• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

For the Greater Good - Full

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Absoulte Zero - there's some disagreement about the ECL for those two templates, so I'm just saying that I'm going to use them as having a +4 ECL.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
The Challenge Rating is only a +1, the Effective Character Level is a +4. If the template is used on a monster or NPC that is swiftly killed or dealt with all the special abilities are blown through fairly quickly. But the immunities, spell-like abilities, possible wings, and other goodies are used by a PC over and over again. Thus they get more use out of them. So the ECL, which is used by PCs is worth far more than the CR, which is applied to monsters.

Absolute Zero

First Post
I suppose, but if ya look into it half-celestial is, as you mentioned, a +4 ECl but a plus +1 CR, but a half-dragon is a +3 ECL and a +2CR if you look at them in 3.5, in which these templates havent changed much

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
There's been a half-dragon in my gaming group and we all decided, after four months of playing, that he should have been a +4 ECL. Experience is my teacher. The DM rules the half-dragon to be a +4 ECL. :) Besides, you're getting some free hit points. :D

Absolute Zero

First Post
oh, right extra HD, forgot about that. I guess it all sounds reasonable. I'll make a character and have it up soon, although i still havent decided on half-celestial or half-dragon yet.

Velenne

Explorer
In that case, I think I'll hold off on committing to a character type until I get the BoED. I'll call my FLGS and find out when they're gonna get it.

Remove ads