed on this race, because it didn't make sense, and, having reviewed the 3.5 race, added a Dive feature. While this doesn't bring the points to 6, it is now able to be taken at 1st level if you start as a Variant Human.
[/sblock]
SPIDER QUEEN’S IMAGE **
Prerequisite: Neutral Evil (DM’s discretion, can be ignored)
In their foul veneration of the Spider Queen, the drow have mastered creating many new creatures that manifest spiderlike features, called arachnoid creatures. Occasionally an intelligent humanoid is chosen for this roll. Sprouting thick black hair growing in rough clumps, large multifaceted eyes, and mandibles dripping with poison, such creatures are horrible abominations that range from loyal servants of the drow to deadly renegades on the outskirts of drow civilisation, and humanoid arachnoids are often mistaken for were-spiders in hybrid form. As such a creature you gain the following benefits:
You gain +1 to your Dexterity score, but take a -1 penalty to your Intelligence score. You gain a climb speed of 20 feet, your natural armour becomes 11 + your Dexterity score (if it isn’t higher), you become immune to being charmed, and you get a bite weapon with which you are proficient, which deals 1d6 piercing damage. If you successfully bite a creature, you can force them to make a Constitution saving throw. If they fail, they take 1d4 poison damage. If you force a creature to make this saving throw, then you cannot force them to make this saving throw again until it is recharged (recharge 5-6).
[sblock="Points"]+1 Ability Score - P 2pt
-1 Ability Score - P -2pt
Climb speed 20ft - I 2pt
Natural armour 11+Dex - I 2pt
Condition Immunity (Charm) - I 0pt
Natural weapon (Bite) 1d6 - F 1.5pt
Weapon prof (bite) - X 0.25pt
Bite Poison (Damaging power, detailed below) - 0.25pt
TOTAL - 6pt
Note: While Coronoides' system says no negative points in feats, I felt that the decrease to Intelligence was appropriate, and also allowed this feat to fully achieve its full potential

Bite Poison pricing
2.5 damage (I assumed it got used twice in three rounds, seems fair for recharge 5-6) - DPR 1.67 - Level (Earliest is) 1 - 0.29pt
Area multiplier - 1
Range 5ft - Multiplier 1
Uses - Recharge 5-6 - Multiplier 1.25
TOTAL 0.3625 -ROUNDED 0.25
[/sblock]
MARILITH * (I definitely wouldn't pay this. This was done for someone else)
Size. You are large creature, and replace your first extra attack with a d10HD, which you gain in addition to the HD you would normally gain at that level.
Speed. Your speed is 40 feet.
Demonic Armour. When you are not wearing armour, your AC equals 13 + your Dexterity modifier.
Marilith Weaponry. You are proficient in Large Longswords, and your Tail, which deals 2d10 bludgeoning damage, has a range of 10 feet, and grapples any Medium or smaller creature that you hit with it (If you grapple a creature in this way, you cannot use this weapon until the grapple is ended)
Demonic Defenses. You are immune to the poisoned condition, poison damage, and resistant to cold, fire, lightning; budgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons.
Magic Resistance. As Monster Manual.
Parry. As Monster Manual.
Reactive. As Monster Manual.
Teleport. As Monster Manual.
LEVEL ADJUSTMENT. You have a level adjustment of 9 levels and a joining level of 10th level, meaning that you must join the party at 10th level at earliest, with 1 class level, and are considered a 10th level character. Additionally, you have 6d10 racial hit dice.
[sblock="Points"]Speed 40 - X 1pt
Large at 5th lvl first extra attack replaced by d10HD - I 6pt
Natural armour 13+DEX - I 6pt
Weapon Prof Martial Melee (longsword) - X 0.75pt
Natural weapon (tail) inflicts 2d10 at 8th level + proficiency + grapple + reach 10 ft - I 9.5pt
Condition immunity (poisoned) - I 0pt
Damage immunity (poison) - ! 0.5pt
Magic resistance at 4th level - I 9pt
Parry at first level - I 2pt
Reactive - ! 16pt
Teleport at 3rd level - I 2pt
HD1d10 (or 6hp)+Con x6 - I 33pt
Damage Resistance vs 3 or more specific sources (cold, fire, lightning; budgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons) (Effective HP 41.5 (2d20 can get)) I 22.5pt
TOTAL: 108.5 - LA 9, JL 10
Note: To ease up the high LA, you can remove Damage resistance and Magic resistance to lower it to LA 6, JL 8 (JL 8 because we want that tail at full power)
[/sblock]
DRIDER **
As Drow Elf Race (and subrace) plus:
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2.
Size. You are a large centauroid.
Spidery Armour. Your natural armour equals 16 + your Dexterity modifier.
Bite. You can bite your foes, which is a melee weapon attack that deals 1d4 piercing damage and 1d8 poison damage. At 5th level, the poison damage increases to 2d8.
Spiderclimb. You can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check, and have a climb speed of 30 feet.
Web Walker. You ignore movement restrictions caused by webbing.
LEVEL ADJUSTMENT. You have a level adjustment of 3 levels and a joining level of 4th level, meaning that you must join the party at 4th level at earliest, with 1 class level, and are considered a 4th level character. Additionally, you have 2d10 racial hit dice.
[sblock="Points"]Elf Base (6pt)
Drow Base (6pt)
+2 Con (P 4pt)
Climb speed 30 (I 2pt)
Centauroid (large) (I Special 0pt)
Natural Armour 16+DEX (I 12pt)
Drider Bite (Damaging power, calculations below) (1.75pt) 1d4 piercing, 1d8 poison, +1d8 poison at lvl 5
Spiderclimb (I 2pt)
HD1d10 (or 6hp)+Con x2 (I 11pt)
TOTAL: 44.75 - LA 3, JL 4
Note: To lower the LA to 2, reduce the Elf Dexterity bonus to +1, the Drider Constitution bonus to +1, and the Natural Armour to 13+Dex, for a total of 34.75

Drider Bite Pricing:
11.5 damage - DPR 11.5 - Level 5 - 0.82pt
Area multiplier - 1
Range 5ft - Multiplier 1
Uses - at will - Multiplier 2
TOTAL 1.64 -ROUNDED 1.75
[/sblock]
VAMPIRE (LITE) **
This was made for Ginjiro on the WotC forums. He needed it for a character he intended to make, but he had the race at about 2.5pt, so I helped him by revamping it, and here is that version.
Ability Score Increase. Your strength and dexterity scores both increase by 1.
Age. Vampires are undying creatures, so they don’t age.
Alignment. Vampires are almost always Lawful Evil, though very rarely, those of neutral or, even more rarely, good vampires exist.
Size. Vampires are the same size as they were before they became Vampires (most are humans).
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Languages. You can read, write, and speak Common and other languages you knew in life.
Spiderclimb. You can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.
Darkvision. Thanks to your undead nature, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern colour in darkness, only shades of grey.
Undead Magic. You know the Charm Person spell, and can cast it once per log rest using Charisma as your spellcasting ability.
Children of the Night. At 5th level. As the MM Vampire.
Unending Vigour. When your health is below half your maximum HP (Rounded down) you can heal yourself for 1d4 + your Constitution modifier as a bonus action. The amount of dice this heals you for increases to 3d4 at 6th level, 5d4 at 11th level and 7d4 at 16th level. After using this ability, you must take a long rest to use it again.
Shapechanger. As an action, you can change your form into that of a bat-like creature. While in this form, your walk speed is 5ft and you gain wings equivalent to featherfall, at 6th level you master your transformation giving you a flying speed of 30ft while in bat-form. Additionally, once you reach 5th level, you can turn into a Cloud of Mist, making you amorphous.
Vampire Bite. As an action, you can bite a creature within 5 feet of you, dealing 1d6 necrotic damage. The creature must make a Dexterity saving throw against your Dexterity saving throw to prevent this.
[sblock="Points"]+2 Ability Score - P 4pt
Spiderclimb -I 2pt
Sunlight Sensitivity - F -7.5pt
Darkvision 60ft - X 0pt
Non-combat spell of up to 3rd spell level when a wizard gets it (Charm Person) - F 0pt
Children of the Night (Analysis below) - 4pt
Unending Vigour (made on WotC, pricing explained below) - 2.5pt
Shapechanger at 1st - I 2pt
Wings equivalent to featherfall at 1st - I 2pt
Fly speed at 6th level. add speed if over 30 (speed 30) - I 2pt
Amorphous at 5th - I 0pt
Vampire Bite (Damaging power, detailed below) - 1pt
TOTAL - 12pt
[sblock="Children of the Night"]For Children of the Night, it is very similar to Conjure Animal, so I will price the trait as if it were a spell, because it it a spell-like ability. Conjure Animals is a 3rd level spell, but you can summon up to 18 wolves, which are CR1/4. To summon 16 of them, the spell has to be 5th level (This is close enough, as there will be reductions) since there is a limitation on the Wolves (only outdoors) i would argue that most times (depends on the campaign) you will be underground/in a building (going through a dungeon in either case), so you can assume that the wolf option will not be available always (part of the reason I didnt account for the lat two wolves); therefore, a level reduction should be fine the fact that you aren't nessesserily going to get all 8 swarms, i would say another level reduction is in order, bringing it back to 3rd level. I would say that this spell is definitley combat orientated, so the earliest you can get Children of the Night, by my analysis is 5th level, for 4pt.[/sblock][sblock="Unending Vigour"]Note: This is an exert from the conversation had on WotC forums, of the last post of pricing the trait. It was made by me. The user I was discussing this with had asked why I was using Healing Word, and had made two potential progressions of healing (one using d6s and another (the one analysed) used d4s)
The reason I am pricing Healing Word is because it is very similar to the effect we are trying to achieve. I am not saying to give them the spell, I am saying to give them an effect that is very similar to the spell that uses the spell as its base.

