• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite/Hated Race - and Why?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Myself, I've always liked Half-Elves. They have always been outcasts. Even in Eberron, where they supposedly are a "true" race, they don't have a kingdom or city that's really their own.

I also liked 2E and 3E Aasimar and Tieflings, but that's probably due to an abundance of Planescape™ games.

Greg K

Legend
1. Favorite: Humans. They get more diversity in most campaigns. Plus, as written by someone else, I am one.

2. Least favorites (vampires and Tieflings will never be a PC race in a game I run and the others will never be included in a game that I run).
a. Dragonborn
b. Tieflings (as a PC race)
c. Shardminds
d. Wilden
e. Githzerai: never liked them or Githyanki
f. Shadar-kai: thought they were lame in 3e.
e. Shade
f. Vampire (as a PC race)
g. 4e Warforged
h. 3e illumians

Jimlock

Adventurer
... i can't believe i'm the third person to say this after 3 pages already....

Favorite: ElVES! all subraces.... ..why?

Best design!!!!

Least favorite: Elves designed by the japanese..... disgusting...

lostingeneral

First Post
2. Least favorites (vampires and Tieflings will never be a PC race in a game I run and the others will never be included in a game that I run).
a. Dragonborn
b. Tieflings (as a PC race)
c. Shardminds
d. Wilden
e. Githzerai: never liked them or Githyanki
f. Shadar-kai: thought they were lame in 3e.
e. Shade
f. Vampire (as a PC race)
g. 4e Warforged
h. 3e illumians

I have six of those races as player characters in my current game.

I feel so... eclectic.

balam_br

Explorer
Least favorite: lots of "humans with new rules" that were born in 3.x, like elans, Illumians, Vashar and so on...
But gnomes are a close second (the only player race i cut out from my game world cause, like a lot people said, they have nothing new to offer)

Favorite: Shifters, just love the werewolf vibe...

Glade Riven

Adventurer
... i can't believe i'm the third person to say this after 3 pages already....

Favorite: ElVES! all subraces.... ..why?

Best design!!!!

Least favorite: Elves designed by the japanese..... disgusting...
I'm guessing because most japanese elves are just humans with pointy ears?

Perram

Explorer
Favorite: Halflings! When done well, they really open up some possibilities for story telling that is difficult to do otherwise. Sometimes its good to explore the aspects of sidekicks!

Least Favorite: Vampire / Drow / Half Demon / any race that a problem player is going to play to change the theme of the campaign to steal the spotlight and make it all about his own dark brooding story. Though, I've seen ALL of those done well in the past, and had no problems.

Shades of Green

First Post
My favorite non-humans are Dwarves... Underrated and have LOTS of flavour, plus they are an excellent excuse to introduce steampunk to the game.

My least favorite race is a tough choice between Elf and Gnome. The Elf is highly over-used in almost any modern fantasy story (not to mention RPGs), while the Gnome is kind of redundant as its niche is already filled by dwarves and halflings.

Camelot

Adventurer
Putting one in for the genasi. Elemental humans are just cool!

I don't have a least favorite. I'm one of those "everything exists in my world" DMs, because I'm so easy to please. They haven't published anything I find shouldn't be included yet.

I also agree that elves shouldn't get all the hatred. You don't have to play them the way they are in Lord of the Rings. And if that's why you hate them, then you should be hating the eladrin in 4th edition.

Remove ads