• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Full - Waiting for complete characters] Loex’edar: The Dragon War

zantriel

First Post
I would like to play a Faerie Dragon Sorcerer/Effigy Master from the Complete Arcane.

The background idea:
Young Lightfoot, saddened by the death of his friends from the forest he grew up in, decided to create new friends of his own. Already a Sorcerer of some ability, he tracked down the lost art of Effigy creation. Once mastered, he then created replacements for those who died.

Just a rough background idea and I still also need to work out other details, like how much xp we have so I can workout the cost for his creations and the like.
Let me know if you guys like this idea.

Jemal

Adventurer
Character sheet under construction - Needs a little tweaking, otherwise finished.

Darelzmyr Cierellyx, "The Grea C(In training)"
Young Male Silver Dragon 15 HD
(Age Category 3)
Alignment: LG

XP: 153,000 / 171,000

Speed: 40’ walk, fly 150' (Good)

HD: 15d12+150
HP: 260

Init:+3 [+3 Dex]

STR 30 (+10) [14 base (6 pts) +2 HD +2 Inherent +6 racial +6 enhancement]
DEX 16 (+3) [10 base (2 pts) +6 enhancement]
CON 30 (+10) [16 base (10 pts) +1 HD + 3 Inherent +4 racial +6 enhancement]
INT 20 (+5) [10 base (2 pts) +6 racial +4 enhancement]
WIS 26 (+8) [14 base (6 pts) +6 racial +6 enhancement]
CHA 22 (+6) [10 base (2 pts) +6 racial +6 enhancement]

AC: 40 [10 base +17 natural +1 natural Enhance +3 Dex +2 deflection +7 armor]

Saves:
Fort +23 [9 base +10 Con +4 resistance]
Ref +16 [9 base +3 Dex +4 resistance]
Will +21 [9 base +8 Wis +4 resistance]

Languages Known:
~ Common
~ Draconic
~ 3 others (Ideas?)

Combat:
Base Attack: +15
Grapple: +25 [+15 base +10 Str]

Bite: +30 [+15 base +10 Str +5 enhancement]
Critical: 20/x2
Damage: 1d8+20

Claws (x2): +25 [+10 base + 10 Str]
Damage: 1d6+5

*Wings (x2): +20 [+10 base +10 Str]
Damage: 1d4+5
*Can't use while flying*

Skills: 162 skill points
Skill Name (Total/Ranks)
Spot (+30/18), Listen (+30/18), Sense Motive (+30/18), Spellcraft (+24/18),
Knowledges: Arcana (+24/18), Religion (+/),

Feats: 6
Draconic Knowledge(1d20+9), Ability Focus (B.Weapon), Recover Breath, Maximize Breath, Hover, Flyby Attack

Racial Abilities:
~ Type: Dragon (Cold)
~ Movement: Land 40’, Fly 150ft (poor)
~ Natural Armor +17
~ Ability adjustments: +6 Str, +4 Con, +6 Int, +6 Wis, +6 Cha
~ Darkvision 120 ft
~ Low-light vision
~ Blindsense (Ex): 60 ft
~ Keen Senses (Ex): Sees x4 as well than humans in shadowy illumination and x2 as well in normal light.
~ Immunity to magic sleep effects (Ex)
~ Immunity to paralysis (Ex)
~ Immunity to Acid/Cold (Ex)
~ Breath Weapon (Su): [see below]
~ Skill points 6+Int per HD

Breath Weapon:
~ DC: 10 + 7(1/2 racial HD) + 10(Con mod) +2(Ability Focus) = DC 29
~ Useable once every 1d4-1 rounds (Or 1d4+2 if Maximized)
~ Cone of Cold: 30 ft cone, 6d8 damage, Reflex save
~ Cone of Paralyzing Gas: 30 ft cone, Fort save [failed save = Paralyzed for 1d6+3 ronds]

Hoard:
~ +2 Book of Strength [55,000 gp]
~ +3 Book of Constitution [82,500 gp]
~ +5 Jaws [50,000]
~ Circlet of Intelligence +4 [16,000 GP]
~ Ring of Protection + 2 [8,000 GP]
~ Gloves of Dexterity + 6 [36,000 gp]
~ Bracelets of Armor +7 [49,000 gp]
~ Belt of Strength + 6 [36,000 gp]
~ Frill cap of Resistance +4 [16,000 gp]
~ Pectoral of Maneuverability/Constitution + 6 [54,000 gp]
~ * Amulet of the C (Wisdom + 6, Spot +4, Listen +4, Sense Motive+4, Nat. Arm. enhance +1) [46,200, GP]

GP: 1,300

Background:
The C is a Great, Wise Silver Dragon who gained his nickname for several reasons.. His Initial (C), his scale colour (Resembling the calm beautiful Sea's near his lair), and his uncanny ability to 'See' things. (A major Diviner/very perceptive). The Great C has always been the leader of the Silver Dragons, his power, age, wisdom, and foresight guiding them through any troubles until his heir was old enough to assume the position... At least that's how it WAS. Now, the so-called 'great C' is nothing more than a child. His father, the last Patriarch, died in the war while he was just young. Several older Silvers tried to fill in for him, but most of them Died. Now the clan has been decimated, just like the rest of the metallics, and Darelzmyr of the Cierellyx line of Silver Dragon Seers is left to learn his way and find out for himself how to access the powers of the Sea.

