Fighting fantasy d20!

Arnwyn

First Post
Eternalknight said:
Were there any books you guys struggled with to get through? For me, I could never get through The Crimson Tide, Siege of Sardath and Beneath Nightmare Castle.
Creature of - freakin' - Havoc. Impossible. You had to find that one guy with the amulet to find that one secret passage at the very beginning, or you were done. Blech. Never liked that one.

I did manage to legitimately solve Beneath Nightmare Castle. :) To this day it's one of my favourites. Man, I liked that one.

Just like kibbitz above, I'd name a few of my favourites if I didn't have more than 15 of them!

Carnifex

First Post
I think it was called 'Mage Hunter', the one I couldn't do. I tried just plain old cheating, trying to read through every single possible method of doing the game to get the best of the end resutls (there were several but only 1 resulted in you ending up with your real body and not the bad guy's, as well as saving a noblemans son you were supposed to be protecting).

And I couldn't do it. I think there was a screw up. To get the perfect ending you had to get a genie ring, so that you could get a vezirs robe from this guy. If you had the robe you could get a magic mace to destroy some skeletons that you were otherwise killed by (too many of them), and could then get on with beating the bad guy. But to get the ring you had to have chosen a certain path of events by which you were alerady mightily screwed and could onyl end up int he final ending where Reinhardt died and you ended up in the wrong body :(

Tratyn Runewind said:
Hello,

Well, you've saved yourself a bit of embarrassment, anyway. The Steve Jackson of Steve Jackson Games is a Texan. The Steve Jackson of the Sorcery series and other Fighting Fantasy books is from the United Kingdom (and is also one of the founders of Games Workshop).

Loved the Sorcery series (the only Fighting Fantasy books I've seen) myself; they made the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books, their closest competition at the time, seem utterly pathetic in comparison. I would probably pick up the d20 version if it had information enough to set a campaign in the world - I'd probably not bother, though, if it had little more than was necessary to run the modules.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Man... That would have been emarrassing, wouldn't it?

Sad thing is, if I'd stopped to think about it, I'd have figured it out for myself. I know Steve Jackson of SJ Games is a Texan; I live in Austin myself. And I know the FF and Sorcery! books were Brittish. But somehow, I never made the mental leap required to realize there were two of 'em.

Jeez... Maybe I better just go back to letting other people tell me what to write. ;)

kibbitz

First Post
arnwyn said:

Creature of - freakin' - Havoc. Impossible. You had to find that one guy with the amulet to find that one secret passage at the very beginning, or you were done. Blech. Never liked that one.

I did manage to legitimately solve Beneath Nightmare Castle. :) To this day it's one of my favourites. Man, I liked that one.

Just like kibbitz above, I'd name a few of my favourites if I didn't have more than 15 of them!

Oh boy, Creature of Havoc. Lost count of the no of times I wanted to take a plane trip and murder the authors :D Nightmare Castle is much much easier, there are tricks to it, though bad luck gets you killed quite often with that Willpower bit. Sardath was relatively difficult, since like a few others, it involves a very specific route for traversion, take a wrong turn somewhere and you can just restart. Crimson Tide... think that was almost as irritating as Black Vein Prophecy...

arnwn:
Well, can't pick one obvious favourite?

:D

senodam

First Post
From the look of things here, I'm not the only one who struggled with certain books- to this day I still can't finish Masks of Mayhem! As for favourites, have to go with Knights of Doom and Deathtrap Dungeon...along with a dozen more. :p

Remove ads