First legal 3rd party AL material announced

The_Baldman

Explorer
Kinda wish you guys were back in the Marriott, but the Hyatt isn't that far of a walk.

--
Pauper

It is another block but it is also quieter and closer to more food options quickly (having a Subway right downstairs is pretty awesome - I get a breakfast flatbread each morning and really carries me through the day and helps me avoid the crappy and expensive convention center prices).

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Put me down as 'cautiously optimistic'; I think Steve_MND makes good points.

All of these adventures are being written specifically for this OP campaign. The authors and organizers are sending outlines to the admins, who edit/adjust them and then approve. The adventures are also sent to the admins who read/comment/approve or reject them. They are not separate, we just getting more people helping with putting out additional content

But are the admins going to be able to handle overseeing the additional content? i say this because the quality of editing in the existing modules has been criticized, and I'm sad to say that there still seems to be failings along these lines in Season 4: for example, DDAL 04-05 clearly had an encounter removed in playtesting, but a reference to that encounter in the subsequent encounter was not removed, nor were the monsters from that encounter removed from the Monster/NPC Statistics appendix. As another example, Aya Glenmiir, a recurring NPC from prior seasons, is referred to as both a female and a male in different portions of the text of DDAL 04-01.

I'm not the sort of consumer who appreciates bland food as long as it's served in huge portions -- I'd prefer less content, but for that content to be polished, professional content.

Also, the Moonsea adventure by BMG are actually to help firm up a cohesive story, which is why they are all trilogies and will often include special events that where the actions of the PCs affect the release of a later trilogy.

I think this definitely illustrates one of Steve_MND's concerns -- after all, we're playing the AL content (what used to be called Expeditions) because of the focus on the Moonsea. If the Moonsea adventures being handled by Baldman's authors are taking up that focus, then what is happening with the AL content being generated currently?

I'd actually be more confident in this if it were precisely the other way around -- if the AL admin-only adventures and other AL-produced content remained focused on the Moonsea, and the third-party content focused on other areas or aspects of D&D. I understand that, because the third parties don't have the same access to WotC that the admin staff does, they can't be as 'in the loop' to prepare for the next major product shift, but handing off the Moonsea adventures to other authors opens up the possibility of changes in tone and similar 'authorly' modifications that may not seem significant to editors, but get caught at the game table. Simply put, will the Baldman Moonsea modules feel like AL modules?

Also, with the main AL story possibly drifting off into a 'setting of the month' flavor (I don't think it's a coincidence that some very Ebberon-themed stuff got released in Unearthed Arcana recently), doesn't that work against the idea that an OP campaign is supposed to be portable? I mean, the factions are largely irrelevant in the current season, and that makes sense given the setting, but will they suddenly become relevant if half the Moonsea finds itself heading to Athas in a later season?

I think a big part of what made previous OP campaigns so successful is that they executed on their themes to the point where, while they might not have drawn in a large population of players, the players they did draw were motivated and committed to the concept. Their reward was not the volume of experience, but the depth of experience available. I fear that something intangible will be lost by promoting a 'mile wide and three inches deep' experience, where players have a plethora of passable content rather than a small amount of outstanding content.

That's just me, though, and maybe Steve_MND. It seems significant that it's the thoughtful players who seem concerned, rather than just relentlessly asking for 'moar content'.

--
Pauper

Pauper

My concern was more of how it was being organized and the sort of people they had running stuff. With a couple notable exceptions (shoutout to Jay Africa), almost all the judges I had were terrible (didn't know the rules, didn't know how the AL rules operated as far as XP, etc.), and Baldman's organizational skills, mustering, etc., were hit-and-miss at best.

I'll defend Baldman on this point -- if he's going to run a certain number of tables per 'time block', he needs a certain number of DMs to pull that off. Not every admin and RC is going to be available to run sessions (but major thanks to those who did), and so, to hit his numbers, Baldman has to put out a call for volunteers, and given that not everyone who ran a previous con comes back, there's going to be some number of 'new' DMs who have to be tapped, otherwise you simply can't seat all the players you want to.

Baldman does have policies in place to vet new DMs, too -- at GenCon 2015, many of the DMs in the 'intro' section running DDEX 3-1 were first-time volunteers, for example -- but no system like that is ever going to be perfect. Sometimes you get lucky, such as we did playing DDEX 3-1 with a gal (whose name I don't recall) who was a first-time volunteer DM, and sometimes you don't.

Expect table variation, I suppose. I could share some horror stories from over the years...

--
Pauper

Steve_MND

First Post
I'll defend Baldman on this point -- if he's going to run a certain number of tables per 'time block', he needs a certain number of DMs to pull that off. Not every admin and RC is going to be available to run sessions (but major thanks to those who did), and so, to hit his numbers, Baldman has to put out a call for volunteers, and given that not everyone who ran a previous con comes back, there's going to be some number of 'new' DMs who have to be tapped, otherwise you simply can't seat all the players you want to.

No, I understand that, and I knew someone would mention the volunteer angle. :) But in my mind, that doesn't play into it. As soon as you, as an organization, start charging people for the services you provide, the excuse of 'but it's volunteers' goes right out the window.* It's up to you, as the person whose name is on the business card (in this case, literally), to make sure you have the correct people you need doing the correct things you need done at the correct times, or else your reputation will suffer because of their mistakes. You can have the best of intentions, but without the acumen to follow through with it, intentions don't make up for it at the end of the day.

But as mentioned before, this was all hashed out last summer after GC was over, and i'm satisfied that Baldman realized their mistakes and will be doing their best to make sure that doesn't happen again this year, and we'll see how good their best can be come August. Until that respect is earned back however, I'm naturally going to be a bit gun-shy around them, and certainly with any new 'projects' they take on, such as this. Has Baldman and his company ever done writing work like this? Can they deal with the deadlines, can they get good authors, can they provide good content? Until I have something with their name on it showing that they have managed to do this properly in the past, I'll be understandably skeptical. Not discounting them out of hand, mind you, but definitely skeptical.

* I'm also looking at you, AL, and the horrible editing we've seen time and time again. You can't be putting that sort of mess out on DMsGuild for people to have to pay for now, and expect people to just 'go with it' on shoddy editing anymore.

smerwin29

Reluctant Time Traveler
To sum up:

Hey all, Baldman Games is going to be making AL-legal content. Our initial offerings will be released at Origins, and then more at Gen Con. We hope you'll give it a play, DM it, and then let us know what you think. We're working closely with the AL admin team and with WotC to make sure these offerings are compatible with their plans and their goals for AL. We'll release more details as Origins and Gen Con approach!

Thanks!

Pauper

But as mentioned before, this was all hashed out last summer after GC was over, and i'm satisfied that Baldman realized their mistakes and will be doing their best to make sure that doesn't happen again this year, and we'll see how good their best can be come August. Until that respect is earned back however, I'm naturally going to be a bit gun-shy around them, and certainly with any new 'projects' they take on, such as this.

That's reasonable, and I think even the Baldman would say so. I count myself as 'cautiously optimistic' because in my interactions with both the Baldman staff and the OP staff, I consistently get the feeling that their hearts are in the right place, even if they get sometimes get frustrated that they get blamed for a lot of stuff that they really can't control.

The thing I'm most afraid of, for the OP campaign, isn't that the Baldman guys won't know what's expected of them or won't have the skill to pull it off -- rather, it's that all the folks asking for 'moar content' don't really want what they're asking for. See "The JCPenney's Effect" for an explanation of how this can happen.

--
Pauper

Remove ads