• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fun and Interesting things from the 5e system

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
And coupe de ville is a kind of car, though google translates it as "cutting city".

So storm giants wield these cities and do slashing damage.

Thaumaturge.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
And coupe de ville is a kind of car, though google translates it as "cutting city".

Thaumaturge.

In fairness, the implication is the car cuts through the city.....

That said what does the Chevy Coupe do in D&D stats? It's clear a heavy, two-handed weapon that deals some kind of blunt damage.

BoldItalic

First Post

NoNoNo, you have to type coupé de ville, with the acute accent. Then it translates correctly as "brougham", which is a kind of horse-drawn carriage.

Ater they've eaten the horses, they can use the carriages as improvised weapons. Presumably for 1d4 damage, though that seems rather puny. The appropriate giant battlecry is "A new brougham sweeps clean." (edit - added - this is known as horse-drawn carnage)

Also, coupé de grass = mowing the lawn. It's a phrase used by francophone dwarves to refer to a technique for slaughtering hordes of densely-packed kobolds by holding a greataxe at arms length and spinning round very fast whilst advancing slowly and in an orderly fashion.

:laugh:

Last edited:

Paraxis

Explorer
One of the issues I have is that things don't stack.

A prone character restrained in a net on the ground fires his crossbow at an enemy far away who has taken the dodge action and is under the effect of a blur spell the only penalty to the attack is disadvantage.

Extreme example but each of those things gives the attacking character disadvantage, you would expect that the rules would somehow reflect that something giving you disadvantage five times is harder to do than just one thing giving you disadvantage.

Don't get me wrong I like the simplicity of disadvantage/advantage most of the time, but sometimes it just doesn't seem like enough.

Starfox

Hero
Don't get me wrong I like the simplicity of disadvantage/advantage most of the time, but sometimes it just doesn't seem like enough.

Everything depends on the style you're going for; ina any action movie a hero could do this.

If you want it harder, simply roll more dice and pick the worst of them. 5d20, take the lowest is not likely to give you good results!

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
Personally, I'm going to house rule that any character with the Wisdom (Arts and Crafts) skill can spend an action to make a decoupage de grace.

Andor

First Post
Congrats. You just built Fantasy Zorro. :lol:

th_095900775_vlcsnap_2011_09_15_16h20m13s40_122_177lo.jpg

Well, I am rather good with a whip.

Joe Liker

First Post

A prone character restrained in a net on the ground fires his crossbow at an enemy far away who has taken the dodge action and is under the effect of a blur spell the only penalty to the attack is disadvantage.

Extreme example but each of those things gives the attacking character disadvantage, you would expect that the rules would somehow reflect that something giving you disadvantage five times is harder to do than just one thing giving you disadvantage.

I kinda like the idea that, even in the face of such extreme adversity, a hero still has a reasonable chance at success.

If each of those penalties applied individually, the player might not even bother to take the shot -- missing a great opportunity for epic awesomeness.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich

There's two bang-on effects at the table that I like that come out of this.

First, there's little incentive to stack. Instead of piling on the conditions, a player looking at a critter that already has disadvantage on their attacks is going to do something else with their action. It's just not worth dogpiling onto special effects (limiting the 4e-style "big pile of status effects", and the 3e-style "looking for +2 bonuses everywhere and adding them all up to +100").

Second, as mentioned by a few others, it encourages heroic "I'm going to try anyway!" actions, which are always fun if the luck goes the right way.

That said, you could always convert the disadvantage to a stacking -5 penalty....but if you're going to give someone a -25 penalty, you might as well just rule that "Um, you can't" most of the time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads