Frank Mentzer's Worlds of Empyrea Kickstarter to be Rebooted!

The Kickstarter for Frank Mentzer's Worlds of Empyrea was ambitious, and sadly it didn't seem to gain the traction it needed to raise the $250K it was asking for. Indeed, Kicktraq is currently predicting it won't make its funding goal; so far it has raised just over a fifth of its target. However, all is not lost - because it's being rebooted! (thanks to Terradave for the scoop).

The Kickstarter for Frank Mentzer's Worlds of Empyrea was ambitious, and sadly it didn't seem to gain the traction it needed to raise the $250K it was asking for. Indeed, Kicktraq is currently predicting it won't make its funding goal; so far it has raised just over a fifth of its target. However, all is not lost - because it's being rebooted! (thanks to Terradave for the scoop).

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 18.06.43.png

The reboot, which will take place on Monday, October 16th, will have a much lower funding goal, quicker delivery time, and expanded PDF offerings. Frank posted the following update:

Greetings all.

We're rebooting the Empyrea Kickstarter.

In my first-ever KS I made several miscalculations, so we're fixing them. The Team have discussed options and we're all set. Here are the highlights:
  • Realistic (lower) goal, carefully analyzed for maximum quality and cost-efficiency (alernate printing sources, etc.)
  • Realistic delivery time (next Fall, not Summer)
  • Expanded Living Campaign online at all levels (not just Nobles)
  • Expanded PDF benefits and options for all
Sorry about that, but now we know how to do this right. Thanks again for your support.

So here are some details from the Team.

—Frank

This was followed by an update from Mike Myler, who is handing the social media aspect of the campaign.

Hello everybody! It’s Mike!

In the rush of his lifelong campaign setting being fully realized and shared with the world, Frank’s zeal to make Empyrea have a massive print run with a huge impact got the better of him and bowled me right over. Rightly so—I’ve gotten to sit in on his weekly game, I’ve read the internal documents for it, and it’s a really fantastic place ripe for adventure especially with the huge scope involved. In addition to that a lot of amazing people from the industry came out of the woods to get on board with the project as soon as they got wind of it and did so right up to the night before launch. In the mix of Empyrea being finalized and a widening roster of contributors, the full breadth of Frank’s vision was shadowed by the needs of firming up work agreements and other business concerns.

This last week we’ve worked hard to refine the focus on things and make sure everyone clearly understands the expansive, involved, and frankly ground-breaking gaming phenomenon that Frank has laid out here. It is still a complicated affair—a box set fantasy setting with multiple books and compatibility with 10 RPGs, a medieval campaign world that’s approachable but still filled with fantastic underpinnings he’s spent 40 years refining, all done by an epic team from the industry’s history, an expansive online campaign simultaneously played by citizens and nobles from across the globe—but we’re hoping that it’s clearly presented now and that we can exceed our revised, smaller print run goal to realize Frank’s larger dream.

So, October 16th is the date.
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Note added to the Reboot Improvements document and although that makes good sense, Frank is set on what he wants people to pull out of their box sets and he's been a hard sell on that angle (which I did see and ask about last week when the team met to discuss the reboot). Solid suggestion though so I'll bring it up again today. :)

Well, for the actual Kickstarter backers, I could see the box sets coming with the appropriate system book, as a "special limited-edition version" for the backers, and then people buying off the shelf getting a system-less box and a system book separately, probably adding up to a bit more in cost than the complete box set would have cost.

Or another possibility is if the actual boxes are not marked in any way as being for a specific system and have the printers not assemble and shrink wrap the boxes for you. Then you can add in the appropriate system book and shrink wrap it at your offices. That way you will still not be stuck with an overstock of the less desired system box sets.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
The 3 little brown books still needs to be firmed up...as to what will be in them. To just include them cause the original had them but not sure what is going to be in them is kinda hard to swallow an end up backing. There has to be more than an idea of just including just because by now.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
And, its been delayed again:

............................................................................................................
Posted by Frank Mentzer (Creator)
Greetings! This is Frank.
We're seriously discussing ALL your great input, and thanks again.
I've decided to delay a relaunch (groan) until we’ve had more time to work. It's a tough call but we can't afford to rush. We've closed the Preview of the build area, mostly because that's now under reconstruction. Meanwhile, the current Kickstarter will remain open for general reference, and of course you also have WorldsofEmpyrea dotcom.
Everyone at Loxley is excited about campaign information that's been shared 'in-house' (but isn't quite ready for the website yet). By November we’ll release the campaign mechanics in basic form, including 3 setting-based stats for your character. We'll need your input and fine-tuning after that, of course. This is a living, breathing, ongoing joint project for all of us.
.............................................................................................................

Campaign mechanics? 3 setting based stats!?

They probably should preview more stuff.

havard

Adventurer
I saw. I think this is a good move. I am really looking forward to Empyrea, but I can wait until they get it right :)

-Havard

Schmoe

Adventurer
I think delaying it is a great decision. This has all the hallmarks of someone who is so excited they just want to tackle it all, right now!! But a second failure would be disastrous after the first, and it's better for cooler heads to prevail to bring some planning and forethought into the process. I'm encouraged to see that the reboot has been delayed - I actually think it's a good sign.

To be honest, requiring NDAs on a project that has already gone to the Kickstarter point comes across as either wanting to play up some nonexistent mysteriousness for marketing purposes or grossly overestimating the value of the project.

This has all the hallmarks of someone who is so excited they just want to tackle it all, right now!!

It seems that way to me, too, especially with all the talk of how complex the project is. We still don't even know much about the setting itself, which should be relatively easy to explain.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I’ll peruse it at gencon in 3 years when the final book is published; I’ve been burned and so I’ll wait for a promised final. Product ;-)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads