D&D 5E Full preview unlocked!

MoutonRustique

Explorer
Couldn't care less about the "guns and bombs" - not how I'd implement them, and not how I see them, and not going to use them in any case, so - meh.

The big ones I wanted in there are in there - now to see if the implementation is good/too my tastes.

My "list" : game pacing, campaign construction, encounter construction, adventure construction, game elements (spells, items, monsters) construction, NPC construction/usage, monster construction, downtime rules.

I'm not seeing "game pacing" as an explicit entry, but it is possible to fit it in a few of those stated.

On the whole, this makes me very happy indeed. :lol:

CubeB

Explorer
I'm a little bit sad that there are apparently no Warforged, though the fact that Keith Baker posted a Homebrew is enough for me for now.

However, everything else looks amazing! You can even do an urban arcana hack now!

Paraxis

Explorer
I'm a little bit sad that there are apparently no Warforged, though the fact that Keith Baker posted a Homebrew is enough for me for now.

However, everything else looks amazing! You can even do an urban arcana hack now!

Could still be there, Chapter 1: Flavors of fantasy, seems like a perfect place to show warforged off as an example, sure it could fit into a few places.

I do remember them mentioning specifically that both kender and warforged would be in there, but that doesn't mean they need to be in a here is some extra races section.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Looks excellent. I'm particularly looking forward to the (i) intro about DMing, (ii) Tables Rules, (iii) combat options (iv) resting options, (v) random treasure! (vi) building/tweaking monsters.

Now my only problem is the wait till Dec!!

Agamon

Adventurer
Hmmm. I thought this DMG wasn't going to have much on how to run a game. The ToC is a little underwhelming. Not disappointing. Just sort of a, "Oh...huh...okay then."

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
I like what I see, except firearms don't seem to in any way help punch through armor. Thus if you are running a game with 19th century tech, people will still be running around with plate mail and shields instead of dusters and cowboy hats... Likewise your Three Musketeers campaign will also be much more heavily armored than ought to be in-genre.

I'd probably impose a Max AC from Armor or Natural Armor against certain firearms but reduce the damage by a step. This would make dodge-based AC bonuses more valuable, and less people would wear heavy armor. Likewise, while firearms are deadly, so is a 3-foot piece of steel being driven in one side and out the other, so there isn't a reason to go too crazy on the damage they do.

I also liked an idea I saw in Amazing Adventures, a Castles & Crusades derived pulp system where "AC" was based on in-genre clothing you wore rather than true armor. So wearing a leather duster and cowboy hat in a wild west game conferred better "protection" than wearing a conquistador outfit.

Remove ads