• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fun and Interesting things from the 5e system

Tush Hog

First Post
I thought I would like to start a thread where we shared things that might not be obvious to everyone at first glance.

I'll get us started with one I noticed my second read through:

There are no specific Coup de gras rules but if you're down a person within 5 feet of you attacks with Advantage. If they hit, it's an auto Crit. That's nasty because even if it doesn't reach your instant death threshold it will count as TWO Death Save failures! :cool:

What have you discovered that some of us might have missed?

Last edited:

BoldItalic

First Post
If a High Elf non-wizard takes Dancing Lights, Light or Minor Illusion as his cantrip he needs a specific material component but it's not expended so he can probably just be given it for free.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
There are no specific Coup de gras rules but if you're down a person within 5 feet of you attacks with Advantage. If they hit, it's an auto Crit. That's nasty because even if it doesn't reach your instant death threshold it will count as TWO Death Save failures! :cool:
That's only true if the target is already at 0 HP. If the target is paralyzed or unconscious, but with positive HP, an attack within 5' is an automatic critical, but it doesn't count as a death save failure (of course, if the damage is high enough, the target might be killed outright).

Tush Hog

First Post
That's only true if the target is already at 0 HP. If the target is paralyzed or unconscious, but with positive HP, an attack within 5' is an automatic critical, but it doesn't count as a death save failure (of course, if the damage is high enough, the target might be killed outright).
Yep, that's what I was referring to as "down".

I've had several players get knocked to 0, but I haven't had a creature be "thorough" yet :D

E. Tallitnics

Explorer
Using Darkvision only, a character is at Disadvantage on all Wisdom (Perception) checks.

Moving through any creatures space counts as difficult terrain.

Paraxis

Explorer
Using Darkvision only, a character is at Disadvantage on all Wisdom (Perception) checks.

Moving through any creatures space counts as difficult terrain.

Both true but some side notes on those.

Darkvision, the only two races that don't have darkvision in basic are human and halfling, and the only monster in the starter set not to have darkvision or some other special vision is the wolf.

You can only move through a hostile creatures space if it is two size categories larger than you, unless you are a halfling than you can move though a creatures space only one size larger than you. But yes when you do it is difficult terrain.

Remove ads