Eyes Of The Lich Queen: Ch. 2

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
After listening to the others description of their morning, Ari smirks. "Even a 'lowly' place like this can't escape its intrigues. Makes me wonder how the uppers get anything done," he adds with a wink to Khalia and Rogan. "In any case, lets stick to the original plan... ask the old man about this son. Don't think we need too much of a front their: Khalia is after all a scholar, is interested in Jheamast, and Lord ir'Veldras' son was the last one to have any major interest in him... So, we can play that up, right?"

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
With a decision in place, the group ventures back up the hill to the higher end of the city... where they come upon the stone building with the waterwheel off to the side... said waterwheel turning rapidly from the draining stream that is filling and pushing the buckets on the wheel. The five of you make your way up the front path to the main door, and you pass by a faded sign out front... "Regal Clothiers".

[sblock=Khalia: ]You recognize the name of the place as a brand of nobleman's clothing that was popular several decades earlier, but which had gone out of style as the Last War was nearing its conclusion. The patterns and colors tended to be muted, and as the hint of the war ending made its way across Khorvaire... the desire for flashier attire became more the rage.

You think that the ir'Veldras family might not be as affluent as you first might suspect.[/sblock]

When you reach the front door, the sounds of looms can be heard from inside and above. However, a quick listen tells you that perhaps only a handful are going. Jango knocks on the door, and several moments later a young woman opens the door to you, smiling. However, when she gets a good look at the five of you and how you are dressed, her smile disappears. She probably realizes you aren't here to make a purchase.

"Yes, may I help you?"

jkason

First Post
Brother Donovan, warpriestly human cleric

DEFCON 1 said:
t door, the sounds of looms can be heard from inside and above. However, a quick listen tells you that perhaps only a handful are going. Jango knocks on the door, and several moments later a young woman opens the door to you, smiling. However, when she gets a good look at the five of you and how you are dressed, her smile disappears. She probably realizes you aren't here to make a purchase.

"Yes, may I help you?"

Brother Donovan figits a minute, uncomfortable with the woman's judgmental gaze, before he says rather awkwardly, "We're looking for Yellin ir'Veldras? We were told this was his mill?"

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The woman nods once at the warpriest's query... and steps to the side to allow you all to enter into the dim first floor of the old mill. "He's currently having his morning constitutional... if you'd care to wait, I will get him for you." She turns and walks over to the main staircase and heads upstairs.

The front room is furnished sparsely, indicative of perhaps not the most active storefront. They obviously are not trying to impress anyone, what with small stains here and there... dust on the arms of some of the broadbacked chairs, rugs that have not been beaten in several months perhaps.

Each of you enters the building one at a time, when out of the corner of his eye, Rogan senses... something... dash off from behind the hedge and up the side of the left side of the building. He didn't get a good look at whatever it was... but he can definitely tell that it was humanoid-sized, very quiet, and was moving in such a way as to denote stealth. He doesn't know what it was that he sensed... but it does set off some bells in his head.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Ari glances around the room dispassionately, noting the lack of care. He mentally shrugs; he wasn't here for the linens. Get some info, get out. That simple.

OOC: 'Course, stonegod suspects its not going to be that simple...

jkason

First Post
Brother Donovan, warpriestly human cleric

DEFCON 1 said:
The woman nods once at the warpriest's query... and steps to the side to allow you all to enter into the dim first floor of the old mill. "He's currently having his morning constitutional... if you'd care to wait, I will get him for you." She turns and walks over to the main staircase and heads upstairs.

"My thanks," Donovan says politely. He stays with the others downstairs, doing his best to wait patiently, though waiting is something he likes very little.

Mista Collins

First Post
Before following the woman upstairs, Rogan leans over to Donovan. "Be careful. I think we were followed here. As we entered I caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye. They were trying to be stealthy, but didn't try hard enough."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
"You may all come up. Master ir'Veldras will see you now." The woman's voice drifts down from the upstairs landing, and all five of you trudge up the stairs. When you reach the top, you see in the large second floor three long rows of looms, only four of which are currently chugging along. At each of them is a young woman, threading long strings of wool back and forth and creating cloth. It is extremely warm inside the room, as all the windows are shuttered... which has the effect of squares of sunlight seeping in around the edges of them.

You begin following the young woman to the far end of the room, towards a door leading into what you presume to be an office. As you walk, the four young women pay you no heed. However, all five of you notice quite clearly dark shadows that seem to cut across the illuminated edges of the shuttered windows on the outside... most definitely at a speed that you wouldn't attribute to passing cloud cover. One or more people or things are trying to get across the small roof ledge to the back of the building... of that you can be sure.

For those that continue forward, you reach the office at the far end of the room, where you see an old, greying man sitting at a dilapitated desk. His face is drawn and aged, his office looks as though it hasn't been used for much of anything in several years. Behind him, two floor-to-ceiling windows open up to the outside air and you all see a small railed balcony directly outside it... enough for perhaps two people to stand comfortably.

The man's eyes do not focus on any of you... as though this is all a major inconvenience to him, or he's expecting nothing to come out of this meeting. "I am Yellin... Master Tailor. What service can I provide for you? A few bolts of silk perhaps? Maybe some fine shirt and pant combinations?"

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
[sblock=Khalia: ]Your eyes focus in on the paperwork on the desk and tacked to the wall, and you catch the name 'Elias' several times... one a news clipping mentioning how he's gone missing, another about an auction announcement. [/sblock]
[sblock=Rogan/Ari: ]The balcony and railing look strong enough that a person could climb up, down and around from various points of the roof and building easily enough. For Rogan especially, probably at a pretty good speed.[/sblock]
[sblock= Jango/Donovan: ]You noticed that as the young woman led you back here, she just barely turned to notice the shadows play across the windows, then seemed to every-so-slightly speed up to get you all to the office just a little bit quicker.[/sblock]

Remove ads