Freelancer: The High Seas OOC

Corlon

First Post
New campaign I'm thinking about running.

There are couple islands, big and small, and that's pretty much all the land in the world, so people ride around in boats.

I'm trying this in a PnP game too but it can go in any direction, so the campaigns will probably spread apart.

This is a low magic campaign, and all the characters start at 5th level. I'm allowing pretty much any book in existence, so just okay certain things out of 3 core books and seafarer's handbook. No boats are allowed to be bought with starting gold. If you want to save the money and buy a boat later, that's fine, I actually hope one of you buy an awsome boat, but but just buy items and stuff with the starting gold.

If you want to be a magic users, there are some drawbacks because of the low magic, so tell me if you want to be a magic user.

I'll probably have 4-6 people, any takers?

Edit: don't make your characters evil or not caring, they can be harsh buisness men if you want to ship cargo and stuff, but I don't want evil.

I'm pretty sure there will be a good deal of fighting, so don't make it a complete diplomat guy ;) (I haven't seen one of these on enworld yet, but just a warning)

Last edited:

Jalon Odessa

First Post
I'd be interested in playing, particularly in playing a wizard. If you could get back to me with the details involved in playing a magic user, I'll get back to you with a character ASAP.

I'm assuming starting gold as per the PHB, but how would you like ability scores to be generated (point buy, etc...)?

I'll be watching this thread closely - sounds like a great concept for a PbP. :)

Corlon

First Post
pbp is great for this, ship rules can get confusing, and I have a lot of time to look em up :D

uh...36 point buy

Starting gold = 9,000gp

There are four groups:
Wizard's guild (initiation fees, under control of the guild, under resctrictions set by the guild)
Battle Mages guild (from a random book I found at foundations edge, it's actually pretty cool. Only bad thing is that almost all non kaboom kaboom death spells have to be given up to get really really cool kaboom kaboom death spells)
Outsider wizards (outside of the guild, scorned by the guild and will never recieve help from it, and some other drawbacks.)
Sorcerers (hunted down by wizards who then use a ritual to take your powers, ruining all your spellcasting because raw magic is a dangerous and uncontrolable force. If you join the battle mage's guild, the wizard's guild still doesn't like you, but they won't raise a finger against you)

Which groups sound nice to you, I can elaborate more on the drawbacks.

Jalon Odessa

First Post
I'd like to play a outsider transmuter then, preferably gnomish (assuming that they exist in your world).

I'm heading off to university in a few minutes, but I should be able to post a character background and description in my break between classes in a couple of hours.

[Edit: decided that an outsider gnome would suit my character concept more than a dwarven guild wizard.)

Last edited:

GWolf

First Post
Ron Denmark, Expert Sciencetist, adventurer, and Aviator is about to join this Adventure with 3 missions, 1) Build Aircraft 2)Get Rich 3)Build or make bigger and better guns. Character to come tonight (maybe)

Corlon

First Post
you will truly be an outsider then, because gnomes do exist, but they have a secret city in a place no ones knows about, and they occasionally show up in big cities to trade.

So, outsider gnome outside of the gnomes?

Wilphe

Adventurer
Hello,
I haven't played D&D before but I have about a dozen of the books (not the Seafarer's handbook though) and would actually like to put them to some use at some point. Currently I play in about half a dozen other Forum games under another system and GM one of my own.

I'd be interested in playing an Elven Rogue/Fighter.

themaxx

First Post
I'd like a spot

I don't know the seafaring rules or have the book, but I have quite a variety of other books, some of which I'm quite interested in doing. I think I'd like to play a fixer type sailor, one who gets things done, often does the dirty work, and doesn't get seen.

With GM approval, I'd like to experiment with an interesting race, possibly from Savage Species or another book. Are drow appropriate? Any specific non-standard races that would fit in well with your campaign ideas? I'm open to suggestions, probably going along a rogue path of some sort.

Corlon

First Post
as long as you pretty much know the rules wilphe, I'd be glad to help you play, if you have AOL instant messanger or email you can ask me about certain rules and stuff.

Drow...I don't think they'd be appropriate, I don't think you'll be fighting them, but being them wouldn't really work. I don't really want anyone to be a freak, half ogres from savage species are fine, but I don't want any really weird monsters. You can ask me about some, but you're always safe with being a PHB race.

At the beginning of the first adventure, you're working as mercenaries, for whatever reason.

I'll put up a character thread in the rogue's gallery.

to some up what characters get:
5 levels
9,000gp (no boats, magical items are X2 cost, except for healing potions)
Average hp (max at first level, for average after that, divide hit die by 2 and add .5 [d6 is 3.5, d12 is 6.5, etc.])
36 point buy
Proffession (sailor) (lets you do everything with a boat including command it) as a class skill (unless for some reason your character is never on a boat*)
Profession (siege engineer) (lets you do stuff with siege weapons) as a class skill (unless for some reason your character is never on a boat*)
Craft (boatmaking) (lets you repair boats, repair sails, make boats, etc.) as a class skill (unless for some reason your character is never on a boat*)
Swim as a class skill (unless for some reason you character stays away from water for some strange reason*)

*If you don't want these skills, ask me about a storyline and such you can switch these skills for other skills.

Basics on islands:
Kazad Enkilu: Island of mainly dwarves. Main exports are various metals and minerals. Big mining industry, not many crops or food producers.
Shire (how original): Island of mainly halflings. Main exports are various foods and drinks. Big farming industry, not many war machines or weapons or metal.
Kando: Island of mainly Humans. Exports many finished items, very little raw materials or farming. Big textile and blacksmith industry.

These are basics, I haven't posted the violent islands or the elven island and such, but I'll keep updating either on this post or other posts.

Did I forget anything?

themaxx

First Post
Character sketch

Ok, I don't mind sticking to the basics. Just wanted to ask. I'll poke around my books some more when I get in tonight, maybe ask you some private questions.

Assuming I go with vanilla PHB stuff, how's this sound:
dexterous, smart elf or half-elf (raised on or near the sea).
worked on ships all his life, but doesn't always stay in one place for too long (cause he gets in trouble).
has found a line of work finally that appreciates his subtle skills of espionage, theft, poisoning, and blackmail, as well as some smuggling.
doesn't get fame or prestige, but definitely has an eye on the loot, and takes some for himself whenever possible.
quote: "I'll do what needs to be done."

I'll flesh this out more tonight, and I'd love comments. I'm very amenable to changing things to fit the campaign, or other players.

Remove ads