[FFD20] Let's Mass our Forces, and Rebuild our Power

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
DimTye said:

Hrm.

I think that the feats for spellcasting are a little... clunky. Are you sure they're necessary? As feats, I mean. It is a little strange.

The level 5 cap on red mage spells is fine, imo.

Also, quick question on red mages - do we want to include the spell x2 ability from V? It was 999 AP (or somewhere around there) to get, but it was a vaguely useful ability, if you wanted to cast a couple of lower level spells one right after the other. I'm not certain if that would be unbalancing or not, though.

drothgery

First Post
GnomeWorks said:
The level 5 cap on red mage spells is fine, imo.

We've had arguments (or at least sample classes) for everything from level 5 to level 7 here. I favor 6 mostly because it involves the least creating new mechanics, as both the Bard and PsiWarrior already cap there. But I think it's also good because we probably want to start introducing the really big guns of FF black magic -- Flare and the like -- at level 7, and keep them out of the hands of non-epic level Red Mages.

GnomeWorks said:
Also, quick question on red mages - do we want to include the spell x2 ability from V? It was 999 AP (or somewhere around there) to get, but it was a vaguely useful ability, if you wanted to cast a couple of lower level spells one right after the other. I'm not certain if that would be unbalancing or not, though.

I never played V, but that seems like it's no more powerful than 1 round of a 3.0 Haste, and roughly similar in power to Twin Power (which I renamed Twin Spell in my write-up). So I don't think it would be a bad metamagic feat, if the mechanics were straightened out.

Drake Masters

First Post
Mp System

An idea my friend had, still following the MP system, was that every class had, like their Hit Die, a MP die. If anyone has read Creamsteak's new post of his FFT D20 classess, then here is the suggested MP die list: (All mp die are per level)

Knight, 1d4
Archer, 1d4
Chemist, 1d6
Priest, 1d10
Wizard, 1d10
Monk, 1d6
Thief, 1d4
Time Mage, 1d10
Oracle, 1d8
Geomancer, 1d4, (or 1d6)
Lancer, 1d4
Mediator, 1d6
Summoner, 1d12
Samurai, 1d4
Ninja, 1d6
Calculator, 1d4
Bard, 1d8
Dancer, 1d8
Mime, 1d4

The MP is increased by the Wisdom Ability, so a Priest with an 18 in wisdom will gain 1d10+4 MP per level. This is just an idea, and my friends and I will be playtesting it this weekend.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Drake - you have only FFT classes listed there, minus the squire. Don't forget about classes from other FF's, such as blue mages, mystic knights, and the like.

Pengin

First Post
Red Mages...

I think Red Mages should probably just have a level six spell cap, since that is the median between 5 and 7 (which I think has all ready been noted.) Furthermore that neatly seperates spells into three catagories of three levels each: 1-3, 4-6, and 7-9.

I'll note, however, the original FF Red Mages could cast seven out of eight levels of spells (though I could be wrong there.) That is the main reason I've been pushing for a higher limit but can understand game balance concerns.

The "everyone rolls for MP" idea is kind of cool, and one I'm trying with some Lunar d20 rules (I've tried to start so many d20 projects it's not even funny. The number finished to date: zero.) This way even a non-spellcaster will have something to start on should they take levels in a spell casting class, thus feeling less behind once they finally get the ability to cast spells. Mages still raise their BAB while leveling in their traditionally non-combatant classes, after all.

Anyway, that's all I have to say for now. I've been sort of working on some Bard rules for a FF Tactics style Bard but don't want to post anything until I've had time to heavily edit it and we've gotten the core classes set.

-Karl

MP System

The "MP Die" that drake masters posted was a my Idea. I also have ben working on a uniformed system for a spell's MP cost.
Basicly in D&D 3rd in a wizards spell book a spell takes up twice it's level in pages, exept for 0 level spells which take up one page. I made a converstion system using this for a wizard to exchange higher level spells for multiple low leval spells.
Anyways the idea is that u use the pages would take up for a spell's MP cost. simply put MP cost= 2X Spell level
Perhapse after testing the cost can be modified as per spell (EX. Wish, Ultima, Sumons...)
I relize this is simaler to the Psionic's PP System... I think:confused: but just don't care...

Last edited:

Drake Masters

First Post
GW, Mp system

Uh... GW, did you read the pdf file that CS posted, his first concept is all FFT. I think their on pg 2 of the forum if you didn't. Try taking a look at it.

drothgery

First Post
I don't think the 'MP die' idea will work out very well in practice. Poor MP rolls penalize a caster quite a bit more than poor HP rolls would penalize a melee-type.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Re: GW, Mp system

Drake Masters said:
Uh... GW, did you read the pdf file that CS posted, his first concept is all FFT. I think their on pg 2 of the forum if you didn't. Try taking a look at it.

Yes, I have seen creamsteak's previous work. However, if you take a look at what's been discussed on this particular thread, then you will see that FFT isn't the only FF being used.

If you're just using those to playtest the idea, then just ignore me, as I misinterpreted your post. ;) I like the concept, but I think your list should be expanded to include the other classes.

Remove ads