Extinct: Customer Service- rant

DonTadow

First Post
Ok, today it is official. Now, a few months ago i lost 200 bucks dealing with a vendor who told me my laptop was fixed but only damaged it further. I still had a gleaming hope for customer service but...

Today I decide that I want to play nwn 2. I bought it a few days ago and was only missing a video card that could handle it. My wife was suppose to buy me a video card for xmas, but bought a roomba and then found out I had already bought one. She returned the roomba, but amazon and the post office claims it was loss in transit. She's in her own customer service hades.

As for me, I decide to buy it out my own pocket. I find a great deal and microcenter and pricematch it at my local best buy, only cause its nearby. Normally i buy at newegg but i was impatient and wanted to play today, the price i got was comparible to what I'd get at newegg. I buy the x1950 ati radeon, best midrange in the market rightnow. I take it home, crack it open and after reading the manual and looking at the device, i realize it doesnt have a power connector. After examining the sticker i realize its not even the same card. It's a 1600 pro.

Furious, an hour after i purchase it i go to best buy and tell them. Even though they find a card ,which their geek squad confirmed had never been used, they tell me that they can't take it back or refund it though they are sure it probably came in the wrong package. This is confirmed considering that the 1600 pro at their store is 5 dollars more than the 1950 pricematched price, thus making it stupid for me to try to exchange something else and lose 5 bucks in the process for a new product. Best buy tells me that it is the manufactures fault, despite the fact that i point out that the packaging looks a bit different than the other video cards and has ROTH on it (one of only two video card boxes with that designation on it). So I ask what it means and she tells me she doesnt know *best buy manager. After some arguing and i believe a police call ( a couple police came in and casually brosed shortly after my tirade) they tell me to call the manufacture. Instead of going home i call the manufacture, whom tells me... you guessed it,... its best buys fault. The loops continues as the two dueling managers try to outwith each other with their effort to save their company 200 bucks. At this point I realized, the customer really doesnt matter anymore. WOW! I talk to the manufacture again, two more store managers and i go home sadly with my 1600 pro that i can't even use because it didnt even have a driver disk inside of it (the downloaded drivers crashed my system).

Part of my sadness isnt coming from the fact that who knows when i'll be playing nwn2, but the fact that both of these places didnt give a care in the world if they loss me and my 500 dollar a month electronic habbit. I obviousy will only buy online and microcenter now, but they really didnt care. Even when i talked to corporate at the best buy, they were the most robotic of them all, quoting the policy to call the manufacutre despite the result I told him I had with the manufacture. I would rather they tell me straight up, to screw myself as opposed to give me the end around that eventually leads to the same conclusion. So now I"m stuck without a working video card, out of 212.99 and with the realization that big companys that drive the mom and pops out of business are also turning customers into little more than numbers.

Simplicity

Explorer
You could, at a very different time of day, just take the card back, say it didn't work, and ask for an EXCHANGE. Most places will exchange HW for exactly the same hardware on the assumption that something is wrong with it. The Best Buy will return the hardware causing them no loss.

Asking for cash back is always difficult these days. Asking for a same-for-same exchange... well, if the company was on the up-and-up, it wouldn't be a problem, huh? Though I suppose you would have to worry if they sent it back to the manufacterer and they thought YOU swiped the card for a different one.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
DonTadow said:
Part of my sadness isnt coming from the fact that who knows when i'll be playing nwn2, but the fact that both of these places didnt give a care in the world if they loss me...

Im sure my ancestors said the same thing but...consideration and doing what's right...using rules as guidelines...etc...seems to be disappearing from human nature.

Some folks would not even see anything wrong with the spot you were put in. "What? Our fault? No way, what's he complaining about again?"

Hang in there, everybody is not like that.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I really doubt it was a problem with the manufacturer. I would imagine that assembly line for cards are not in one big common room, so mixups like that can't really happen on their end.

Someone at the store probably pulled a fast one. Either a customer or employee. Best Buy has never really been known for customer service. Back when they were starting up (or expanding, like 16-18 years ago), they used to get into trouble all the time for "bait and switching" and other pretty sleazy tactics.

Anyway, for your sake, I really hope you like NWN2 a lot more than I did, when you finally get to play it...

Xyanthon

First Post
I'm not sure if Best Buy or the manufacturer is at fault, but it would have behooved Best Buy to take care of a customer. I worked for Best Buy for 3 years as the head of the tech bench (about ten years ago before the geek squad). I used to get so infuriated with management because they would pull stunts like you described. I ended up getting a much better job and leaving that miserable place. I refuse to buy from them. Not only did they treat customers poorly, they treated nonmanagement employees very poorly as well. I did have a few friends among the managers who knew how much I despised company policy and I'd tell them that every time I steped through the doors it felt like a little piece of my soul died. That was three years of my life that I'll never get back.

XCorvis

First Post
Xyanthon said:
I'm not sure if Best Buy or the manufacturer is at fault, but it would have behooved Best Buy to take care of a customer...
Don't forget, it was a Best Buy where a man was arrested for trying to pay with $2 bills...
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43685

Anyway, you should escalate the problem with Best Buy. Talk to the manager's manager, and if he won't help, get the regional manager involved. It's such a huge waste of their time that they'll probably just do the refund anyway.

You too Xyanthon? I worked at 402 for 4 years as their tech bench lead. I danced for joy on the day I left.

As for the issue with the card, I would start by talking to the customer service department on the phone, we they read you the lines form their playbook, ask to speak with their manager, get all their names as well, rinse and repeat. Move up the food chain and be as nice as you can be to each of them, when they tell you they simply can't help, ask nicely to be transfered to their supervisor. But be nice.

After you've moved up the food chain far enough they should be able to work something out for you. The big thing here is to be nice, and keep moving up the food chain. When you do finely hit somebody that can make a difference, remeber to still be nice as can be and get everything written down with names and further contact numbers in case there is an issue when you get to the store to do the swap.

Finaly, when all is said and done, new card is in hand, you can vent.

It may not be fun, but its the game you have to play to get things taken care of.

-Ashrum

Banshee16

First Post
DonTadow said:
Ok, today it is official. Now, a few months ago i lost 200 bucks dealing with a vendor who told me my laptop was fixed but only damaged it further. I still had a gleaming hope for customer service but...

Today I decide that I want to play nwn 2. I bought it a few days ago and was only missing a video card that could handle it. My wife was suppose to buy me a video card for xmas, but bought a roomba and then found out I had already bought one. She returned the roomba, but amazon and the post office claims it was loss in transit. She's in her own customer service hades.

As for me, I decide to buy it out my own pocket. I find a great deal and microcenter and pricematch it at my local best buy, only cause its nearby. Normally i buy at newegg but i was impatient and wanted to play today, the price i got was comparible to what I'd get at newegg. I buy the x1950 ati radeon, best midrange in the market rightnow. I take it home, crack it open and after reading the manual and looking at the device, i realize it doesnt have a power connector. After examining the sticker i realize its not even the same card. It's a 1600 pro.

Furious, an hour after i purchase it i go to best buy and tell them. Even though they find a card ,which their geek squad confirmed had never been used, they tell me that they can't take it back or refund it though they are sure it probably came in the wrong package. This is confirmed considering that the 1600 pro at their store is 5 dollars more than the 1950 pricematched price, thus making it stupid for me to try to exchange something else and lose 5 bucks in the process for a new product. Best buy tells me that it is the manufactures fault, despite the fact that i point out that the packaging looks a bit different than the other video cards and has ROTH on it (one of only two video card boxes with that designation on it). So I ask what it means and she tells me she doesnt know *best buy manager. After some arguing and i believe a police call ( a couple police came in and casually brosed shortly after my tirade) they tell me to call the manufacture. Instead of going home i call the manufacture, whom tells me... you guessed it,... its best buys fault. The loops continues as the two dueling managers try to outwith each other with their effort to save their company 200 bucks. At this point I realized, the customer really doesnt matter anymore. WOW! I talk to the manufacture again, two more store managers and i go home sadly with my 1600 pro that i can't even use because it didnt even have a driver disk inside of it (the downloaded drivers crashed my system).

Part of my sadness isnt coming from the fact that who knows when i'll be playing nwn2, but the fact that both of these places didnt give a care in the world if they loss me and my 500 dollar a month electronic habbit. I obviousy will only buy online and microcenter now, but they really didnt care. Even when i talked to corporate at the best buy, they were the most robotic of them all, quoting the policy to call the manufacutre despite the result I told him I had with the manufacture. I would rather they tell me straight up, to screw myself as opposed to give me the end around that eventually leads to the same conclusion. So now I"m stuck without a working video card, out of 212.99 and with the realization that big companys that drive the mom and pops out of business are also turning customers into little more than numbers.

Best Buy is pretty good about customer service, if you stick to your guns, and raise a stink the right way. I had problems with a big screen TV and stereo system I bought from them....as in, the stereo never arrived and went for weeks complaining to the store, and not getting anywhere.

So, I pulled up www.bestbuy.ca, found the number for head office, and sent them a nice, long, well-thought out letter explaining my frustration, and that I expected it to be fixed, or I'd be sending my letter to the local consumer rights advocate at the newspaper. It took about 24 hours for head office to contact me back, put me in contact with the store manager, and get the solution resolved. As a result, I ended up getting a free upgrade from a $1100 mini-system which was supposed to be included when I bought the TV, to $1100 of components, anything of my choice in the store. It ended up being a far, far better system than the mini-system ever would have been.

So I recommend putting your thoughts on paper, and don't waste any more time with the local staff. Write head office, and explain that the newspaper is getting your letter next.

Banshee

Banshee16

First Post
XCorvis said:
Don't forget, it was a Best Buy where a man was arrested for trying to pay with $2 bills...
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43685

Anyway, you should escalate the problem with Best Buy. Talk to the manager's manager, and if he won't help, get the regional manager involved. It's such a huge waste of their time that they'll probably just do the refund anyway.

That story...wow...incredible...reminds me why I'm glad to live north of the border :)

I wonder if that guy ended up suing or something?

Who'd run around forging $2 bills in the first place?

Banshee

Remove ads