Exclusive Bruce Cordell interview

Bacris

First Post
I just hope that's Expanded Psionics Handbook Bruce talking, and not Psionics Handbook Bruce talking ;)

Otherwise, excellent job in the interview!

Aloïsius

First Post
Q: Will there be a monk in the PHB?
A: "Answer: murky."
My sense motive: Yes
Yes ? I'm not fluent enough in english to guess what that "murky" means. Do you think it means nothing has been decided ? Or that the monk will have a darker flavor (ninja ?) ?

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Aloïsius said:
Yes ? I'm not fluent enough in english to guess what that "murky" means. Do you think it means nothing has been decided ? Or that the monk will have a darker flavor (ninja ?) ?

He probably means "unclear" - murky in english originally refers to clarity of water; therefore murky water is hard to see through. Metaphorically, it means that he can't really say for sure things will look that far ahead, and the answer could decided wither way in the future.

Aloïsius

First Post
Kid Charlemagne said:
He probably means "unclear" - murky in english originally refers to clarity of water; therefore murky water is hard to see through. Metaphorically, it means that he can't really say for sure things will look that far ahead, and the answer could decided wither way in the future.

Thank ! I guess WotC is watching some of the polls here and there to see wich class they must keep in the PHB1, and wich ones will have to wait...
No bards, please... :]

Branduil

Hero
Given that there will only be 8 classes in the first PHB, I certainly hope they don't waste one of them with a class that belongs in an Oriental campaign.

Branduil said:
Given that there will only be 8 classes in the first PHB, I certainly hope they don't waste one of them with a class that belongs in an Oriental campaign.

You can say that again. I hope the sense motive roll was wildly off on that one (though it wouldn't bother me if you could build a monk by applying special abilities to other classes, for those that want to have that option).

I've never felt monks fit D&D, even back when all that was available was 1E. Wrong flavor -- ki powers that were unique to monks just didn't fit anywhere. My monks were all scholarly friars who didn't know jack about quivering palms.

Olgar Shiverstone said:
My monks were all scholarly friars who didn't know jack about quivering palms.

Given that they're supposed to be celibate, I'd think that most such monks were quite familiar with quivering palms, IYKWIMAITYD.

Klaus

First Post
monk_vs_skeleton.jpg

I do very much hope monks are in the PHB. The Asian flavor could be ditched.

For instance:

Attachments

• pankrationist.jpg
    pankrationist.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 231

Samnell

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
Given that they're supposed to be celibate, I'd think that most such monks were quite familiar with quivering palms, IYKWIMAITYD.

Heh.

I recall once an anthropology teacher I had mentioned a presentation he saw that wondered about how celibate monks ended up writing about some of the things they seemed to be writing about for their private use. Then he laughed and suggested that the presenter was very, naive.

KingCrab

First Post
Great job on the interview!

I hope saving throws don't change back to the petrification/polymorph and paralyzation/poison/deathmagic days. I really appreciated the simplicity if the 3.x saving throws.

Remove ads