Fighting fantasy d20!

Hey there mate! :)

Eternalknight said:
I guess you'll be buying them then :D

If they use the same artwork, yes.

I lost my copy of Out of the Pit may years ago, and I only have the smaller (cramped) version of the Titan setting.

It would be nice if they updated both to include all relevant information and monsters up to book #59.

I agree with you that many of the later books were truly excellent. Return to Firetop Mountain and Legend of Zagor being the two I most regretted not buying (though I probably spent about an hour reading each of them in the store). :eek:

Hey there Carnifex mate! :)

Carnifex said:
:) I think rogues would be fine forn the circus clowns, with fighter levels for the tougher ones and the black-and-white guys. As for the slitheren, yeah, they'd be fine but I already have stats for a ratman race that I use IMC, the vermen, so I'd probably just use them. On the other hand, having different areas of the ratmen's trench and inverted city being controlled by different slitheren types :)

Indeed, the different 'flavours' of Slithereen would add a lot of interesting avenues to explore.

Carnifex

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Hey there Carnifex mate! :)

Indeed, the different 'flavours' of Slithereen would add a lot of interesting avenues to explore.

I think they'd need tweaking to get the right flavour for the place, since it's kinda steamtech/steampunk in many places (especially the ratman stronghold, with the automata and all).

Fortunately, I'm currently writing Steam & Steel: A Guide to Fantasy Steamworks for Horade, which covers that sorta stuff :)

Hey Carnifex mate! :)

Carnifex said:
I think they'd need tweaking to get the right flavour for the place, since it's kinda steamtech/steampunk in many places (especially the ratman stronghold, with the automata and all).

Fortunately, I'm currently writing Steam & Steel: A Guide to Fantasy Steamworks for Horade, which covers that sorta stuff :)

Cool :cool:

Tratyn Runewind

First Post
Hello,

Posted by mouseferatu:
Sigh... And here I was all fired up about going to SJ Games at GenCon, finding out who had the license for the Sorcery! series, and proposing a D20 campaign series based on it. I so wanted to work on that...

Well, you've saved yourself a bit of embarrassment, anyway. The Steve Jackson of Steve Jackson Games is a Texan. The Steve Jackson of the Sorcery series and other Fighting Fantasy books is from the United Kingdom (and is also one of the founders of Games Workshop).

Loved the Sorcery series (the only Fighting Fantasy books I've seen) myself; they made the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books, their closest competition at the time, seem utterly pathetic in comparison. I would probably pick up the d20 version if it had information enough to set a campaign in the world - I'd probably not bother, though, if it had little more than was necessary to run the modules.

kibbitz

First Post
Oh boy... now, if someone will only do the Blood Sword series. It even has a class system for a gamebook, so more fun stuff to play with :D

Eternalknight said:

Yep, many of the latter books were excellent. Return to Firetop Mountain and Legend of Zagor both followed on from The Warlock of Firetop Mountain... Trial of Champions and Armies of Death followed on from Deathtrap Dungeon, though weren't as good as the original. I'd have to say that Night Dragon (book 52) was my favourite of the later ones.

No kidding, IMHO, there were significantly more hits than misses, and I'd quote you some of my favourites if there only wasn't like over 15 of them :p The Night Dragon is wonderfully epic, with our protagonist going on an epic search for the standard sword, shield and armor of legend to slay a mighty beast (which is of course, the Night Dragon :p), but the only thing which kept me from pushing for it all the way was the art. Art was kinda yucky to me...

If I had to pick a favourite though, it'd probably be Appointment with F.E.A.R. ... sadly, i don't have a copy of that. If it's left to stuff that I own, well, probably Moonrunner, which you can read the review for at http://www.advancedfightingfantasy.com/ff48.htm

Eternalknight

First Post
Were there any books you guys struggled with to get through? For me, I could never get through The Crimson Tide, Siege of Sardath and Beneath Nightmare Castle.

Remove ads