• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shemeska said:
*grin*

Given the fact that there's a Molydeus proxy of Pale Night named 'The Crimson Simoniac' who has taken an unhealthy interest in the PCs in my current campaign... yeah I'm looking forward to this on a number of levels. *evil grin*

yes, time to move away from concentrating on the lords, and more onto the lessers... :)

we've had hints that the long-lost molydeus will be returning. as the only remaining unconverted tanar'ri, it will be welcome! :)

also the preview tells us that the chasme will be back as well.

i'm wondering with anticipation as to what demons and other Abyssal monsters will be returning/debuting in this here book. :)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Nightfall said:
Don't tell him that Shem! I like the fact he was in the dark. Plus BoVD wasn't that good.

Sacrilige! :mad:

I love that book! :cool:

I admit it could have been better organized, and it needed to be bigger and meaner. A Lot Bigger And A Lot Meaner. This is my hope for the Fiendish Codex books.

Still, BoVD is just full of Vile goodness. It's way better than BoEDs, which I like but don't love.

KF72

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Whatever one thinks about the BoVD, one thing is obvious: It's a 3.0 book, and demons (to a certain extent) got fairly significant upgrades in the 3.5 revision. Those in the BoVD (and in the Manual of the Planes) needed to be updated to the 3.5 rules, so you can certainly expect to see several of these guys (like the chasme) in the new demons chapter of Fiendish Codex. Of course, that's not to say that there won't be any new demons either... there's a good balance of classic, updated demons and brand new demons in the book. I still haven't seen the final product yet, so I don't know if any of the demons I designed or updated got cut or not, but in my turnover the split was roughly 60% updated demons (including demons updated from editions previous to 3rd) and 40% brand new demons.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Knightfall1972 said:
Sacrilige!I admit it could have been better organized, and it needed to be bigger and meaner. A Lot Bigger And A Lot Meaner. This is my hope for the Fiendish Codex books.

Still, BoVD is just full of Vile goodness. It's way better than BoEDs, which I like but don't love.
Well that's summarizes my opinion pretty well, even though I'm discovering the BoED and what I've read so far makes me like it a lot. I use some material from BoVD in my campaign and like the general feel of it, even if indeed it could have been a lot bigger and meaner for its own good.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
James Jacobs said:
Whatever one thinks about the BoVD, one thing is obvious: It's a 3.0 book, and demons (to a certain extent) got fairly significant upgrades in the 3.5 revision. Those in the BoVD (and in the Manual of the Planes) needed to be updated to the 3.5 rules, so you can certainly expect to see several of these guys (like the chasme) in the new demons chapter of Fiendish Codex. Of course, that's not to say that there won't be any new demons either... there's a good balance of classic, updated demons and brand new demons in the book. I still haven't seen the final product yet, so I don't know if any of the demons I designed or updated got cut or not, but in my turnover the split was roughly 60% updated demons (including demons updated from editions previous to 3rd) and 40% brand new demons.

so, basically... the idea that i'm getting is that FC1 is going to be the book (at least, in regards to demons), that a lot of people think the BoVD should have been? :)

so really, it could have any number of critters from, say, this thread to be updated to 3.5: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=78968

Shade

Monster Junkie
James Jacobs said:
I still haven't seen the final product yet, so I don't know if any of the demons I designed or updated got cut or not, but in my turnover the split was roughly 60% updated demons (including demons updated from editions previous to 3rd) and 40% brand new demons.

If only the MMIII, MMIV, and future monster books would follow this ratio of updated/new. <sigh>

Remove ads