• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fun and Interesting things from the 5e system

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Basic Rules pg. 79:
Variant: Skills with Different Abilities

Normally, your proficiency in a skill applies only to a specific kind of ability check but in some situations, though, your proficiency might reasonably apply to a different kind of check.
Its something i really liked early on during the playtest that later got removed and was glad to see it back in the final rules!

Basic Rules pg. 110;
What Comes Next
?
Bring your games to life with a suite of enhancements from a robust set of player and DM digital tools to accessories like miniatures, vinyl mats, campaign maps, clothing, and more. It isn’t always possible to gather a regular gaming group. In such situations, Dungeons & Dragons board games present an ideal casual play experience. You’ll also find a variety of digital games that offer a D&D experience across Mac, PC, tablets, and mobile devices.
So a robust set of digital tools (CODE: MORNINGSTAR?) will have accessories like miniatures, vinyl mats, campaign maps, clothing, and more, as well as digital D&D board games for Mac, PC, tablets, and mobile devices. Some interesting stuff in there!

Last edited:

E. Tallitnics

Explorer
Both true but some side notes on those.

Darkvision, the only two races that don't have darkvision in basic are human and halfling, and the only monster in the starter set not to have darkvision or some other special vision is the wolf.

You can only move through a hostile creatures space if it is two size categories larger than you, unless you are a halfling than you can move though a creatures space only one size larger than you. But yes when you do it is difficult terrain.
I was pointing out the Darkvision limitation for players that might think they can create a group of Darkvision-using characters and have their party go lightless into dark places with impunity.

They can, but their passive perception will be at –5 and their active perception at Disadvantage on their rolls. That means they'll probably miss a great many things!

The movement is applicable to anyone, not just hostiles. The sizes you mentioned are for hostiles only.

I've played several games recently where players either didn't move through another characters space, or did so but didn't treat it as difficult terrain.

So I mentioned those things because I see them being skipped or just not used since Basic came out.

Andor

First Post
Hmmm. I just realized, the mounted combat feat from the alpha gives you advantage against any unmounted creature that is smaller than your mount.

Which is perhaps the easiest way for rogues to gain sneak attack. That seems like an unintended consequence. Still, what a pity the lance is not a finesse weapon... Although the whip is... and it has reach... Is it just me or is the image of someone whipping peoples spleens out with great precision becuase they are on horseback a weird one?

Joe Liker

First Post
Resistance and vulnerability are binary states; there is no stacking.

Standing from prone uses up half your movement instead of being a separate action.

Ranged weapons have only two ranges, normal and long (disadvantage). This isn't mind-boggling, but I love the simplicity.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Congrats. You just built Fantasy Zorro. :lol:

I suspect that the mounted advantage + rogues is very much intentional for this reason. That said, I think Zorro is more of a finesse fighter, what with the rapier. Which can incidentally be duel wielded with a whip....

Phoenix8008

First Post
Ranged weapons have only two ranges, normal and long (disadvantage). This isn't mind-boggling, but I love the simplicity.

I LOOOOVE this simplicity! Is it in your normal range? Fine, go ahead. Anything longer than that is just at disadvantage! So easy to remember and apply.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
I suspect that the mounted advantage + rogues is very much intentional for this reason. That said, I think Zorro is more of a finesse fighter, what with the rapier. Which can incidentally be duel wielded with a whip....

Neither the rapier or whip are light, so you cannot dual-wieled them together.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads