• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Faerunian Warforged?

Turanil

First Post
Patman21967 said:
Whatever happened to just being a Heman, Dwarf, Elf, 1/2 Elf, Hobbit, Gnome or 1/2 Orc. Everyone has to be some weird exotic race or weirder combination of classes...I am a half-gold dragon brownie, with 5 levels in Paladin, 3 in Ninja, 3 in half-dragon brownie paragon....I'll take a chocolate munchkin please!!!

Patman21967 said:
Sorry...I'll refrain from further negative comments

From a player's perspective you were right. :D But from a DM's perspective it's another matter. I am still debating (after having read this thread) if I should convert the Warforged to C&C and put it in my next campaign. That is: as souls captured by a cottery of evil mage to manufacture construct servants.

Mmmmh... well, I think I won't do it.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Patman21967 said:
Whatever happened to just being a Heman,
Yeah, being like He-Man is cool. Even though he's arguably slightly more of a superhero than a fantasy hero.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ok, no darkvision, so the Underdark is out.

How are they on exposure to the cold?

Then you could borrow a page from HP Lovecraft and have them be the last working artifacts of a lost civilization located at your planet's polar regions.

Or even crash-landed aliens (or their servitors), like The Thing -the original 1950's movie monster, not the one from the Fantastic Four.

Testament

First Post
I was gonna say something one of the Ancient Empires, like Netheril, built. Considering that at negatives they just go inactive, they could hang around a long time. And if Netheril could cut the tops off of frickin' mountains and make them into cities, they can make an intelligent construct race!

JoeGKushner

First Post
Have 'em come from ancient Nethril and been asleep under the sands of the desert for the last xx amount of years. Seems to work well enough for bringing in liches, ultra-powerful magic items and heck, even whole cities.

Tetsubo

First Post
As some others have suggested, I think having him be a lost "artifact" of an ancient empire would be cool. He could have "awoken" after some natural event exposed him to daylight. Warforged (or forged) can still go insane if buried for too long. He has lost all memories of who he was. He just wakes up, looks around and starts to walk. Over time he realizes that he is a Mage. Acquiring a spellbook could be a cool adventure in itself. Will he be just sucking up the 5% arcane spell failure with normal Warforged plating?

ARandomGod

First Post
Feanor Starym said:
How about having them created by an ancient race? A warforged that's on negative hit points is stable indefinately. A couple of points of healing, and suddenly you have a warforged awake hundreds, maybe thousands of years later.

I like the ancient artifact idea, if you want only one. Or even multiples, since once one is out you can have either him know how to make more, or the idea get out.

In my campaign I introduced a 'warforged' in the magic shop of a chaotic good 'artificer' (mage with item creation feats). He was obviously working on a golem when the party first went into his shop. Later when a new character was needed/wanted, I offered up the creation as a warforged, which could become a PC. It was a very effective way to introduce it. They're basically enhanced golems... when this one became more sentient the maker released it, and still dotes on it as if it were his child. There could be other wizards who are less "good" who have other reactions to making a sentient golem.

edbonny

Explorer
Go with the ancient Raumathari. Arcane spellcasters famed for their battlemagic and war constructs. It seems like a perfect fit.

Von Ether

Legend
Testament said:
I was gonna say something one of the Ancient Empires, like Netheril, built. Considering that at negatives they just go inactive, they could hang around a long time. And if Netheril could cut the tops off of frickin' mountains and make them into cities, they can make an intelligent construct race!
... and perhaps some of the PC's "brothers" haven't lost their memories and have an agenda for the modern world. ...

Remove ads