• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fun and Interesting things from the 5e system

Is there a cite for this? Page number? I can't seem to find it in either basic or starter set, and it would have some significant impact on the starter set (I'm sure I'm just overlooking it).

It doesn't spell it out in so many words, but it does say that creatures with darkvision see in darkness "as if it were dim light." And elsewhere in the book, it says that dim light imposes disadvantage on Perception checks.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
It doesn't spell it out in so many words, but it does say that creatures with darkvision see in darkness "as if it were dim light." And elsewhere in the book, it says that dim light imposes disadvantage on Perception checks.
Also, it has the side effect of making everyone able to hide in plain sight if you have to use Darkvision to find them.

E. Tallitnics

Explorer
Is there a cite for this? Page number? I can't seem to find it in either basic or starter set, and it would have some significant impact on the starter set (I'm sure I'm just overlooking it).
Basic v0.1:

"Vision and Light", page 65: "A given area might be lightly or heavily obscured. In a lightly obscured area, such as dim light, patchy fog, or moderate foliage, creatures have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight."

"Darkvision", page 65 & 66: "Within a specified range, a creature with darkvision can see in darkness as if the darkness were dim light, so areas of darkness are only lightly obscured as far as that creature is concerned."

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
You can only move through a hostile creatures space if it is two size categories larger than you, unless you are a halfling than you can move though a creatures space only one size larger than you. But yes when you do it is difficult terrain.

This was the anti-conga-line rule. It's not a total end to it, but it's a good deterrent to the full conga-line problem. It's primarily about moving through your ally's space, so creatures could not simply return to the spot they started from if they were their movement away from a foe in tight corridors. It actually originated in a thread here I think.

Paraxis

Explorer
This was the anti-conga-line rule. It's not a total end to it, but it's a good deterrent to the full conga-line problem. It's primarily about moving through your ally's space, so creatures could not simply return to the spot they started from if they were their movement away from a foe in tight corridors. It actually originated in a thread here I think.

I don't see how it stops the conga line, you can still move through your allies spaces no matter the size and just treat that space as difficult terrain. So you can still funnel a bunch of melee guys into a hall one at a time and back out again if they have enough movement.

Psikerlord#

Explorer

This also means all darkvision monsters, who plan ahead, will tend to equip their caverns etc with dim light, so they can see as if in bright light. Otherwise your drow city folk are fumbling about tripping overthings and being unable to find their quill all the time!

jadrax

Adventurer
This also means all darkvision monsters, who plan ahead, will tend to equip their caverns etc with dim light, so they can see as if in bright light. Otherwise your drow city folk are fumbling about tripping overthings and being unable to find their quill all the time!

I don't believe Dim Light + Darkvision = Full Light.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads