Fighting fantasy d20!

niteshade6

First Post
So how far did the FF gamebook series ever get? I used to absolutely love fighting fantasy when I was in high school, but I remember that in America we were several books behind england and at some point we just seemed to stop getting them (at least in New York) even though I knew there were still several books that had yet to be released. I think we stopped seeing them somewhere around 20.

Are these new books going to be solo gamebooks like the old days? Or just modules for D&D that recreate the old FF adventures?

Eternalknight

First Post
niteshade6 said:
So how far did the FF gamebook series ever get? I used to absolutely love fighting fantasy when I was in high school, but I remember that in America we were several books behind england and at some point we just seemed to stop getting them (at least in New York) even though I knew there were still several books that had yet to be released. I think we stopped seeing them somewhere around 20.

Are these new books going to be solo gamebooks like the old days? Or just modules for D&D that recreate the old FF adventures?

They got up to book 59. Apparently a 60th book was written but never published.

These are going to be d20 modules. The solo gamebooks themselves were re-released in England and Australia (the two biggest markets for the original series) last year.

Arnwyn

First Post
Canada was pretty good, as well - they released all of them (up to #59) here. My collection (a few of which I've actually converted to d20 modules recently - somewhat easily, too) went up to #43 before stupid University took away my life, way back when.

However, I've got a horrible feeling that these d20 incarnations won't see the light of day in North America...

niteshade6

First Post
Wow all the way up to 60, that's alot of books that never made it here. I wonder how good the later ones were. I suppose I could always look for them on e-bay, but I wonder if I'd still like them as much now. I remember my one big complaint with the game was that so much depended on what you rolled for your original skill score, if you rolled a 1, the game was usualy impossible.

DungeonKeeperUK

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Hi Krug! :)

I saw these at Gencon UK.

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain and Caverns of the Snow Witch. They looked good (from what little I could glean) if a mite short.

Surely Deathtrap Dungeon should be a mega-adventure?

I actually did this, though maybe badly ;), way back in my teens when adventures were hard to come by and my juices not flowing fully for writing them... they turned out OK, we had fun anyway which is what counts...

Can't wait to see it in d20 though.. WOOHOO :p

Eternalknight

First Post
niteshade6 said:
Wow all the way up to 60, that's alot of books that never made it here. I wonder how good the later ones were. I suppose I could always look for them on e-bay, but I wonder if I'd still like them as much now. I remember my one big complaint with the game was that so much depended on what you rolled for your original skill score, if you rolled a 1, the game was usualy impossible.

Yep, many of the latter books were excellent. Return to Firetop Mountain and Legend of Zagor both followed on from The Warlock of Firetop Mountain... Trial of Champions and Armies of Death followed on from Deathtrap Dungeon, though weren't as good as the original. I'd have to say that Night Dragon (book 52) was my favourite of the later ones.

S'mon

Legend
They were on sale at I think the Travelling Man retailer booth. I thought they looked very skimpy, and lacked the excellent Ian McCaig art of the originals. They seemed expensive for such slim volumes, also - 32pp for £10. I had a brief look at the writing, also, and I wasn't very impressed. Oh well.

Carnifex

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Hey Carnifex! :)

You might want to consider using elements from the Scarred Lands setting. The Creature Collections (1&2) have Ratmen and the Carnival Krewe (quasi-circus troupe type villains).

:) I think rogues would be fine forn the circus clowns, with fighter levels for the tougher ones and the black-and-white guys. As for the slitheren, yeah, they'd be fine but I already have stats for a ratman race that I use IMC, the vermen, so I'd probably just use them. On the other hand, having different areas of the ratmen's trench and inverted city being controlled by different slitheren types :)

Remove ads