• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Faerunian Warforged?

Roadkill101

Explorer
I'd kinda like to know the "Forged's" frequency of appearance and in which regions of the FR will they appear. Furthermore are they something new, or something being rediscovered.

Going with the ancient creation, now awakening centuries later theme, I'd have warforged as creations of the Imaskari. IIRC, the Imaskari were the ones credited with the giant Colossi, which sometimes activated and moved around of their own in the Shaar and regions of Unther and Mulhorand (sp?).

smootrk

First Post
ARandomGod said:
Be careful about giving them tails... or, at least if you do, be careful about giving them an additional natural "tailslap" attack.

A race with two natural attacks that would stack with claw/claw/bite of a dragon disciple could get pretty nasty.

Slam/Bite/Tailslap/claw/claw.... Or use those all as secondary attacks and start off with martial BAB based progression. Say use armor spikes for the weapon, so that you can get ALL those attacks. ^_^

The Reptile Forged idea is meant for monster/antagonists only at this time, and the idea is really raw and undeveloped yet. I will likely limit any future PC choices to the basic model. As for a Tailslap, it would probably replace the slam... being essentially a type of slam anyway. When I mentioned Reptile Inspired, I was mostly thinking cosmetic changes, but possibly having things like poison or bite attacks.

smootrk

First Post
Roadkill101 said:
I'd kinda like to know the "Forged's" frequency of appearance and in which regions of the FR will they appear. Furthermore are they something new, or something being rediscovered.

IMO the Forged are newly re-discovered. I want them to remain quite rare. The sources for the Forged would come from a variety of ancient places, initially. Activation techniques will vary based on each region/groups' research, and some of these groups have already begun methods of creating them from scratch.

I like the varied methods of creation and activation, basically allowing the most flexibility for individual backstory (both for player and myself). It also allows me to throw the different factions at each other with some potetial for ancient ruins exploration, war, espionage between groups, etc.

As a note to the individuals who do not like Warforge, or thoughts of including them as player options.... I was initially very adverse to them. I had a player who expressed interest in them, so I put aside my own opinions and tried to look into what they were about. Long story made short... I warmed up to them bit by bit, eventually really liking them enough to want to bring the race as a whole into my campaign. Now I even want to make the basic campaign to revolve a bit around the intrigues involved in their re-discovery.

warlok3227

First Post
A thought on using them as an ancient race. Has anyone thought about using them as something so ancient that they Predate this particualr cycle. Maybe a creation made by a race that fought the aboliths in on of the earlier cycles??

That would give a new reason to :
a)find them in the underdark
b) have interactions with aboliths(ie be hunted by them OR trade with them)
c) bring possibly forgotten magics/technologies into the world (using the warforged as
the first teachers ie npc's)
d) give the dm a reason to totally shift the direction of a campaign(maybe bring a fresh new
attitude to it)

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
TheYeti1775 said:
If thats what you want, have WOTC bring out SPELLJAMMER v3.5.
Very simple method then.
And you don't have to populate Toril with them everywhere to qualify as a race.

Hope springs eternal - especially after Lords of Madness. :D

smootrk

First Post
TheYeti1775 said:
If thats what you want, have WOTC bring out SPELLJAMMER v3.5.
Very simple method then.
And you don't have to populate Toril with them everywhere to qualify as a race.

Having spelljamming Forged is a good idea. I am un-aware of any aspects of Spelljamming in Eberron, although it seems to fit right into the nature of that setting.

Maybe I can modify the ancient found Forged to be part of a spelljamming landing from Eberron from ages past...

This way I say that Eberron is a setting both removed from Faerun by both "space" and "time" to avoid players wanting to jaunt back and forth...

Basically, I do not want to have to purchase all the Eberron that comes out to keep up with 2 settings... all the FR stuff is adequate.

I wouldn't do that. Part of the "core" of Eberron is that there are 13 planes, none of which are equivalent to either the Great Wheel or Faerunian cosmology. Moreover, in Eberron, the existence of divine beings is somewhat up in the air; having a Faerunian god show up would have ... weird ... consequences.

smootrk

First Post
I don't mind at all that Faerun is inaccessible to Eberron. I don't really know the cosmology/deity setup of Eberron. I do not really want characters or whatever planejumping between the settings.

But the idea that the Forged come from a Spelljamming world is a viable option, although I would still make the arrival happen far into the past (if I use this particular option at all).

I just like to collect all of the ideas that are possible... you never know where the campaign might go and anything is really an option.

Von Ether

Legend
smootrk said:
I don't mind at all that Faerun is inaccessible to Eberron. I don't really know the cosmology/deity setup of Eberron. I do not really want characters or whatever planejumping between the settings.

But the idea that the Forged come from a Spelljamming world is a viable option, although I would still make the arrival happen far into the past (if I use this particular option at all).

I just like to collect all of the ideas that are possible... you never know where the campaign might go and anything is really an option.
Borrow the Polyhedron "Spelljamer Lite" method. Spelljaming is only really done among the local planets. The drow were a penal colony on the moon until recently and the mind flayers have come from somewhere "beyond."

An easy way to introduce some new "worlds" but not redo the whole cosmology.

DMH

First Post
A wizard's failed attempts at replicating maugs. He had to constantly cut corners and used inferior materials and thus created an ECL +0 race. Maugs don't care about them one way or another.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads