• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[FFD20] Let's Mass our Forces, and Rebuild our Power

Lune Knight was I believe, Dycedarg's class. It was basically the same as either the Samurai or the Divine Knight I think (I can't remember exactly now).

Church Inquisitor I don't recall, although I think it's just white magic.

Sorcerer some one described earlier in this thread I believe.
-Edit-However, if you're talking about the FFT Sorcerer, that was on an NPC and he had all the magic spells in the game in one ability... -Definately not for PC use

Update on where I'm at. I finished a PrC and Core Class progression for the Blue Mage, and now I have to type up the abilities they gain before posting a preliminary document on it.

Last edited:

Drake Masters

First Post
Church Inquisitor

Zalmo was the name of the Church inquisitor. He had a combo of White Magic, (Including some that your standard Priest could not get) and Yin Yang Magic. He was pretty powerful, and a pain in the rear.

Never knew much of Zalmo's powers, even with going through the game almost 3 times...price you pay when your Ramza went to monk and ninja early to have that double attack and doing a crazy amount of damage the whole game ;) (By the end, he was easily doing 999/999 a round, and with brave counter he had a 99% phys evade-yes, I'm a munchkin in video games as well ;))

I like Drake Master's & Percies the Dwarf's system of MP myself, especially the fact that it's dependant on wisdom. I think spellcasters should have a maximum amount of spells known, like the DnD sorcerer, and that they should receive bonus spells known from having a high Int (using the extra spells for having a high stat mod. from the PHB). It might be going too far, but perhaps base DCs on Cha as well, so that the spellcaster would use all three mental stats-but not sure on that, since it might cripple them too much.

Just a thought :)

Last edited:

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Sollir Furryfoot said:
I like Drake Maste'rs & Percies the Dwarf's system of MP myself, especially the fact that it's dependant on wisdom. I think spellcasters should have a maximum amount of spells known, like the DnD sorcerer, and that they should receive bonus spells known from having a high Int (using the extra spells for having a high stat mod. from the PHB). It might be going too far, but perhaps base DCs on Cha as well, so that the spellcaster would use all three mental stats-but not sure on that, since it might cripple them too much.

Just a thought :)

Using the three mental stats for spellcasters might not be a bad idea, actually. After all, melee chars have to deal with three...

Strength - for melee attacks and damage
Dexterity - for ranged attacks and AC
Constitution - for hit points

So having three for spellcasters wouldn't hurt too much.

True, but Constitution isn't a universal thing for most fighters, and some of them can go without Dexterity by using heavier armors. Still, I do like the thought of using 3 different ability scores, making everything uniformed so you don't have to worry about different classes using different spellcasting scores.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Sollir Furryfoot said:
True, but Constitution isn't a universal thing for most fighters, and some of them can go without Dexterity by using heavier armors. Still, I do like the thought of using 3 different ability scores, making everything uniformed so you don't have to worry about different classes using different spellcasting scores.

True. But having a high Dex and wearing cheaper armor is always preferable to having a poor Dex and being forced to wear plate mail if you don't want to be chopped to bits. ;)

I agree that having the stats uniform for all spellcasters would be a good idea and help make things easier.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Astronomer was broken. No questions asked. Two words: Galaxy Stop.

Just figured I had to say it... the only reason why the class was intentionally unbalanced was as an inside joke that you wouldn't understand until you beat the game. Even then I didn't realize it till my second time through. It's just the story-teller (Alexei Durai) exagerating his own ancestor. It's questionable, however, whether Cid was meant as a joke in the same way, and it's legitimately debatable.

I thought it was one of the best hidden jokes in the game... the other being that gun that petrified the user.

On the subject of using all three spellcasting stats, I also think it makes the MP system above slightly more interesting (I'm not saying I've really decided on this either way) if you gain bonus mp from all three mental scores.

Int 14
Wis 16
Cha 13

would net a +2+3+1 to mp per level... which is a mechanic I would consider if we make higher level magic coust a great deal of mp.

Last edited:

Drake Masters

First Post
Mp System

The next question would be if we are to come up with a uniform MP cost for the spells, or if someone is to make up a MP cost for each spell.

Tri-Stat Spell Casting

INT= Spells Known
WIS= MP
CHA= Save DC

I have to admit this is a good idea. While I have no arguments with this I would just like to point out that a mage still needs to worry about DEX and CON (but mainly dex).
I don't know about having all 3 mental stats adding to his MP. That seems to take away from the importance of wisdom.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Re: Mp System

Drake Masters said:
The next question would be if we are to come up with a uniform MP cost for the spells, or if someone is to make up a MP cost for each spell.

I don't think uniformity is necessarily a good idea. For instance, a black mage's 2nd level spells wouldn't necessarily cost as much as a blue mage's 2nd level spells. Some 2nd level spells are more powerful or just plain more useful than others.

However, if you could determine a spell's MP cost through factors, similar to determining the Spellcraft DC of an epic spell, I think that would be a good idea.

Remove ads