• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Example races built using the race design system

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
The option of a dexterity boost and the acrobatics proficiency sounds best, replacing the spell resistance, (I don't know muck about prior edition races in MMs*, but the 5e MM doesn't give the Gith spell resistance, so I'd remove it).

At the risk of being incredibly confusing, for the stat increase, perhaps "+2 to Int, Wis, or Dex, +1 to one of the others" (so you can pick +2 Int, +1 Wis; +2 Int, +1 Dex; +2 Wis, +1 Int; +2 Wis, +1 Dex; +2 Dex, +1 Int; or +2 Dex, +1 Wis)

*My experience with prior editions is looking at Wikipedia/FR wiki/Ebberon Wiki and seeing something that looks cool, finding the sourcebook name, and looking at it to adapt it to 5e.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Here i one for today. This one really steps on the foot of the Elf and the Halfling a lot (probably too much), but this more or less seems to be what they should have. They would make really good Rogues and both Perception and the Lucky ability are pretty nice regardless of your class. I am noticing that a lot of the costs in this document are wonky-- some things are free that feel like they shouldn't be while other things have crazy overblown costs. I have a feeling that this is due to trying to force the existing races to be numerically balanced rather than considering the real value of each advantage.

Rakasta (Catfolk)
Attribute Adjustments: +2 Dexterity, +1 Constitution (3 points)
Size: Medium
Speed: 35 (0.5 points)
Dark Vision 60'
Proficient in Perception (2 points)
Proficient with Unarmed Attacks, unarmed attacks deal 1d4 slashing damage (1 points)
Resistant to Falling Damage (0 point)
Mask of the Wild (1.5 points)
Lucky (4 points)
Languages: Common and Rakasta

Last edited:

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
Here i one for today. This one really steps on the foot of the Elf and the Halfling a lot (probably too much), but this more or less seems to be what they should have. They would make really good Rogues and both Perception and the Lucky ability are pretty nice regardless of your class. I am noticing that a lot of the costs in this document are wonky-- some things are free that feel like they shouldn't be while other things have crazy overblown costs. I have a feeling that this is due to trying to force the existing races to be numerically balanced rather than considering the real value of each advantage.

Regarding the costs, Coronoides has explained several times (including in the OP of the other thread and in the PDF) that by his system, all races have to be equal or it doesn't work. He does try to be logical about things where he can (though things like the Hill Dwarf HP are impossible if he doesn't price them how they are).

Rakasta (Catfolk)
Attribute Adjustments: +2 Dexterity, +1 Constitution (3 points)
Size: Medium
Speed: 35 (0.5 points)
Dark Vision 60'
Proficient in Perception (2 points)
Proficient with Unarmed Attacks, unarmed attacks deal 1d4 slashing damage (1 points)
Resistant to Falling Damage (0 point)
Lucky (4 points)
Languages: Common and Rakasta

Attribute Adjustments - This should be 6pt as a +1 to a stat is 2pt
Unarmed Attack (1d4) - You didn't pay for the proficiency, which is an additional 0.25pt
In total, this race is actually 15.25pt. I tinkered with the race in excel, avoiding adding anything, but it is quite difficult. I also tried to not remove lucky (as Halfling), as that seemed to be a major part of your vision for this class. Unfortunately, I cannot suggest much to change.

Last edited:

GreenTengu

Adventurer
I knew I had screwed up somewhere for the list of abilities to be so long. Obviously the right thing to do is to remove Lucky. Otherwise you have to remove almost everything else.

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
Doing that, you should probably increase the Unarmed Attack to 1d6 to get to within Coronoides' safe zone of 11.75 to 12.25. I am the sort of person where everything has to be perfect, so I would throw on a simple melee weapon to get it to 12pt, but you are fine to not have that.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Here is one to chew on for today. I will continue on with this idea of building the subraces in as ability options rather than explicitly writing which abilities each subrace gets. I really consider whether they should get stealth and something else rather than that horridly over-priced Halfling Nimbleness. But then, the Halfling Nimbleness seems like an ability all small, non-clumsy races should just have. I just put in enough 0 point stuff that it ought to feel nice regardless.
Also, I don't want the race to come with 2 skills. That seems like too much. Each race should be limited to 1 I feel.

Goblin
Attribute Adjustments: +2 Dexterity and either +1 Wisdom or +1 Charisma (6 points)
Size: Small (-2 points)
Speed: 30
Dark Vision 60'
+1 Initiative (0.5 points)
Proficient in either Animal Handling or Deception (2 points)
Proficient with either one set of Artisan's Tools or Vehicles (Land) (0 points)
Advantage on Checks vs. Restrained (0 points)
Halfling Nimbleness (4 points)
Languages: Common and Goblin

Last edited:

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
Your goblin is a nice alternative to the Goblin in the DMG. If my players want to play a goblin, I'd give them the choice between yours and the one in the DMG

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Since I did the Goblin, it is only fair to give the other small guys a shot. This one is ridiculously loaded up with abilities, probably has way too much, but the system says this is completely balanced. Maybe some of those 0 point abilities need to be jettisoned.

None of it really runs counter to what is in the DMG because that Kobold is a level 1 with really crappy attribute scores while a PC one would be one blessed with better attribute scores so their natural abilities would begin to shine. It is kind of within their concept that they have something powerful locked inside, but their lack of focus, opportunity, training and confidence keeps them helpless.

Kobold
Attribute Adjustments: +2 Dexterity, +1 Constitution (6 points)
Size: Small (-2 points)
Speed: 30
Dark Vision 60', Sunlight Sensitivity (-7.5)
Unarmored Defense (1 Point)
Proficient with Natural Attacks, Deals 1d2 damage (1.5 points)
Proficient with Investigation (2 points)
Halfling Nimbleness (4 Points)
Naturally Stealthy (0 points)
Pack Tactics (2 points)
Stone Cunning (0 Points)
Proficient in one set of Artisans tools or Poisoner's Kit (0 Points)
Normal Speed Trap Search (4 points)
Advantage on Saves vs. Traps (0 Points)
Can Cast 1 Cantrip from the Sorcerer spell list at level 4 (1 point)
Languages: Common and Draconic

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
That looks like a pretty good alternative for the Kobold, though I would personally remove either the Advantage on saves vs traps or Stone Cunning. Sorry its taken me a while to reply, I've been busy with end of the year stuff at school.

Remove ads