Fishing for Interest - FR/Planescape game

silentspace

First Post
Congrats on graduating!

Paxus Asclepius, I'm going to get the Improved Familiar feat, if you want to be a former familiar of mine! I don't think it would work if you were my current familiar though, you'd be somewhat underpowered :) My current familiar will be an Imp, I think. (went from a good to an evil familiar!)

I'm thinking I'll be a Rock Gnome Mystic Theurge, Neutral, with the Shadow Weave Magic feat. Down the road he's looking to go into either Thaumaturgist or Shadow Adept (though that's a long way off, after finishing 10 levels of Mystic Theurge).

Unearthed Arcana wizard domains are simple... non-specialized wizards get to choose one domain, consisting of one spell/spell level. So they get one extra spell, but it is always the same spell. It's a way to make non-specialized wizards a more attractive option. I would take the Transmutation Domain, to help with my gnome's small size/speed issues. Spells are: 0-mage hand, 1-expeditious retreat, 2-levitate, 3-haste, 4-polymorph, 5-baleful polymorph, 6-disintegrate, 7-reverse gravity, 8-iron body, 9-shapechange.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
silentspace said:
Paxus Asclepius, I'm going to get the Improved Familiar feat, if you want to be a former familiar of mine! I don't think it would work if you were my current familiar though, you'd be somewhat underpowered My current familiar will be an Imp, I think. (went from a good to an evil familiar!)
Well, since Goddess Fallen Angel will accept Quillia (Isida's character) if I'm her familiar, I'm leaning strongly towards that. It'll also lend some nice interaction between the two familiars, in addition to giving me a handy power boost. And don't go calling me underpowered until you've seen what Great Flyby Attack and four sneak attack dice do together.

Isida, there's a feat in one of the very early Dragons that, if allowable, would make both of us very happy. I don't recall the name, but it extends the range of the Share Spells familiar quality from 5 feet to one mile. Extremely useful for buffs. Touch attacks are also quite handy.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Thanks Goddess FallenAngel!

Paxus, that sounds pretty good. The feat is is Dragon #280 and it is called Enspell Familiar and it works just as you said, any spell that affects the master affects the familiar out to one mile. I'll start modifiying Quillia, and I hope to have her in the Rogue's Gallery later today.

silentspace

First Post
Paxus Asclepius said:
Well, since Goddess Fallen Angel will accept Quillia (Isida's character) if I'm her familiar, I'm leaning strongly towards that. It'll also lend some nice interaction between the two familiars, in addition to giving me a handy power boost. And don't go calling me underpowered until you've seen what Great Flyby Attack and four sneak attack dice do together.

Isida, there's a feat in one of the very early Dragons that, if allowable, would make both of us very happy. I don't recall the name, but it extends the range of the Share Spells familiar quality from 5 feet to one mile. Extremely useful for buffs. Touch attacks are also quite handy.

I meant underpowered if you were just a familiar. So you're going to be a current familiar and have class levels too? Nice. I didn't know you had that option. I thought it was one or the other, that's all.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
silentspace said:
I meant underpowered if you were just a familiar. So you're going to be a current familiar and have class levels too? Nice. I didn't know you had that option. I thought it was one or the other, that's all.

Well, it wasn't said explicitly, but that's what I inferred. There is a certain amount of tradeoff; while both familiar and master get some handy boosts, they also stand to lose a very great deal if the other dies.

silentspace

First Post
Heh, you may have inferred that, but what was implied, or rather explicitly stated, was the 'liberated familiar' concept. Which is quite different from the 'currently a familiar' concept... :)

Goddess FallenAngel said:
I haven't a problem with thi at all. I've always enjoyed the 'liberated familiar' concept. :)

Anyway I like the idea, especially as a rogue. It seems to be a nice fit.

silentspace

First Post
We've got an awful lot of spellcasters... a mystic theurge, a wizard/planeshifter, and a straight wizard. Since my mystic theurge will have lower caster levels, maybe I'll focus on utility spells and leave the heavy blasting to the other two... Hmm...

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Although this looks like it will be a great game, I am bowing out.
I see that there are several folks on the alternatives list who really want to play, while I was just lucky enough to respond quickly.
I hope whoever gets my spot has fun, and I will be watching the game.

Remove ads