• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Wielding Style

What is your favorite wielding style?

• One handed weapon and open hand

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Two handed weapon

Votes: 41 26.1%
  • One handed weapon and shield

Votes: 49 31.2%
  • Two weapons

Votes: 39 24.8%
  • Two shields?

Votes: 8 5.1%

ninjajester

First Post
the daffy duck robin hood cartoon was silly, and it had quarterstaffs...

two weapon all the way, probably two short swords or short sword and sword breaker (but that would take way too many feats).

maybe a bastard sword every now and then (versatility and style).

Ron

Explorer
I like to fight in classical style: sword + shield. However, it is indisputable that twin swords is a much superior style. The problem is not with the two-weapon fighting rules, but rather in the lame way in which D&D handles shields.

Last edited:

jollyninja

First Post
i'll take a magical shield over a second weapon as far as utility goes. however there is nothing as stylish as two weapon fighting with the possible exception of one weapon and something else. i usually go with a sword and a dagger just cuz anything else just does not feel quite right. i do not like the look of a two longsword fighter. twin shortswords i can handle but anything bigger would just not be all that wieldy. 4 pounds might not sound like much but a baseball bat only weighs 2 lbs (i'm from a metric country, it's 16 oz to the pound right?), try swinging 2 of those around. yes i know weignt distribution adds to the unwieldyness of a bat.

James McMurray

First Post
I voted one handed weapon and shield, but it really depends on the character. For wizards I never have anything in either hand except perhaps a metamagic rod.

For fighters, I would really like to play one that fought with sword and shield but used the feats to be able to attack with the shield and still get the AC bonus.

For clerics, its one handed weapon only if I'm going into melee, or shield only if I'm hanging back.

For rogues it depends on the rogue. Sometimes two weapons can be nice, but sometimes sword and shield would be better.

WombleHunter

First Post
I prefer to use 030 E71T-GS flux core wire to ensure a really good penetration. I mean, my gas mig normally can only do 3/16" steel, and that's ona good day. But man, convert that sucker over to a flux core weld and it's do 3/8" steel, easy.

Sometimes I feel daring and wanna try some vertical up. Then I have to angle the gun in the opposite direction as I do the mig. I like to shoot the wire in five degrees pointing downward though, it's just my style.

Here's where I usually write about it.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
I always favored a heavy mace or sword in the good hand, and a small mace or short sword in the off-hand, or if possible two long swords or two maces.

Nothing like anointing your foe on the head with a good whack of a mace, and if he doesn't get the hint, give him another anointment with the second mace.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Sword and sheild is a favorite, just cause it's a best of both worlds kind of thing. You can carry a high-impact weapon, and still maintain something like a decent AC. Of course, I mostly get to play npc's, so the opportunities to explore the various other styles are well and truly taken.

My PC's, such as they are, prefer style and mobility over defensiveness and practicality, so they usually weild either a single weapon or twinned weapons.

Nish

First Post
DarwinofMind said:

I've never seen the slightest thing silly about the quarterstaff
Neither have I. I said most. Take a look at the dire flail. That thing looks more dangerous to the wielder than anyone else. ;)

Remove ads