• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fear the Blade master V1.04

jaker2003

Explorer
I need a once over and any opinions.

Blade Master

Hit Die: d10

Requirements
To qualify to become a blade master, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +5.
Skills: Tumble 6, Balance 6, Sense Motive 6
Feats: Combat Expertise, Dodge, Weapon Focus (dagger or any sword).

Class Skills
The blade master’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (str), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Tumble (Dex). See Chapter 4 of the Player’s Handbook for skill descriptions.
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Blade masters neither gain nor loose proficiencies.

Chosen Weapon (Ex): Choose one type of sword or dagger for which you already have the weapon focus feat. You have forsaken all other weapons to master this one. A blade master adds his blade master level as a competence bonus to all damage rolls made with his chosen weaon. A blade master recieves a competence penalty equal to his blade master level on attack rolls made with any weapon but his chosen weapon.

Disbelief (Ex): At 2nd level, the blade master gains Skill Focus (sense motive) as a bonus feat

Deflect Arrows (Ex): At 3rd level, when wielding his chosen weapon, a blade master may deflect an arrow with his blade, as the Deflect Arrows feat.

Canny Defense (Ex): At 4th level, when not using a shield, a blade master uses his Intelligence bonus as a shield bonus to modify his Armor Class while wielding his chosen weapon. The shield bonus cannot exceed his blade master level. The blade master cannot use this ability when denied his dexterity bonus.

Spot Weakness (Ex): A 5th level blade master can search his enemies’ armor and tactics for a weakness. A blade master may analyze his target’s defenses to receive an Insight bonus on attack rolls against that target. The total number of evaluated targets the blade master may have at any time is equal to his Intelligence bonus. Analyzing a target is a move action. A blade master may use a standard action to strike an evaluated foe with a single attack with his chosen weapon. This attack recieves a +5 Insight bonus on the attack roll and if the attack threatens a critical, the blade master recieves a +10 Insight bonus on the confirm roll. The benefits against an evaluated target only last for the encounter it was evaluated in.

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +1 +0 +2 +0 Favored Weapon
2 +2 +0 +3 +0 Disbelief
3 +3 +1 +3 +1Deflect Arrows
4 +4 +1 +4 +1 Canny Defense
5 +5 +1 +4 +1 Spot Weakness

Last edited:

Brain

First Post
I don't like it for several reasons:
1. Blade master but no "blade" related abilities. The flavor is lacking.
2. Requirements too easy. Entry at 4th level is almost unheard of in PrCs.
3. Duplication of other classes abilities or feats. This just seems like someone wants a bit of duelist, a bit of dwarven defender, and a bit of barbarian, and wants to ignore the alignment issues and such. To get all those abilities in 5 levels is a bit much.
4. Flurry of Fury is too good.

Ruvion

First Post
Nifft said:
Sadly, I'm sworn to never help someone with a really log sig. :(

-- N

a woody sig? or a long sig? ^^

yea...Make Flurry of Furry one extra attack at -2 to all attacks and it becomes a little better. Start from there. ;)

Witness

First Post
every light-armored melee type should get Tumble, Balance, Climb and Jump as class skills.

what does being a master of blades have to do with Rage? Drop the additional Rage ability. Also, what class is Defensive Stance from? I'm sure I'v seen it before, but I can't remember where.

I would change the abilities so that all of them can only be used with the chosen weapon, which must be a sword or dagger. Drop Deflect Arrows as a prereq, and change the class ability so that it is just like the Deflect Arrows feat but the arrow is deflected with their sword. Also, add Weapon Focus (Any Sword or Dagger) to teh prereqs.

Sravoff

First Post
I would make spot the weakenss a spot check instead of search. If my memory serves me right search is actual prodding and looking, spotting is, well, spotting.

-Sravoff

Remove ads