I am unsure about 1d6, might think about that one later, but here is the d4 analysis (still using healing word)
1d4 at 1st is still 4pt, that doesn't change
3d4 at 6th is 3rd level spell one level later - 3.75pt (this is a guess, average of when wizards get it and 2 levels after wizard gets it)
5d4 at 11th level is 5th level spell 2 levels later - 3.5pt
7d4 at 16th level is 7th level spell 3 levels later - 2.5pt
Your d4 progression is 2.5 points because progressive traits only pay for final price (that is Xd4+Con). Assuming you just decided on numbers that felt right, that what good luck, no need to tinker with that idea if you use it.[/sblock]Vampire Bite pricing
3.5 damage - DPR 3.5 - Level 1 - 0.5pt
Area multiplier - 1
Range 5ft - Multiplier 1
Uses - At will - Multiplier 2
TOTAL 1 -ROUNDED 1
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Coronoides

First Post
Yeh I wanted to use spoilers for my half elf variant example but could figure out how here
does not work.

The Green Isles
This is my home setting in progress which draws inspiration from the fairy tales of the British Isles. I'll be posting new draft material from this work in progress.

[h=3]Bears[/h]The most commonly encountered talking animals are bears. Garrulous and prone to violence bears are not good company but are capable allies in a fight. Most adventuring bears are barbarians. Common folk react to bears with fear, much like how people react to half-orcs in other D&D worlds.
Tool Use 2 Beast. WIS +1 {3-20} CHA-2 {2-14}. Languages: Common and Sylvan.
Traits: Natural armour AC11+DEX, Speed 40ft, Climb speed 30ft, Perception skill, Natural weapons proficiency, Keen smell, Able to communicate with bears.
Subrace: choose one subrace from the two given below.
[h=4]Black Bear[/h]** ½ Medium
STR +2 {3-20}, DEX +0 {3-20}, CON +1 {3-20} INT +0 {3-20}
Traits: Bite 1d6 piercing and claws 2d4 slashing.
Variant: Juvenile Brown Bear. You can use this race to represent a younger brown bear. When a level is granted just prior to a month or more of downtime you can, instead of gaining a level, upgrade your racial traits to that of the Brown Bear below.
Wieght males 125-550 Lbs (average 250) females 90-375 Lb (average 100). Head to tail 47-79 inches, taller when they stand on two legs.
Notes: this smaller species of bear has no historical equivalent in Britain. Their existence on the Green Isles facilitates the use of bears as PCs.
[h=4]Brown Bear[/h]** ½ Large. LA1 JL2. A brown bear joins a second level party with one class level.
STR +4 {3-20}, DEX +0 {3-20}, CON +3 {3-20} INT +0 {3-20}.
Traits: 1d10 racial HD including 1d10 (or 6) HP. Intimidation skill. Bite 1d6 piercing and claws 2d4 slashing. Unarmed strike does 1d2 bludgeoning. Bear Hug: You can use an action to try to pin a creature you have already grappled. To do so, make another grapple check. If you succeed, you and the creature are both restrained until the grapple ends.
[sblock=Behind the curtain]
Bear shared

AC11I2
Speed 40X1
climb 30I2
WIS+1P2
CHA-2P-4
Perception skillP2
Keen smellX2
Speak with bears

Natural Weapons profX0.25

Awakened Black Bear (medium beast) **1/2

Medium tool use 2I-3.25
STR+2P4
Con+1P2
Bite rreach 5 1d6P, claws reach 5 2d4 SF2.5

Awakened Brown Bear LA1 JL2 **1/2

Large Tool Use 2I-4.25
Bear Hug' A grappled foe is pinned PHB167F3
Intimidation skillP2
1d10HDI5.5
STR+4P8
CON+3P6
Bite reach 5 1d8,Clawsreach 5 2d6, unarmed 1d2I3.5

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
Yeah, I looked at every option in the editor, and there is just no such thing, so Wall of Text is second post on this thread, as I didn't want to double/triple/so-on-and-so-forth post. Oh well. Perhaps it is something that needs to be mentioned to an admin?

Coronoides

First Post
For those who think the dragon born are just not dragon enough...
Notes: This new kind of dragon is a race playable from 1st level with the iconic size, scales, wings, bite, and breath weapon expected for dragons. Drakon is ancient Greek for dragon. The drakon pre-sented here resembles eariler tales of the Middle Ages before the power bloat of modern dragons. Remember that, although STR is not adjusted, as a Large creature you can still carry more.

Dragons
While the dragons of the Green Isles are usually hostile solitary monsters there are a few tales of dragons that protect lands and people they see as belonging to them and of good human victims transformed into dragons by dark magic. There is some scope for PC dragons within the source material. Dragons are powerful creatures and most are LA races. Two however have been designed for use as PCs from first level, the Drakon and the Wrym.
Dragon Traits
The dragons of the Green Isles most often have fiery or poison breath or sting in their tail. In game terms native Drakons and Wrums have the breath of one of the following draconic ancestries (PHB34): black, brass, copper, gold, green, or red. Alternately, instead of a breath weapon you might have a sting in your tail.
Sting: unlike other dragon’s you don't have a breath weapon. Instead you can make a tail attack at will. The tail has a reach of 10ft (1pt). Your attack bonus is your proficiency bonus plus STR. On a hit you do 3d4 poison damage (no save) and +STR piercing damage (min zero). At 7th level your sting's poison damage is raised to 4d4 (5pt). Your damage resistance is to poison damage.