Personality:
Darelzmyr (or Dar as he is sometimes called) has a lot to live up to, and is still young and brash, despite his genetic tendencies. His moods seem to swing rapidly from wise and thoughtful to brash and reckless. He is still learning to controll his emotions, and has a very strong hatred for the Chromatics, especially the enormous Red who slew his father.

Last edited:

When you add two abilities together in a magic item (for example, a Cloak of Charisma +6 and Resistance +5) you take the most expensive cost of the two and add half again as much, correct?

Example: 36,000 (Cha) + 25,000 (Resistance) + (36,000/2=18,000) gp

(trying to finalize magic items on my character)

Shayuri

First Post
As I understand it, the market price of an item with multiple abilities (aside from things like scrolls and staves which have separate rules) is calculated thusly.

Take the most spency power, and leave it alone.

Add 50% of the computed cost to each additional power.

Total the results.

That's the market price.

So a Cloak of Resistant Charismatic Magic Detection would be:

+6 enhancement to Cha - 36k
+5 Resistance to all saves - 25k (+50%)
Detect Magic at will - 1k (+50%)

Body slot mods are added on, when relevant...so that Detect Magic would actually be +100%, 50 for body slot and 50 for an additional power.

Seem right?

Wrahn

First Post
I believe the official way to do it is to take the most costly effect (ie the +6 Charisma) and then add 1.5 time the cost of the lesser effects. So for +6 Charisma and +5 Resistance cloak would cost 73,500. (36,000 + (25,000 + 12,500) )

At least that is the way I have seen it done most often, the rules seem mostly contradictory on the matter.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
General question, then. What is the "Multiple Different Abilities" line on the Table: 7-33 (DMG p. 285) for? The example given is the Helm of Brilliance.

According to that, it says to multiply the higher item cost by 2.

If this rule applies, could the price be:

Example: 36,000*2 (Cha) + 25,000 (Resistance) = 97,000 gp?

On a side note ... what do you do with an item that has three different abilities. All abilities are normal cost except the highest which is double?

Anyway, I'm not saying I'm right, just offering up a possibility.

Okay... after reviewing the DMG once again, I found this:

Pg 282, Multiple Different Abilities in the "Behind the Curtain: Magic Item Gold Piece Values" has the following to say:

For items that do take up a space on a character's body (such as a ring or a necklace), each additional power not only has no discount but instead has a 50% increase in price. A belt of Strength +4 and Dexterity +4 is more valuable than a belt of Strength worn with gauntlets of Dexterity, since it takes up only one space on a character's body.

So, my item would cost:
36,000+25,000=61,000
61,000 / 2 = 30,500
61,000+30,500 = 91,500

However, pg 288 of the DMG, "Adding New Abilities" says:

If the item is one that occupies a specific place on a character's body, the cost of adding any additional ability to that item increases by 50%. For example, if a character adds the power to confer invisibility to her ring of protection +2, the cost of adding this ability is the same as for creating a ring of invisibility multiplied by 1.5.

When creating custom items at character creation, this seems more prone to abuse - a player could say the most expensive item is the one that was the first ability, and thus pay 1.5 times the amount for the cheaper item.

So, my item would either cost:
36,000+25,000=61,000
25,000 / 2 = 12,500
61,000+12,500 = 73,500

Or:
36,000+25,000=61,000
36,000 / 2 = 18,000
61,000+18,000 = 79,000

Depending on which rule you follow, you could continue the formula for each new ability (i.e., have an item with 3 abilities, or 4, or 5, etc)

DM ruling?.... Which would you prefer? I'm confused! :)

scout989

First Post
So here's how it is... subject to AmorFati's approval, that is. When making custom magic items, the base enhancement price is the one that actually applies to the body slot affinity. Any additional powers after that pay an extra 50%, as usual. Any extra powers that do not follow the usual body slot affinities pay an extra 50%, plus an extra 50% on top for affinity, which makes them 100% more expensive. Again, I have to check this with AmorFati, but I think this is how items will be calculated. So, a headband that allows +6 to INT and +6 to CHA will cost 108000.

Shayuri

First Post
Hee. I always figured you could boost ANY mental stat with the headband slot, since the slot affinity is defined as mental enhancement.

Charisma is arguably a mental attribute...so you could have headbands that boost Int, Wis, or Cha...with no body slot adjustment.

If that interpretation is correct.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads