• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[FFD20] Let's Mass our Forces, and Rebuild our Power

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Sollir Furryfoot said:
Well, with my class I made it as a Will save, though I'm not sure if I should change that or not.

Hmm... I made a skill called Monstercraft that was the basis for learning the ability.

Getting hit with it might be under observation, but so far I haven't planned on using it, really.

But that's the usual way of learning it.

Observation is the standard way of doing it, it requires a standard action within a certain range of the monster (haven't decided yet, probably close range equivilant), and if the monster uses an Su ability, you make a Will save (DC=DC of used ability, or if no DC 10+1/2 monster HD+mosnter's cha mod)-if you're successful, you gain the ability on your abilities known list, although there's a maximum amount of abilities known you can have.

Close range is what I was going to go with for observation. I like how you did the DC's... admittedly, I used a far worse system.

The second way of doing it I took from FFX, and entitled an ability named Lancelet. Lancelet can only be used a certain # of times per day, depending on your level, but what you can basically do is "mark" a monster by making a ranged touch attack against it. If it uses any Su abilities for the next 1 round/Blue Mage level, you get a chance, as above, to learn it-or, if you're observing it at the same time it's marked, you get a +4 bonus on your Will save.

Interesting ability. I like the idea.

Finally, at 10th level of the PrC version of the class, or 18th level of the core class version, you get Constant Observation (need to think of a better name, perhaps), which basically means you automatically observe all the monsters within a certain radius (I'm thinking 5 ft. per level), without taking an action, although you receive a -4 penalty to your Will save when doing this.

5 feet/level sounds alright... at 10th for the PrC, it's even with normal observation. But at 18th, it's 90 feet out for constant observation, while only 70 feet out for normal observation. Admittedly the -4 penalty is a balancing factor, but I don't know if it's enough.

Edit-In both ways, you get a +1 cumulative bonus to your Will save for observing/lanceletting each time the ability is used in an encounter, and you haven't learned it.

I don't know if trying to learn it multiple times should result in a bonus on later attempts in the same encounter. Your chances of learning an ability are relatively good to start off with, so if you fail once or twice, I don't think that bonuses are really all that necessary.

A +1 or +2 shouldn't matter too much, but it makes sense that if you've been trying to learn an ability, and have had multiple times to observe it, you would have a better chance.

About the observation though, at high levels, the DC for the Will save is tough enough, and you probably won't be able to do it nearly as easily at a -4 penalty, although I see your point. However, by 18th level in a single class, I would imagine they'd earn where they're at.

Hrm, still thinking. Maybe I'll just change the normal observation range to something nonstandard, like 10 ft. per level or something.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Sollir Furryfoot said:
A +1 or +2 shouldn't matter too much, but it makes sense that if you've been trying to learn an ability, and have had multiple times to observe it, you would have a better chance.

True, it wouldn't matter much...

About the observation though, at high levels, the DC for the Will save is tough enough, and you probably won't be able to do it nearly as easily at a -4 penalty, although I see your point. However, by 18th level in a single class, I would imagine they'd earn where they're at.

Granted. The Will save DC will be tough. That's why I decided to use a skill instead of a saving throw.

And I suppose, if you're 18th level in your class, you should be darn good at what you do. :)

Hrm, still thinking. Maybe I'll just change the normal observation range to something nonstandard, like 10 ft. per level or something.

I prefer standard ranges, and I think Close is a good one. The penalty, assuming it remains a saving throw, is more than enough to balance it, really - at least at higher levels, anyway.

Drake Masters

First Post
Blue Spells

Just a thought, maybe we could come up with a Formula to Make Blue mage spells similar to the "Epic Spell Creation" formula, and the "Spellcraft DC" would be what was needed to learn the spell.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Re: Blue Spells

Drake Masters said:
Just a thought, maybe we could come up with a Formula to Make Blue mage spells similar to the "Epic Spell Creation" formula, and the "Spellcraft DC" would be what was needed to learn the spell.

Hmm. That could work... though it would be a little odd. I think a simple system, like a Will save or skill check, is best. The less complexity while still retaining the flavor, the better. :)

Jeff_M_Stone

First Post
I like it, the observing thing is a good idea. but I still think Blue mages should get a skill like Lancet so they can do something to help the party at low levels

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Jeff_M_Stone said:
I like it, the observing thing is a good idea. but I still think Blue mages should get a skill like Lancet so they can do something to help the party at low levels

And how would Lancelet help the party, in ways other than giving the blue mage the ability to learn new blue spells?

Pengin

First Post
Lancelet...

GW, if I recall correctly Lancelet did a bit of HP and MP damage as well as getting Kimahri new blue magics.

-Karl

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Re: Lancelet...

Pengin said:
GW, if I recall correctly Lancelet did a bit of HP and MP damage as well as getting Kimahri new blue magics.

Ah. Thanks... as you can probably tell, I haven't played X yet, so I wasn't aware of what it did, other than what Sollir mentioned.

Jeff_M_Stone

First Post
ah, sorry, should've mentionned that maybe ^^
but yes, Lancet absorbs a small amount of HP/MP from the monster its used on. Emphasis on small.

Remove ads