• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fun and Interesting things from the 5e system

Nebulous

Legend
One of the issues I have is that things don't stack.

A prone character restrained in a net on the ground fires his crossbow at an enemy far away who has taken the dodge action and is under the effect of a blur spell the only penalty to the attack is disadvantage.

Extreme example but each of those things gives the attacking character disadvantage, you would expect that the rules would somehow reflect that something giving you disadvantage five times is harder to do than just one thing giving you disadvantage.

Don't get me wrong I like the simplicity of disadvantage/advantage most of the time, but sometimes it just doesn't seem like enough.

No, i totally agree, and this might be one of the biggest houserules in all of 5e. I would probably slam him with a Disadvantage -2 penalty. Or worse (-4). Hitting someone with a crossbow with those penalties is near impossible.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I don't see how it stops the conga line, you can still move through your allies spaces no matter the size and just treat that space as difficult terrain. So you can still funnel a bunch of melee guys into a hall one at a time and back out again if they have enough movement.

It does not end it completely but it cuts in about half. As soon as one guy cannot get back to the spot he started from, he ends his move clogging the corridor. So the next guy behind him has to go through two difficult terrain squares, so he ends his turn even further inside the corridor, which causes the next guy down the line to go through three difficult terrain squares, and so on. It means that, in that tight quarters scenario (where the conga line was the most problematic) it usually ends it after the first round rather than continuing it for many rounds that way.

Try it out. It's harder to explain in words than see visually.

the Jester

Legend
It does not end it completely but it cuts in about half. As soon as one guy cannot get back to the spot he started from, he ends his move clogging the corridor. So the next guy behind him has to go through two difficult terrain squares, so he ends his turn even further inside the corridor, which causes the next guy down the line to go through three difficult terrain squares, and so on.

Ahh, I see it now- thanks for posting this. I was completely overlooking the fact that allies' spaces are difficult terrain.

jadrax

Adventurer
I thought you can only hide if you cannot be seen at all, not if you are lightly obscured?

This would seem to be correct.

'You can’t hide from a creature that can see you', (page 60 in 0.1). If your only lightly obscured, I think the intent is pretty clear that you *can* be seen. While 'A heavily obscured area—such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage — blocks vision entirely.'

pedro2112

First Post
One of the things that kept popping up yesterday when I was running Lost Mines was using ranged weapons or spell attacks when opponents are in dim light or lightly obscured. What negatives apply to the attack roll?

jadrax

Adventurer
One of the things that kept popping up yesterday when I was running Lost Mines was using ranged weapons or spell attacks when opponents are in dim light or lightly obscured. What negatives apply to the attack roll?

As far as I am aware, no negatives apply in these cases.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads