[FULL] OOC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux [FULL]

Dichotomy

Explorer
michael_noah said:
Alright. I know I gave kurt my stuff.

WES!
Now, now. No need to be jumping to conclusions. As I noted before:
Dichotomy said:
Can all of you make sure to complete your character sheets and share them with me? Send me an email or post here once the sheet is actually finalized. I don't plan on moving ahead until I know all your "crunchy stuff" is done.
To the best of my knowledge, none of you have done that yet...

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=Shea]I've been reading the email and IMs we've exchanged. I've got some thoughts to run by you. My intention is not to force anything on you, but rather to see if these ideas will work.

So, it is very likely that you've spent at least some time at the church of St. Cuthbert in town. Here's a bit more stuff that you'd have learned about the place:[sblock]Each of the establishments along the Vein's central square trade in the exploitation of human vice or false hope, and the tower-flanked Church of St. Cuthbert is certainly no exception. Within this austere stucco structure, the poorest of Diamond Lake's poor huddle in a torch-lit sanctuary listening to the fiery sermons of Jierian Wierus, a bombastic orator whose populist rants appeal to the best virtues and values of the common man while at the same time preying upon their fears and superstitions. Wierus endlessly preaches a creed of common sense, honesty, and self-sacrifice, encouraging his faithful to give penance to St. Cuthbert by whipping themselves in repetitive acts of self-mortification. His growing cult, now some 150 strong, gives succor to the dregs of Diamond Lake society and is seen as a menace by the town's mine managers, government, and other religious figures. Many claim that the flagellants seem to follow Wierus as much as they do St. Cuthbert, and it is only because the charismatic firebrand somehow keeps his followers from breaking the law that his sect has been allowed to thrive.[/sblock]While I'm not an expert on Alexis, I have a guess that she really wouldn't like this scene much. First, while it is certainly a church of St. Cuthbert, the practices probably seem out of wack, both with what Alexis had falsely-learned from Edrick, but also with what she has learned since. So, I'd guess that while she may have tried working there (or just hung out learning or whatnot), she has decided that it (along with mining and probably whoring) is another thing on her list of jobs that she doesn't want.

How do you think you'd respond to a human of middling height, shock white hair, silver eyes, and pale complexion that started talking to you in the square basically in an attempt to sweet talk you out of some coin?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=MNW]Boldak has caught word of the adventuring trio that recently came to town. The leader of the group is Auric and was apparently a champion at the area in the Free City. With him is Tirra (an attractive female elf whom you've seen best every challenger in the dagger tossing contest at the Feral Dog) and Khellek (an older human that frankly looks like a mage and has been seen spending time in Lazere's House.

Townsfolk have been speculating on why they are here. They've been asking questions about the Stirgenest Cairn, one of the many ancient burial sites that are scattered about the Cairn Hills where Diamond Lake is located. Everyone in town, though, knows that there is nothing there of interest. The town’s youth constantly explore the ancient site, and have always found it completely empty of marvel and harmless to say the least.

But that isn’t the only site at which the youth of the town have played. It wasn’t common knowledge, but those children who had recently grown up in Diamond Lake knew of another cairn outside of the town. The cairn is near an old iron mine that went dry about fifty years ago, and was abandoned a few years later when the manager mysteriously died. About a decade ago, several children found the nearby cairn while camping out by the mine. Since then, the town’s youth have dared each other to venture into the cyclopean entrance to prove their bravery. Most found the place too scary, for when the wind was just right, haunting and almost magical tones would emanate from the depths of the forgotten tomb. Those who have been to the tomb have called it the Whispering Cairn.

Visits to the Whispering Cairn became less frequent about six years ago when a girl mysteriously vanished while sleeping in the cairn. Now children still dare to go to the entrance of the tomb, but none enter. The secrets of the cairn have since remained undiscovered.

It stands to reason that if famed adventurers from the Free City have bothered to come to the inconsequential town of Diamond Lake, they must be in search of some hidden treasure. Right now they’re asking about the wrong place, but it would only be a matter of time before they learn of the Whispering Cairn.[/sblock]

michael_noah

First Post
[sblock=dichotomy]After witnessing the newcomer win yet another throwing contest, Boldak finished his ale with thoughts about possible adventure. Whatever happened to that girl that disappeared in the Whispering Cairn anyway. All the other children seem to believe there's something extravegant down there, but it seems just as likely that she fell and broke her neck.

On the other hand, adventurers might find more than what years of exploring could. My own stay in the mine didn't include any experience more than 20 feet inside the entrance, though I'd never admit that to the boys too afraid to enter themselves...

In any case, I'd wage that they have more exciting news than the regular crowd here.

Boldak waited for the congratulations to fade, and for the young elf to return to her table before approaching the adventurers.

Puffing himself up, he gruffly started, "Hello there. That's a fine wrist you have. I wondered if you all might be interested in some information about the cairns about town. All I'd ask in return is some news from somewhere apart from this hellhole."[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
IC thread is up.

I still have a few things to work out, so don't start posting there until I give you each the go-ahead (it will be sooner for some of you than for others).

As a note, some OOC information will necessary need to happen in the IC thread. Please keep OOC info in spoiler blocks. Extensive OOC info should be posted in this thread. Don't worry too much. You'll get the hang of it.

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=Shea & Roach]If you guys can quickly get me up to speed on where you are, we can shortly get this moved into the IC thread. After talking with you all and thinking it over, I'm not worried that I need to get you all together before we take off. There are already some interesting things that might happen for you all before you all meet.[/sblock]
[sblock=MNW]We are gonna move right to the IC thread. If you feel like it, repost there what you posted here. Keep the spoiler block, of course. I'll have a response for you soon. Just want to see where the others are.[/sblock]
[sblock=Wes]I'll have something in the IC thread for you shortly (which means probably tonight, but maybe not until tomorrow). I need to make sure the others are sorted out.[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=Wes]You can head on over to the IC thread. I've got a spoiler-blocked start for you. Make sure to reply in spoiler-blocks.[/sblock]

Remove ads