Fishing for Interest - FR/Planescape game

Ghostknight

First Post
Since Uriel is bowing out, does this mean I am in or are you going to go to your original five player format?

Heh, well if I am in I will make a human cleric of Shaundalkur. Party is high on arcane ability but seems low on divine magic. So a cleric of Shaundalkur with the Travel and Trade domains will wend its way to the RG thread in the next day or so (maybe sooner if the workload today stays light :))

silentspace

First Post
A cleric would be cool. If Keia sticks with an arcanist, we'll have three arcanists, a cleric, a rogue, and a halfling outrider.

When I first started building Pumbar, my halfling outrider, I envisioned a quick, darting lance charger using Unbroken Charge and Ride-By Attack to charge through allies. Or use Stand On Mount to fire sling bullets from a distance. The prototypical Halfling Outrider. Then I realized he'll be the only melee fighter, so I focused on the lance fighting and gave him Weapon Focus, Spirited Charge, a level in Cavalier and a large Dire Boar mount, Wigglenose!

Silly, huh? As the only melee fighter, he should really be a dwarf/human/half-orc Cavalier, not a Halfling Outrider. Or some other fighter-type focused on stand-and-deliver tactics rather than hit-and-run. But even though he's not optimized for the role, I like him! I already switched character concepts once to help out the party ;)

Last edited:

Ghostknight

First Post
silentspace said:
A cleric would be cool. If Keia sticks with an arcanist, we'll have three arcanists, a cleric, a rogue, and a halfling outrider.

When I first started building Pumbar, my halfling outrider, I envisioned a quick, darting lance charger using Unbroken Charge and Ride-By Attack to charge through allies. Or use Stand On Mount to fire sling bullets from a distance. The prototypical Halfling Outrider. Then I realized he'll be the only melee fighter, so I focused on the lance fighting and gave him Weapon Focus, Spirited Charge, a level in Cavalier and a large Dire Boar mount, Wigglenose!

Silly, huh? As the only melee fighter, he should really be a dwarf/human/half-orc Cavalier, not a Halfling Outrider. Or some other fighter-type focused on stand-and-deliver tactics rather than hit-and-run. But even though he's not optimized for the role, I like him! I already switched character concepts once to help out the party ;)

Sounds cool, I generally prefer good characters to optimised ones and this sounds like a good concept but it should still work.

I am thinking two options - the pure cleric of Shaundalkur or a Cleric/Thaumaturge. Basically uses the summoning for companions on the road and scouting for him etc. He will even be able to start as an eighth level cleric/fifth level Thaumaturge and thus have a planar cohort (although what would be an appropriate cohort for a CN cleric worshipping a deity of travel is debatable. No outsiders (excluding a chaos beast which is hardly suited to be a cohort) are CN, so it would need to be one of those that is "usually neutral" meaning they do vary and thus a CN individual may exist. Most likely candidates are an Invisible Stalker, Mephit (Stalker advanced to 11HD, Mephit to 8HD so they are ECL 11 for purposes of being his consort - both well within the ranges for the creatures) or Janni (Question mark as these are generally native outsiders rather than pure outsiders) . I'll just have to wait for a DM ruling on what is/isn't allowed.

Assuming I'm in of course :)

Last edited:

silentspace said:
I meant underpowered if you were just a familiar. So you're going to be a current familiar and have class levels too? Nice. I didn't know you had that option. I thought it was one or the other, that's all.
I will allow her to have class levels because she is a PC, not an NPC (even if she is another PC's familiar). She will also get XP for encounters she participates in, like a PC. The challenges of roleplaying a familiar to another PC are enough of a limiting factor - for instance, when dividing up loot, ;) the other PCs should be treating her as a familiar, thus no share, etc. At least, this is my experience in the past, and I would highly remind everyone to treat her as any other familiar.

Paxus Asclepius said:
Well, it wasn't said explicitly, but that's what I inferred. There is a certain amount of tradeoff; while both familiar and master get some handy boosts, they also stand to lose a very great deal if the other dies.
That is correct. :)

Uriel said:
Although this looks like it will be a great game, I am bowing out.
I see that there are several folks on the alternatives list who really want to play, while I was just lucky enough to respond quickly.
I hope whoever gets my spot has fun, and I will be watching the game.
I'm sorry to hear that, Uriel, especially with Endur's game over. I hope you enjoy yourself! :) *I will update the "in" list shortly*

Ghostknight said:
Sounds cool, I generally prefer good characters to optimised ones and this sounds like a good concept but it should still work.

I am thinking two options - the pure cleric of Shaundalkur or a Cleric/Thaumaturge. Basically uses the summoning for companions on the road and scouting for him etc. He will even be able to start as an eighth level cleric/fifth level Thaumaturge and thus have a planar cohort (although what would be an appropriate cohort for a CN cleric worshipping a deity of travel is debatable. No outsiders (excluding a chaos beast which is hardly suited to be a cohort) are CN, so it would need to be one of those that is "usually neutral" meaning they do vary and thus a CN individual may exist. Most likely candidates are an Invisible Stalker, Mephit (Stalker advanced to 11HD, Mephit to 8HD so they are ECL 11 for purposes of being his consort - both well within the ranges for the creatures) or Janni (Question mark as these are generally native outsiders rather than pure outsiders) . I'll just have to wait for a DM ruling on what is/isn't allowed.

Assuming I'm in of course :)
Yes, you are in. :) A familiar, although a PC, is not enough of an issue for me to really count as a 'character' for DMing purposes... *sorry, Paxus* :)

As for the cohort - I will allow just about anything within reason, as long as you have a reason for the cohort's AL to be something other than 'standard'. (I.E., put it in your character history.) Also, as far as the 'outsider' type goes, in my game any creature born on another plane is an outsider. (Native Outsiders are also outsiders). When a native Faerunian goes to, say, the Astral, they are an outsider.

So, you could even have a 'normal' cohort that is a native of another plane.

silentspace

First Post
I'm using Complete Warrior. I haven't really looked at Sword & Fist. Are the classes much different?

Hey, how did your move go?

Ghostknight - I'd love to see you play a Thaumaturgist! I was thinking about going that route with my original halfling Mystic Theurge :)

silentspace

First Post
Hmm, Sword & Fist seems a bit odd...

Why would you need Deflect Attack if you already have Mounted Combat, which is better?

Defensive Ride got a lot better too.

All in all, the Sword & Fist class looks remarkably useless! ;) It might make a good NPC class though, sort of like a Pony Express type character, though as a PC class its pretty silly. The Complete Warrior Version is a vast improvement! :D

silentspace

First Post
The Sword & Fist Cavalier looks a lot better than the Complete Warrior one though! Mounted Weapon bonus gets huge, and Tall in the Saddle really juices up Mounted Combat.

silentspace said:
I'm using Complete Warrior. I haven't really looked at Sword & Fist. Are the classes much different?

Hey, how did your move go?

Ghostknight - I'd love to see you play a Thaumaturgist! I was thinking about going that route with my original halfling Mystic Theurge :)
The classes are different (as I see you noticed), I wanted to know which one you were using for reference.

My move went remarkably smoothly after a few intial setbacks. Of course, I still have much sorting and arranging to do, but I thought I would try to check in. :)

Remove ads