Wurms
Wurms are the most common form of dragon in the Green Isles but don’t match the shape foreigners expect, a wurm is a legless serpent with a dragon head. Wurms prefer to lair in still water, including pools, lakes, and especially magical wells.
Wurm Traits * ½
Large Tool Use 1 Dragon. Speed 30 and a swim speed of 30.
Natural weapons bite 1d10+STR piercing damage reach 10, tail slap 1d6+STR bludgeoning reach 15, constrict 2d6+STR reach 5 and has the constrict trait (MM320). You are proficient in these attacks. The constrict DC=8+proficiency bonus+STR.
Breath weapon as per dragonborn including the matching the resitance.
Dragon senses: Darkvision 60ft and at 5th level blindsight 30ft.
Scales: natural AC 11+DEX.
Amphibious: a wurm can breath both water and air.
Serpent: immune to prone condition.

Drakons
Drakons are what most foreigners imagine when you say ‘dragon’, four legs, bat-wings, long neck and tail.
*½ Large dragon. Tool Use 2. They range from horse-sized to as big as a rhinoceros.
Speed 30ft.
Languages: Draconic, Common.
Core Traits: Breath Weapon: choose one as described for Dragonborn. Bite reach 10ft & Claw reach 5ft: 2d6 piercing 2d4 slashing respectively, unarmed strike 1d2 bludgeoning, but no extra at-tacks. Natural Weapons. At 4th levels natural AC becomes 11+DEX.
Core Lesser Traits: Draconic resistance: damage resistance to match breath weapon as per dragonborn. Darkvision 60ft. At 5th level gains Blindsight 30ft.
Choose one subrace.
Robust Subrace Traits: No ability score adjustments. Poor Flyer: at 1st level wings act as per the feather fall spell except self only and at will. At 6th level gains a flying speed of 40ft and can fly in any armour.
Gracile Subrace Traits: -1 Con, -1 Int. At 1st level Fly speed 50ft but unable to fly while wearing medium or heavy armour.

After feedback I have added two subraces. A robust subrace with no ability score modifiers but delayed flight and a light boned and flighty gracile subrace that can fly at 1st level.

Coronoides

First Post
Asrai
Though listed here with the other elves Asrai are an Uncommon race. While uncommonly encountered the land dwellers know that the Asrai are fragile cowardly people worthy only of pity and curiosity.
Asrai are xenophobic stone-age elves native to cold northern seas. They are fully adapted to the frigid waters wearing tangles of seaweeds if that. The skin of an Asrai is icy cold to the touch. Most carry no possessions nor tools; any they do have are made of shells and stone or salvaged from shipwrecks. They are fragile gilled people and few ever learn the magical knack for breathing on land as their ancestors did before forsaking the land during the Mythic Age. PC Asrai can breathe air at 3rd level and generally should not join the party until that level.
* ½ Medium Humanoid (Elf) LA0, JL3
Elf traits (PHB23).
Subrace traits: Wis+1, Gills (you suffocate in air at 1st and 2nd level), PC Asrai are Amphibious at 3rd level but few NPC Asrai develop this ability at any level. Land speed 20ft, swim speed 35ft. Able to communicate with sea dwelling beasts. Proficient in Survival skill. Damage resistance Cold.
Mask of the Sea: you can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by seaweeds, silt, and other natural underwater phenomena (as per Mask of the wild PHB24),. Cold Touch: when attacking with your unarmed strike (1 bludgeoning) if successful you may add 2d4 cold damage at 1st level. This is raised to 3d4 at 4th level and again to 4d4 at 8th level.

[sblock]
Asrai, Elf Subrace
Elf core C 6
Wis+1 P 2
Land speed 20 ! -7
Swim speed 35 F 0.5
Masks of the sea F 1.5
Speak with sea beasts I 1
survival skill P 2
Damage resistance cold ! 0.5
nat. weapons prof for cold touch X 0.25
Cold touch adds to unarmed 4d4COLD+1B progressive I 5.5
Lesser Traits
Languages: elvish, sylvan common
speed 35
Amphibious at 3rd

Switches
Gills
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
Elves get a +2 Dex at base, so these Asrai overall get a +3 to Dex. You should probably change it's bonus to Wis Cha, Str or Con (There already being 2 subraces that get Int)

EDIT: I have added a dive feature to the Dragonborn of Bahamut (Wings) feat.

Last edited:

Remove ads