• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
heh, if the FF, MM2, MM3, and MM4 had all been at least 50% conversions, there would be very few unconverted monsters left. :) you can ask Echohawk how many hundreds of them remain currently...

glass

(he, him)
Upper_Krust said:
That leads me on to another pet peeve of mine - Outsiders with Class Levels. Please refrain from using this mechanically lazy and philosophically debateable* approach to outsiders where possible.
Adding class level is no easier than any other methods of advancements; how is it 'lazy'?
*Outsiders/Spirits are not free willed beings.
I don't agree wit that, but even if I did, what does this have to do with class levels?

glass.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
heh, if the FF, MM2, MM3, and MM4 had all been at least 50% conversions, there would be very few unconverted monsters left. :) you can ask Echohawk how many hundreds of them remain currently...

Nah, there'd still be plenty. His latest count was at 301, and that only accounts for some of the 2E campaign settings, and assumes WotC wouldn't want to update anything that has been done by athas.org, Planewalker, etc. Dragon and Dungeon have several hundred unconverted creatures, there's still a plethora of FR critters, and we still have to account for Greyhawk and OD&D monsters. I'll bet the count exceeds 1,000.

I only count about 200 creatures in the MMIII. If 100 were conversions, then we might be caught up by MM XIII. :p

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
LOL - probably true on all of that. ;) however, i have to disagree that WotC would not want to redo something already done by the official sites of Planescape, Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Mystara, etc as they have already demonstated their willingness to reuse campaign-specific creatures in generic-setting books. :) which is fine, of course - the campaign setting still retains the flavor for the monster's origins, but the creature becomes available to a wider audience.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, no disagreement here. Heck, several Ravenloft critters were in Dragon not too long ago, and I'll bet they appeared in the Kargatane and Sword and Sorcery books previously. I just meant that Echohawk hadn't counted them, that's all. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads