• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feats that boost initiative

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
For the same reason a 19th level VoP character can't walk into the game with a +5 bonus to strength from a bunch of wishes his friend cast on him?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
It has a value, and an expensive one, at that. A single wish or permanency is worth more than any mundane armor. While it may be ok to have those spells cast on the VoP character's behalf in-game (I'm really not sure), even then I don't think it'd be ok to walk "fresh" to the game benefiting from any.It kinda defeats the whole meaning of the vow, and leads to lots of potential abuse.

EDIT: Or, perhaps a better answer: If a normal character were starting a game with any permanencies or wishes on him, you'd expect him to have paid for them out of his starting wealth. But the voP character has given up having that starting wealth.

Slaved

First Post
StreamOfTheSky said:
It has a value, and an expensive one, at that. A single wish or permanency is worth more than any mundane armor. While it may be ok to have those spells cast on the VoP character's behalf in-game (I'm really not sure), even then I don't think it'd be ok to walk "fresh" to the game benefiting from any.It kinda defeats the whole meaning of the vow, and leads to lots of potential abuse.

EDIT: Or, perhaps a better answer: If a normal character were starting a game with any permanencies or wishes on him, you'd expect him to have paid for them out of his starting wealth. But the voP character has given up having that starting wealth.

You are just saying it is up to the Dungeon Master. I Agree. That is why I asked if Permanencied Spells would be All Right. :D :D :D

Elethiomel

First Post
Slaved said:
How does Wealth stop a Character from Applying a Spell?
Because, according to the rules in the PHB, having NPCs cast spells on you costs you money.
A character with Vow of Poverty is forbidden from possessing material goods.
Hence, a character with Vow of Poverty cannot afford to have NPCs cast spells on them.
Before a campaign starts, all interaction with other characters in the world is by definition interaction with NPCs, unless the PCs' background stories are tightly intertwined.

Which is to say that if a VoP character wants to start play with a permanencied spells cast on them, this would have to be from another PC. It is then up to the players and GM to negotiate how that happened.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads